Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Camaleón

Default Shutting down error

Hello,

I'm running an updated wheezy and since weeks ago, when shutting down (or
restarting) the system I can see this message:

[FAIL] Killing all remaining processes... failed.

(here is a snapshot)

http://picpaste.com/shutdown_error-rEoKsztL.png

There are no more errors (I mean, system is running fine), but seeing
"red" letters with a "failed" word all in one line is a bit scaring.
Well, what really worries me is the fact the message is consistent (it
happens at every shutdown/restart) and has not dissapeared yet and I'm
seeing it since long time... :-)

Anyone seeing this message? If not, how could I debug what is generating
this?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 PM
hvw59601

Camaleón wrote:

Hello,

I'm running an updated wheezy and since weeks ago, when shutting down (or
restarting) the system I can see this message:

[FAIL] Killing all remaining processes... failed.

<snip>

Running wheezy also, but I haven't done a dist-upgrade since June 19th.
I get an [ok] for that message. When did you last upgrade? Did you see
it before that?

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jtmu6f$ref$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:32:11 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> I'm running an updated wheezy and since weeks ago, when shutting down
>> (or restarting) the system I can see this message:
>>
>> [FAIL] Killing all remaining processes... failed.
>>

> Running wheezy also, but I haven't done a dist-upgrade since June 19th.

Wow, that's almost a month :-)

> I get an [ok] for that message. When did you last upgrade?

Yesterday (there were no new upgrades for today).

> Did you see it before that?

Yes, the message was present at least since the last 15 days but I can't
be sure for a month ago.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Brian

On Thu 12 Jul 2012 at 16:03:58 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> I'm running an updated wheezy and since weeks ago, when shutting down (or
> restarting) the system I can see this message:
>
> [FAIL] Killing all remaining processes... failed.
>
> (here is a snapshot)
>
> http://picpaste.com/shutdown_error-rEoKsztL.png
>
> There are no more errors (I mean, system is running fine), but seeing
> "red" letters with a "failed" word all in one line is a bit scaring.
> Well, what really worries me is the fact the message is consistent (it
> happens at every shutdown/restart) and has not dissapeared yet and I'm
> seeing it since long time... :-)
>
> Anyone seeing this message? If not, how could I debug what is generating
> this?

I get this message too, but know why in my case. The OS is on a USB
stick and /var/log is mounted on tmpfs. Being lazy and not easily scared
I have not yet set up a way of writing to disk when the machine is shut
down. Commenting out the relevant entry in /etc/fstab sees it go away.

The reason for your getting the same message may be different from mine,
of course. But it does appear logging (or the failure to log) is at the
root of it.