Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Eike Lantzsch

Default Iceweasel trouble, anyone else?

Hi:

Debian testing, i386, KDE 4.8.4, iceweasel 13.0.1

Lately iceweasel suddenly started to blank all text on webpages of different
sites. Usually restarting iceweasel helped (sort of). But now even after a
restart it comes up with pages mostly blank, no text and even the menu text
and titles on the toolbars disappear when manouvering three or four clicks.

["FF" for "iceweasel" for brevity]
I used Arial font and switched to Liberation Sans font - no change. Disabled
all plugins, started FF in safe-mode and reset to defaults - no change.
FF throws no error messages in terminal.

I googled about problem but curiously enough, almost all problems of the same
kind seem to be very old FF3 and FF4. FF is unusable for me right now.
Starting FF in terminal renders no error messages.

Anybody else experiencing same problems?

Going back to use Konqueror except for one banking page where it cannot
transmit the password correctly. Trying Chromium for that page.

Later the same evening, trial of Chromium:
Chromium also behaves weirdly. Page is black. Parts of the menubar appear on
the webpage.

Also unusable.

So I think that there is a problem with KDE 4.8.4 or even the X-server (Xorg).

Any ideas?

Regards to all
Eike

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
Casilla de Correo 1519

Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Eike Lantzsch

On Wednesday 11 July 2012 19:20:45 Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Debian testing, i386, KDE 4.8.4, iceweasel 13.0.1
>
> Lately iceweasel suddenly started to blank all text on webpages of
> different sites.
this is how it looks like:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14995214/FF-13.0.1_going_blank.png

Old 07-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 07:20:45PM -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Debian testing, i386, KDE 4.8.4, iceweasel 13.0.1
>
> Lately iceweasel suddenly started to blank all text on webpages of different
> sites. Usually restarting iceweasel helped (sort of). But now even after a
> restart it comes up with pages mostly blank, no text and even the menu text
> and titles on the toolbars disappear when manouvering three or four clicks.

This is a long shot, but...

I recently had issues with iceweasel using 80% of my CPU. I tried
upgrading from 3.something to 10.something in the mozilla.debian.net
repos. That didn't fix it.

I remembered that I had a kernel upgrade recently (from the backports
repo), and I had never rebooted. Rebooting fixed my iceweasel issue.

-Rob

Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 AM
Tony Baldwin

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 08:48:18PM -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2012 19:20:45 Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > Debian testing, i386, KDE 4.8.4, iceweasel 13.0.1
> >
> > Lately iceweasel suddenly started to blank all text on webpages of
> > different sites.
> this is how it looks like:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14995214/FF-13.0.1_going_blank.png

Out of curiosity, if you Ctrl+a (select all), do you see selected text?

If you right-click > view source
do you see the page source, including the text?

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Eike Lantzsch

On Wednesday 11 July 2012 21:52:56 Tony Baldwin wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 08:48:18PM -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 July 2012 19:20:45 Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > Debian testing, i386, KDE 4.8.4, iceweasel 13.0.1
> > >
> > > Lately iceweasel suddenly started to blank all text on webpages of
> > > different sites.
> >
> > this is how it looks like:
> >
> > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14995214/FF-13.0.1_going_blank.png
>
> Out of curiosity, if you Ctrl+a (select all), do you see selected text?
>
> If you right-click > view source
> do you see the page source, including the text?
>
> ./tony
Selecting the text shows only selected boxes - no text.

Thx for your concern.
Eike

Old 07-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Eike Lantzsch

On Wednesday 11 July 2012 21:21:11 Rob Owens wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 07:20:45PM -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > Debian testing, i386, KDE 4.8.4, iceweasel 13.0.1
> >
> > Lately iceweasel suddenly started to blank all text on webpages of
> > different sites. Usually restarting iceweasel helped (sort of). But now
> > even after a restart it comes up with pages mostly blank, no text and
> > even the menu text and titles on the toolbars disappear when manouvering
> > three or four clicks.
>
> This is a long shot, but...
Scuttled!

> I recently had issues with iceweasel using 80% of my CPU. I tried
> upgrading from 3.something to 10.something in the mozilla.debian.net
> repos. That didn't fix it.
>
> I remembered that I had a kernel upgrade recently (from the backports
> repo), and I had never rebooted. Rebooting fixed my iceweasel issue.
Of course, if the upgrade slips in new modules or core libraries while still
the old kernel is loaded, that causes all kinds of problems ...

> -Rob

I logged out, tried a fresh user and logged back in. Iceweasel was back to
normal - until it happens again. I don't consider that "fixed" but it helps me
trudging along.
I strongly suspect the x-server. But nothing really tangible.
Oxygen theme has some glitches too but no show-stoppers.
I switched to Qt curve theme. Will see how it behaves.

I reported the problem to the Firefox developers.

Kind regards,
Eike

Old 07-12-2012, 05:07 AM
"Weaver"

> Hi:
>
> Debian testing, i386, KDE 4.8.4, iceweasel 13.0.1
>
> Lately iceweasel suddenly started to blank all text on webpages of
> different
> sites. Usually restarting iceweasel helped (sort of). But now even after a
> restart it comes up with pages mostly blank, no text and even the menu
> text
> and titles on the toolbars disappear when manouvering three or four
> clicks.
>
> ["FF" for "iceweasel" for brevity]
> I used Arial font and switched to Liberation Sans font - no change.
> Disabled
> all plugins, started FF in safe-mode and reset to defaults - no change.
> FF throws no error messages in terminal.
>
> I googled about problem but curiously enough, almost all problems of the
> same
> kind seem to be very old FF3 and FF4. FF is unusable for me right now.
> Starting FF in terminal renders no error messages.
>
> Anybody else experiencing same problems?

Had a similar issue earlier today, but on SID with Iceweasel 10.0.5

With just three tabs up it started behaving as though it was overloaded.
Could hardly get the mouse to move, very slowly across the screen and the
whole situation behaved as though the browser was semi-frozen.
All of this from trying to load a third tab.

I can't reproduce it now.
Everything is fine.
I've loaded the same pages, exactly and played the video on one that I
couldn't access before.
With those pages loaded I have loaded even more, while the video was
playing with no performance drop.

Some days you can't win.
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 22:07 -0700, Weaver wrote:
> Had a similar issue earlier today, but on SID with Iceweasel 10.0.5
>
> With just three tabs up it started behaving as though it was
> overloaded.
> Could hardly get the mouse to move, very slowly across the screen and
> the
> whole situation behaved as though the browser was semi-frozen.
> All of this from trying to load a third tab.
>
> I can't reproduce it now.
> Everything is fine.
> I've loaded the same pages, exactly and played the video on one that I
> couldn't access before.
> With those pages loaded I have loaded even more, while the video was
> playing with no performance drop.
>
> Some days you can't win.

Firefox is my favorite browser, but compared to other browsers it has
got some drawbacks and not only advantages.
It's very typically for all versions of Firefox I ever used, that if
e.g. the Internet connection is slow for a while, you sometimes can't
switch to another tab, to read something. Sometimes it's hard or
impossible to do anything, from time to time you only can reset the
computer.
People with 56k modems and ISDN might notice that other browser are much
faster and even when sorting the history other browser are much faster
on slow computers.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Johann Spies

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 08:48:18PM -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> this is how it looks like:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14995214/FF-13.0.1_going_blank.png

Just a guess: Are you sure it is not a plugin like NoScript or Adblock
that is blocking some javascript?

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder / Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

"Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give
thee the desires of thine heart."
Psalms 37:4
E-pos vrywaringsklousule

Hierdie e-pos mag vertroulike inligting bevat en mag regtens geprivilegeerd wees en is slegs bedoel vir die persoon aan wie dit geadresseer is. Indien u nie die bedoelde ontvanger is nie, word u hiermee in kennis gestel dat u hierdie dokument geensins mag gebruik, versprei of kopieer nie. Stel ook asseblief die sender onmiddellik per telefoon in kennis en vee die e-pos uit. Die Universiteit aanvaar nie aanspreeklikheid vir enige skade, verlies of uitgawe wat voortspruit uit hierdie e-pos en/of die oopmaak van enige lês aangeheg by hierdie e-pos nie.

E-mail disclaimer

This e-mail may contain confidential information and may be legally privileged and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not use, distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly also notify the sender immediately by telephone, and delete the e-mail. The University does not accept liability for any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or accessing any files attached to this e-mail.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 09:24 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 08:48:18PM -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
>
> > this is how it looks like:
> >
> > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14995214/FF-13.0.1_going_blank.png
>
> Just a guess: Are you sure it is not a plugin like NoScript or Adblock
> that is blocking some javascript?

Take a look at the menu bar .