Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Bob Proulx

Default Iceweasel trouble, anyone else?

Rob Owens wrote:
> I recently had issues with iceweasel using 80% of my CPU. I tried
> upgrading from 3.something to 10.something in the mozilla.debian.net
> repos. That didn't fix it.
>
> I remembered that I had a kernel upgrade recently (from the backports
> repo), and I had never rebooted. Rebooting fixed my iceweasel issue.

Firefox consumed 100% cpu? And it was repeatable? You likely hit the
recent linux kernel leap second bug[1]. FWIW it hit me too. Perhaps
humorously I didn't think it was a kernel mutex problem because
Firefox has so often consumed 100% for no good reason. :-)

Bob

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/1/11

Old 07-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Eike Lantzsch

On Wednesday 11 July 2012 21:21:11 Rob Owens wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 07:20:45PM -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > Debian testing, i386, KDE 4.8.4, iceweasel 13.0.1
> >
> > Lately iceweasel suddenly started to blank all text on webpages of
> > different sites. Usually restarting iceweasel helped (sort of). But now
> > even after a restart it comes up with pages mostly blank, no text and
> > even the menu text and titles on the toolbars disappear when manouvering
> > three or four clicks.
>
> This is a long shot, but...
>
> I recently had issues with iceweasel using 80% of my CPU. I tried
> upgrading from 3.something to 10.something in the mozilla.debian.net
> repos. That didn't fix it.
>
> I remembered that I had a kernel upgrade recently (from the backports
> repo), and I had never rebooted. Rebooting fixed my iceweasel issue.
>
> -Rob

It had to do with system resources, but not CPU usage nor memory shortage. The
/home partition was running out of space. Remarkable is that Iceweasel and
Chromium started to act up without throwing out error messages.
Only gpodder, which was running at the same time, came up with a warning but
later than the browser problems started.

I saw programs acting strangely and unpredictably before in the case of /tmp
running out of space.

Thx to all
Kind regards,
Eike

Old 07-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Rob Owens

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 02:01:08AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Rob Owens wrote:
> > I recently had issues with iceweasel using 80% of my CPU. I tried
> > upgrading from 3.something to 10.something in the mozilla.debian.net
> > repos. That didn't fix it.
> >
> > I remembered that I had a kernel upgrade recently (from the backports
> > repo), and I had never rebooted. Rebooting fixed my iceweasel issue.
>
> Firefox consumed 100% cpu? And it was repeatable? You likely hit the
> recent linux kernel leap second bug[1]. FWIW it hit me too. Perhaps
> humorously I didn't think it was a kernel mutex problem because
> Firefox has so often consumed 100% for no good reason. :-)

Actually it was between 60% and 90% -- typically 80% or higher. I
noticed it for at least a week, until I rebooted. I tried disabling all
addons, just in case, but the problem didn't go away until a reboot.

I'll check out that leap second bug.

-Rob

Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Eike Lantzsch

On Thursday 12 July 2012 06:43:02 Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2012 21:21:11 Rob Owens wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 07:20:45PM -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > Debian testing, i386, KDE 4.8.4, iceweasel 13.0.1
> > >
> > > Lately iceweasel suddenly started to blank all text on webpages of
> > > different sites. Usually restarting iceweasel helped (sort of). But now
> > > even after a restart it comes up with pages mostly blank, no text and
> > > even the menu text and titles on the toolbars disappear when
> > > manouvering three or four clicks.
> >
> > This is a long shot, but...
> >
> > I recently had issues with iceweasel using 80% of my CPU. I tried
> > upgrading from 3.something to 10.something in the mozilla.debian.net
> > repos. That didn't fix it.
> >
> > I remembered that I had a kernel upgrade recently (from the backports
> > repo), and I had never rebooted. Rebooting fixed my iceweasel issue.
> >
> > -Rob
>
> It had to do with system resources, but not CPU usage nor memory shortage.
> The /home partition was running out of space. Remarkable is that Iceweasel
> and Chromium started to act up without throwing out error messages.
> Only gpodder, which was running at the same time, came up with a warning
> but later than the browser problems started.
>
> I saw programs acting strangely and unpredictably before in the case of
> /tmp running out of space.
>
> Thx to all
> Kind regards,
> Eike

I have to eat my words - iceweasel does it again and /home has now 11GB free.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:57 PM
"John W. Foster"

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 22:25 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2012 21:21:11 Rob Owens wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 07:20:45PM -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > Debian testing, i386, KDE 4.8.4, iceweasel 13.0.1
> > >
> > > Lately iceweasel suddenly started to blank all text on webpages of
> > > different sites. Usually restarting iceweasel helped (sort of). But now
> > > even after a restart it comes up with pages mostly blank, no text and
> > > even the menu text and titles on the toolbars disappear when manouvering
> > > three or four clicks.
> >
> > This is a long shot, but...
> Scuttled!
> >
> > I recently had issues with iceweasel using 80% of my CPU. I tried
> > upgrading from 3.something to 10.something in the mozilla.debian.net
> > repos. That didn't fix it.
> >
> > I remembered that I had a kernel upgrade recently (from the backports
> > repo), and I had never rebooted. Rebooting fixed my iceweasel issue.
> Of course, if the upgrade slips in new modules or core libraries while still
> the old kernel is loaded, that causes all kinds of problems ...
> >
> > -Rob
>
> I logged out, tried a fresh user and logged back in. Iceweasel was back to
> normal - until it happens again. I don't consider that "fixed" but it helps me
> trudging along.
> I strongly suspect the x-server. But nothing really tangible.
> Oxygen theme has some glitches too but no show-stoppers.
> I switched to Qt curve theme. Will see how it behaves.
>
> I reported the problem to the Firefox developers.
>
> Kind regards,
> Eike

a suggestion when you have time. Try removing the ./iceweasel file in
the user directory of the user that does not work. then log back in and
restart the iceweasel or fire fox or what ever. sometimes that file gets
corrupted or becomes incompatible if an update is done and iceweasel
does't rewrite the correct start up schema. That is an experience I have
incurred several times with browsers & e-mail apps, esp. evolution.
frosty