Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Nick Lidakis

Default sc, i.e., spread sheet calculator using ncurses

Does anyone use sc, the text based spreadsheet program?

Over the years I've become more fond of the console and
ncurses applications. I've recently found myself using sc
as my first spreadsheet application for our new small
business. Doing initial sales calculations, the program is fast,
easy to use, and being ncurses very easy on the eyes.

There's a bit of info about sc online but not much. I found a nice,
albeit dated, mini-manual online:
www.economics.utoronto.ca/jfloyd/stats/minmansc.pdf

I can foresee issues exchanging data with people who use Excel. But then
I don't know if any of the graphical clients have that capability either.

Thoughts?

P.S. I also find the command line accounting program ledger very intriguing
as well.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Wilko Fokken

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 01:29:15PM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> Does anyone use sc, the text based spreadsheet program?

Hi,

(Not a precise answer to your question):

I remember 'slsc', a text based spreadsheet, based on 'sc', but more
advanced. Unfortunately, Debian doesn't contain it any more.

At least up to Debian 3, this prog was provided.

If you can find an 'slsc' source, you might be instrumental in
bringing it back to life. You'll probably prefer it to 'sc'.

I never saw a manpage or other manual, but I remember the menu
at the top opened on hitting '/'.

Good luck!

Wilko

Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Wilko Fokken

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 08:33:52PM +0200, Wilko Fokken wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 01:29:15PM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> > Does anyone use sc, the text based spreadsheet program?
>
> Hi,
>
> (Not a precise answer to your question):
>

> I remember 'slsc', a text based spreadsheet, based on 'sc', but more
> advanced. Unfortunately, Debian doesn't contain it any more.
>
> At least up to Debian 3, this prog was provided.
>
> If you can find an 'slsc' source, you might be instrumental in
> bringing it back to life. You'll probably prefer it to 'sc'.
>
> I never saw a manpage or other manual, but I remember the menu
> at the top opened on hitting '/'.

I found a tar source of slsc:

http://mirror.safehostnet.com/debian-archive/debian/dists/potato/main/source/math/

Old 07-13-2012, 03:28 AM
John Cunningham

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Nick Lidakis <nlidakis@verizon.net> wrote:

> Thoughts?

At first I really liked it, but I found the lack of Undo functionality
too aggravating to continue using it.

John

Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 AM
Nick Lidakis

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:28:46PM -0400, John Cunningham wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Nick Lidakis <nlidakis@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> At first I really liked it, but I found the lack of Undo functionality
> too aggravating to continue using it.

man sc reveals:

u Undo

But I haven't tried it yet.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Keith McKenzie

Does anyone use sc, the text based spreadsheet program?

Over the years I've become more fond of the console and

ncurses applications. I've recently found myself using sc

as my first spreadsheet application for our new small

business. Doing initial sales calculations, the program is fast,

easy to use, and being ncurses very easy on the eyes.

There's a bit of info about sc online but not much. I found a nice,

albeit dated, mini-manual online:

www.economics.utoronto.ca/jfloyd/stats/minmansc.pdf

I can foresee issues exchanging data with people who use Excel. But then

I don't know if any of the graphical clients have that capability either.

Thoughts?

P.S. I also find the command line accounting program ledger very intriguing

as well.

I often have mc sc fbi mpg123 mplayer on a machine for cli use, with a wm & browser for the internet.
Mainly used sc for fairly simple stuff, whatifs, etc.

I like the commandline, but the internet is not friendly to text browsers.

--
Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
Debian GNU/Linux

Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 01:29:15PM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> I can foresee issues exchanging data with people who use Excel. But then
> I don't know if any of the graphical clients have that capability either.

apt-cache search excel | grep spread | less

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 07-13-2012, 12:20 PM
John Hasler

Nick Lidakis writes:
> Does anyone use sc, the text based spreadsheet program?

My wife uses it extensively in doing the bookkeeping for our business.
--
John Hasler

Old 07-13-2012, 02:05 PM
hvw59601

http://archive.debian.net/sarge/slsc

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jtp9uv$jtr$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-13-2012, 05:39 PM
hvw59601

hvw59601 wrote:

Wilko Fokken wrote:

Does anyone use sc, the text based spreadsheet program?

Hi,

(Not a precise answer to your question):

I remember 'slsc', a text based spreadsheet, based on 'sc', but more
advanced. Unfortunately, Debian doesn't contain it any more.

At least up to Debian 3, this prog was provided.

If you can find an 'slsc' source, you might be instrumental in
bringing it back to life. You'll probably prefer it to 'sc'.

I recompiled slsc. Neat! This is what I did:

1. download 2 slsc source files from the sarge archives
2. tar -xzvf slsc_0.2.3.orig.tar.gz
3. rename slsc to slsc-0.2.3
4. patch -p0 <slsc_0.2.3-8.diff
Next there are 3 depends to satisfy:
5. download libslang1-dev_1.4.9dbs-11_amd64.deb for etch on the archive
+ install
6. download libslang1_1.4.9dbs-11_amd64.deb for etch on the archive +
install
7. download rpm:
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/3/srodzaj/1/search/libtermcap.so.2()(64bit)

8. alien the rpm + install the .deb.
9. link libtermcap.a in /usr/lib64 to /usr/lib
10. comment dh_testversion in debian/rules...
11. dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -rfakeroot
12. dpkg -i slsc_0.2.3-8_amd64.deb

Comes with man page + tutorial:

slsc -C /usr/lib/slsc/tutorial.sc

Blazing colors!