Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Dr Beco

Default Netbook acer ao-722 bz-893

Dear Linuxers,

(about debian on Netbook Acer AO-722, BZ-893)

Some days ago I've got an Asus Eee-PC 1215B and I had a lot of trouble
to make wireless and cable to work. To the point I got near a deadline
of 7 days before returning it to the store, and I decided to return
it.

I changed to an Acer Aspire One 722 BZ893, hoping it would work out of
the box. I even got a live debian distro in a pendrive to boot there
in the store, to be sure it would work.

Well, it worked with wrong resolution, but ok. The internet (cable)
was fine for a while. Then I brought it home.

For some unknow reason, I discovered that the internet only work for a
few moments, then it stops. That is eth0.
For wlan0 never appear.

In this rare moments of useful internet using my KDE live distro, now
installed, I was able to install synaptic, update the apt-get, install
wireless-tools, google-chrome, and some other basic stuff.

Now I can't get any internet time anymore. I don't know why...

eth0 simple doesn't get an IP address, and ifconfig doesn't show wlan0.

I'm in kind of a deadline because I need to decide if I'll keep it and
keep trying, or return it for good. I feel very frustrated and
although you doesn't need to know, I could barely sleep this night
because of this problem that is ruining my vacations and finances.

Please, if someone would be kind to guide my step-by-step and make it
work, or if someone knows for sure I better return and buy something
else more "compatible", I'm all ears.

Finished the history, now some tech info:

lspci -nn gives (among other things):

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device [1022:1510]
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Device
[1002:9807]
00:01.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Device [1002:1314]
00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Axalia (Intel
HDA) [1002:4383] (rev 42)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications AR8152 v2.0
Fast Ethernet [1969:2062] (rev c1)
07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. Device
[168c:0032] (rev 01)

Audio is working ok. Just VGA, eth0 and wlan0 needs my attention. I
even don't really care about HDMI or other things I can live without.

A friend of mine gave me an old usb wireless adapter to help me out.
It is a Netgear WPN111. But that doesn't work either.

lsusb gives:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1385:5f01 Netgear, Inc WPN111 (no firmware)

lsmod gives:

Module Size Used by
powernow_k8 10978 0
cpufreq_powersave 902 0
parport_pc 18855 0
cpufreq_conservative 5162 0
ppdev 5030 0
cpufreq_stats 2740 0
lp 7462 0
cpufreq_userspace 1992 0
parport 27954 3 parport_pc,ppdev,lp
sco 7225 2
bridge 39646 0
stp 1440 1 bridge
bnep 9427 2
rfcomm 29629 0
l2cap 24752 6 bnep,rfcomm
crc16 1319 1 l2cap
bluetooth 41827 6 sco,bnep,rfcomm,l2cap
vboxnetadp 4193 0
vboxnetflt 12525 0
vboxdrv 1723671 2 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt
uinput 6376 1
fuse 50924 1
joydev 8459 0
loop 11799 0
snd_hda_codec_atihdmi 2251 1
snd_hda_intel 20035 3
snd_hda_codec 54292 2 snd_hda_codec_atihdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep 5380 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 60487 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_seq 42881 0
snd_timer 15598 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 4493 1 snd_seq
uvcvideo 52127 0
videodev 30089 1 uvcvideo
psmouse 49985 0
i2c_piix4 8328 0
snd 46526 13
snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_ seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
rfkill 13044 2 bluetooth
v4l1_compat 11442 2 uvcvideo,videodev
v4l2_compat_ioctl32 8474 1 videodev
led_class 2433 0
soundcore 4598 1 snd
video 17445 0
pcspkr 1699 0
serio_raw 3752 0
output 1692 1 video
i2c_core 15819 2 videodev,i2c_piix4
evdev 7352 24
snd_page_alloc 6249 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
wmi 4323 0
battery 4998 0
processor 29935 3 powernow_k8
fglrx 2610490 0
ac 2192 0
button 4650 1 fglrx
ext3 106710 2
jbd 37317 1 ext3
mbcache 5050 1 ext3
usb_storage 40217 0
sd_mod 29937 4
crc_t10dif 1276 1 sd_mod
ahci 32870 3
thermal 11674 0
ohci_hcd 19343 0
ehci_hcd 32097 0
libata 133776 1 ahci
atl1c 27315 0
scsi_mod 126725 3 usb_storage,sd_mod,libata
thermal_sys 11942 3 video,processor,thermal
usbcore 123122 5 uvcvideo,usb_storage,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd
nls_base 6377 1 usbcore

I tried to install with modprobe some other modules, but nothing happened:

ath 8006 1 ath9k
ath9k 249976 0
button 4650 0
cfg80211 101496 3 ath9k,mac80211,ath
hid 63257 1 usbhid
led_class 2433 1 ath9k
rfkill 13044 3 cfg80211,bluetooth
usbcore 123122 6 uvcvideo,usb_storage,usbhid,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd
usbhid 33292 0

If I give ifconfig, I get:

eth0 and lo

My /etc/network/interfaces is:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

I tried to write eth0 here, but maybe I'm confused with interfaces,
wicd and network-manager, how to chose one, and how to manage it.
Too much options, none make sense to me. Maybe if someone could help
with one alone...

iwconfig gives:

lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.
vboxnet0 no wireless extensions.
pan0 no wireless extensions.

route -n gives an empty table.

ping 192.168.0.1 gives:
connect: Network is unreachable

The computer is an LED LCD 1366x768, multi-gesture touchpad
CPU AMD Dual-Core Processor C-50 (1.0GHZ)
4GB RAM, 500GB HD, 3 cell battery.

>From a site with the same model I gathered (not confirmed, though):

• Vision AMD - C-Series processor C-50 (Dual Core, 1 MB L2 cache, 1
GHz, DDR3 1066 MHz, 9 W)
• Windows® 7 Starter Edition
• 11.6" HD Resol. 1366 x 768, high-brightness Hardware
• Video ATI Radeon™ HD 6250 Graphics, 256 MB
• AMD A50M Fusion™ Controller Hub 3-cell Li-ion Battery (2200 mAh)
• 2 GB DDR3 (mine is 4 GB)
• 500GB SATA 2.5
• 5 in 1-Build in
• 3rd Wi-Fi 1x1 BGN Wireless Setup Card
• Webcam Acer Crystal Eye 0.3M
• 2 Stereos
• High-Definition Audio Support & MS-Sound
• Multi-gesture Touchpad
• 3 USB 2.0

------

Also, I've tried to install AMD catalyst 12.6 driver, but the monitor
is still in the wrong resolution.

fglrxinfo gives:
X Error of failed request: Badrequest (invalid request code or no such
operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 135 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
Serial number of failed request: 12

I'm not sure what else can I inform to help. Please, if someone has
the patience and time, I'll try this for the next days and I'll reply
as soon as I test the suggestions. Every help is welcome.

My best,
Beco

--
Dr. Beco
A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher

Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Keith McKenzie

> [...]

• Video ATI Radeon™ HD 6250 Graphics, 256 MB

• AMD A50M Fusion™ Controller Hub 3-cell Li-ion Battery (2200 mAh)

• 2 GB DDR3 (mine is 4 GB)

• 500GB SATA 2.5

• 5 in 1-Build in

• 3rd Wi-Fi 1x1 BGN Wireless Setup Card

• Webcam Acer Crystal Eye 0.3M

• 2 Stereos

• High-Definition Audio Support & MS-Sound

• Multi-gesture Touchpad

• 3 USB 2.0

------

Also, I've tried to install AMD catalyst 12.6 driver, but the monitor

is still in the wrong resolution.

fglrxinfo gives:

X Error of failed request: Badrequest (invalid request code or no such

operation)

* Major opcode of failed request: 135 (GLX)

* Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)

* Current serial number in output stream: 12

I'm not sure what else can I inform to help. Please, if someone has

the patience and time, I'll try this for the next days and I'll reply

as soon as I test the suggestions. Every help is welcome.

My best,

Beco

I bought an Acer AO 722-C52kk because it looked good; wished I hadn't, nice machine but, oh the trouble to get it working properly, (sound still using wrong card, or some such).

Your ethernet should just work with almost all Linux distros OOB using DHCP; I think there is a problem there.

Much as I like my troublesome machine, I advise you to take it back & get something running Intel Atom with Intel graphics.

HTH

--
Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
Debian GNU/Linux

Old 07-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Charles Kroeger

Before you give up you might just try the latest installer:

Make a disk from the testing .iso image and
see what its installer can do.

Debian Installer 7.0 Alpha1 release

Choose your architecture and the image you want. I usually download the
'net-install' and burn a disk but I don't see why the smaller images wouldn't
suffice as well.

If you like entertainment, let the installer do the job on its own. If you
don't like that then overwrite it with your personal touch.

--
CK

Old 07-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Dr Beco

> I bought an Acer AO 722-C52kk because it looked good; wished I hadn't, nice
> machine but, oh the trouble to get it working properly, (sound still using
> wrong card, or some such).
>
> Your ethernet should just work with almost all Linux distros OOB using DHCP;
> I think there is a problem there.
>
> Much as I like my troublesome machine, I advise you to take it back & get
> something running Intel Atom with Intel graphics.
>
> HTH

Dear Keith and Charles,

Thanks for your reply! I decided to return it... Charles, I wish I had
this idea yesterday, but now maybe is too late, because the store
already put back windows 7 on it.

It would be so nice to buy a good netbook with debian on it out of the box!

Cheers,
Beco

Old 07-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Charles Kroeger

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:50:02 +0200
Dr Beco <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:

> It would be so nice to buy a good netbook with debian on it out of the box!

I feel like Kitchner at Khartoum alas too late. If you are an American Doctor you
won't be short of money, so I could suggest the best place to go for that,
probably a laptop instead of a netbook with choice of Debian installed and setup:

http://laclinux.com/gnu/Start

--
CK

Old 07-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Worrier Poet

On 07/14/2012 11:14 AM, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:50:02 +0200
> Dr Beco <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:
>
>> It would be so nice to buy a good netbook with debian on it out of the box!
>
> I feel like Kitchner at Khartoum alas too late. If you are an American Doctor you
> won't be short of money, so I could suggest the best place to go for that,
> probably a laptop instead of a netbook with choice of Debian installed and setup:
>
> http://laclinux.com/gnu/Start

I can vouch for that company. Have done business with them in the past
and was always satisfied.

But last time I got a Thinkpad, I contacted Lenovo directly and told
them I wanted a system without Windows on it. They sold me one (at a
$200 discount) that I stuck Debian testing on with no closed source
firmware or drivers. It works very well.

Good fortune to you!
worrier