Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Rodolfo Medina

Default Debian won't install via businesscard

Hi all.

I couldn't find a solution to my problem on the web.

http://www.us.debian.org/CD/netinst/

I downloaded the file debian-6.0.5-i386-businesscard.iso and burned it onto CD,
then tried to install Debian on my pc. Everything went fine until the `install
the base system' step, when the following error message appeared:

Debootstrap Error
Failed to determine the codename for the release

and it was impossibile to continue. I also tried copying the iso file onto usb
pendrive and also tried to install Debian onto another machine but the error
occurred again and again. Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance
Rodolfo

Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 12 iul 12, 08:31:20, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Debootstrap Error
> Failed to determine the codename for the release
>
> and it was impossibile to continue. I also tried copying the iso file onto usb
> pendrive and also tried to install Debian onto another machine but the error
> occurred again and again. Please help if you can.

I suspect a temporary glitch in the mirror, thy choosing another one.
Otherwise contact debian-boot.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:31:20 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> I couldn't find a solution to my problem on the web.

There's an old wise Latin saying that states "Excusatio non-petita,
accusatio manifesta" :-P

> http://www.us.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>
> I downloaded the file debian-6.0.5-i386-businesscard.iso and burned it
> onto CD, then tried to install Debian on my pc. Everything went fine
> until the `install the base system' step, when the following error
> message appeared:
>
> Debootstrap Error
> Failed to determine the codename for the release
>
> and it was impossibile to continue.

Can you jump to a terminal (alt+F4?, I never remember) to see more debug
messages (if any)?

> I also tried copying the iso file onto usb pendrive and also tried to
> install Debian onto another machine but the error occurred again and
> again. Please help if you can.

It can be a problem with the burned image or the ISO itself, then :-?

Anyway, I recently read that Debian is thinking about dropping the
business card installation media, so consider starting to use the mini-CD
instead :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 12 iul 12, 15:44:28, Camaleón wrote:

> Anyway, I recently read that Debian is thinking about dropping the
> business card installation media, so consider starting to use the mini-CD
> instead :-)

Reference please

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Brian

http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2012/07/threads.html

Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Rodolfo Medina

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:31:20 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>> http://www.us.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>>
>> I downloaded the file debian-6.0.5-i386-businesscard.iso and burned it
>> onto CD, then tried to install Debian on my pc. Everything went fine
>> until the `install the base system' step, when the following error
>> message appeared:
>>
>> Debootstrap Error
>> Failed to determine the codename for the release
>>
>> and it was impossibile to continue. I also tried copying the iso file onto
>> usb pendrive and also tried to install Debian onto another machine but the
>> error occurred again and again. Please help if you can.
>
> It can be a problem with the burned image or the ISO itself, then :-?
>
> Anyway, I recently read that Debian is thinking about dropping the
> business card installation media, so consider starting to use the mini-CD
> instead :-)

>From debian-boot I got no reply. I also tried with another iso file:
debian-testing-i386-businesscard.iso, downloaded from

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-businesscard.iso

, but the problem occurred again.

Rodolfo

Old 07-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Brian

On Fri 13 Jul 2012 at 10:11:50 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> >From debian-boot I got no reply. I also tried with another iso file:
> debian-testing-i386-businesscard.iso, downloaded from
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-businesscard.iso
>
> , but the problem occurred again.

Which mirror are you usingi? Did you try more than one?

Old 07-13-2012, 11:23 AM

On Friday, July 13, 2012 10:50:02 AM UTC, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 13 Jul 2012 at 10:11:50 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
> &gt; &gt;From debian-boot I got no reply. I also tried with another iso file:
> &gt; debian-testing-i386-businesscard.iso, downloaded from
> &gt;
> &gt; http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-businesscard.iso
> &gt;
> &gt; , but the problem occurred again.
>
> Which mirror are you usingi? Did you try more than one?

If you click that link, it is not possible to choose the mirror. How can I change it?
tahnks - rodolfo

Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Brian

On Fri 13 Jul 2012 at 04:23:36 -0700, rodolfo.medina@gmail.com wrote:

> On Friday, July 13, 2012 10:50:02 AM UTC, Brian wrote:
> > On Fri 13 Jul 2012 at 10:11:50 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> >
> > &gt; &gt;From debian-boot I got no reply. I also tried with another iso file:
> > &gt; debian-testing-i386-businesscard.iso, downloaded from
> > &gt;
> > &gt; http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-businesscard.iso
> > &gt;
> > &gt; , but the problem occurred again.
> >
> > Which mirror are you usingi? Did you try more than one?
>
> If you click that link, it is not possible to choose the mirror. How can I change it?
> tahnks - rodolfo

The mirror I'm asking about is the one you used when installing from the
businesscard.iso and which gives the message

Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 00:14:28 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Fri 13 Jul 2012 at 01:45:09 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
>> On Jo, 12 iul 12, 15:44:28, Camaleón wrote:
>> >
>> > Anyway, I recently read that Debian is thinking about dropping the
>> > business card installation media, so consider starting to use the
>> > mini-CD instead :-)
>>
>> Reference please

I read it from here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEzNzA

"(...) Below are some of the most interesting notes from the Monday
session in Managua, Nicaragua concerning the "Debian CD" for the 7.0
Wheezy release from DebConf 12.

(...)

- There's a plan to drop the "business card CD images" of Debian since
they're rarely (if ever) used and tested."

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2012/07/threads.html

Thanks. The thread is this:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2012/07/msg00067.html

It seems there are many Phoronix readers around...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón