Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   System inventory and complain logging system (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/682882-system-inventory-complain-logging-system.html)

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 07-12-2012 12:06 PM

System inventory and complain logging system
 
Hello all,

i am looking for a web base UI project that can help me to maintain
the inventory , record of desktop complain, complain tickets etc.
any advice please? actually what i wanted to know is, How linux
Pros/Network Admins handle this matter. because there are many UI
available but i need to know what you guys prefer and why?



Thanks,


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAGWVfMnKfDkZRSVG3=yHj5FO-hYCsbgVCEbuajHwbNUAPhBV2g@mail.gmail.com

Camaleón 07-14-2012 11:47 AM

System inventory and complain logging system
 
On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 17:06:49 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> i am looking for a web base UI project that can help me to maintain the
> inventory , record of desktop complain, complain tickets etc. any
> advice please? actually what i wanted to know is, How linux Pros/Network
> Admins handle this matter. because there are many UI available but i
> need to know what you guys prefer and why?

If there are many solutions but you haven't decided for any of them, I
would go for one solution that is available in Debian repositories so it
is easier to administer, manage and debug.

Also, IMO it is very important the selection of a proper backend
database; if you are planning for a big development with thousand of
records you probably prefer a SQL based framework instead using a
solution that uses XML or plain text files for storing the information
while the contrary remains also true (a small user set wouldn't require
for a big database on behind, because administering such a DB can cause
more headaches that other thing...).

Of course, it has to accomplish the requirements you have defined so
consider what are the keypoints you are requesting (availability of input
interfaces, possibility of using add-ons/plugins to add more features,
programming language in what is developed, unicode support for languages
other than Latin/English, event notification, interoperability with third-
party tools, svn/cvs/git for revision control (should required), security
and authentication methods...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jtrm8s$36q$7@dough.gmane.org

Martin Steigerwald 07-14-2012 12:15 PM

System inventory and complain logging system
 
Am Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2012 schrieb Muhammad Yousuf Khan:
> Hello all,
>
> i am looking for a web base UI project that can help me to maintain
> the inventory , record of desktop complain, complain tickets etc.
> any advice please? actually what i wanted to know is, How linux
> Pros/Network Admins handle this matter. because there are many UI
> available but i need to know what you guys prefer and why?

For automatic inventoriing there is fusioninventory for example. Or
facter.

A ticket system would be RT or OTRS.

I am not aware of anything that combines the two functionalities into one.

--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201207141415.53364.Martin@lichtvoll.de">http://lists.debian.org/201207141415.53364.Martin@lichtvoll.de

Erwan David 07-14-2012 12:55 PM

System inventory and complain logging system
 
On 14/07/12 14:15, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2012 schrieb Muhammad Yousuf Khan:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> i am looking for a web base UI project that can help me to maintain
>> the inventory , record of desktop complain, complain tickets etc.
>> any advice please? actually what i wanted to know is, How linux
>> Pros/Network Admins handle this matter. because there are many UI
>> available but i need to know what you guys prefer and why?
>
> For automatic inventoriing there is fusioninventory for example. Or
> facter.
>
> A ticket system would be RT or OTRS.
>
> I am not aware of anything that combines the two functionalities into one.
>

You may want to take a look at glpi which does bth the catalogging part
of the inventry and combines with OCS inventory for the information
retrieval , and also does ticket tracking.

(Sorry Martin that you got first a personnal answer, it was a mistake
from me).


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 50016C5A.2060506@rail.eu.org">http://lists.debian.org/50016C5A.2060506@rail.eu.org

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 07-16-2012 07:03 AM

System inventory and complain logging system
 
Thanks All this has been very informative i always admire and
applicate all the debian members support.
instead of googling and testing the application which is some time
good and some time waste of time.

by you help and experience i can directly catch the solution and work
on targeted approach

Thanks, :)

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
> On 14/07/12 14:15, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2012 schrieb Muhammad Yousuf Khan:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> i am looking for a web base UI project that can help me to maintain
>>> the inventory , record of desktop complain, complain tickets etc.
>>> any advice please? actually what i wanted to know is, How linux
>>> Pros/Network Admins handle this matter. because there are many UI
>>> available but i need to know what you guys prefer and why?
>>
>> For automatic inventoriing there is fusioninventory for example. Or
>> facter.
>>
>> A ticket system would be RT or OTRS.
>>
>> I am not aware of anything that combines the two functionalities into one.
>>
>
> You may want to take a look at glpi which does bth the catalogging part
> of the inventry and combines with OCS inventory for the information
> retrieval , and also does ticket tracking.
>
> (Sorry Martin that you got first a personnal answer, it was a mistake
> from me).
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/50016C5A.2060506@rail.eu.org
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAGWVfMmtqFQ=gthAMb3_HsY14RJZbW+XSq+sG1rviVg1iRQqb A@mail.gmail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:47 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.