Old 07-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Keith McKenzie

Default CD image doesn't exist for download?

On 11 July 2012 16:36, Kirsten Milligan <kirsten@suddenlink.net> wrote:

After several attempts over several years, I haven't yet had complete success installing Linux. *I'm hungry to learn, but am very poor at computerspeak, so please be gentle.

I'm trying again. *I know, some steps would be removed from the process if I'd buy disks, but I'd really like to master this.

[.....]

Thanks very much for your attention.
Personally I recommend that you just download a (standard) CD-1 image from the Debian site as you say you are not experienced with Linux.

It will make installation easier for you, & then once that is up & running, start learning about Linux & Debian.

You will get plenty of encouragement from mailing lists & forums to help you learn your new system, but until you have a working system of your own, it will be difficult to explain things.

Another point : Do you want to replace your Win XP, or do you want to have both (dual booting) on your computer.

--
Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
Debian GNU/Linux

Old 07-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Welcome Kirsten,

is there a reason for you not to download the CD image by using
InternetExplorer, Firefox or any other browser?

http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

Regards,
Ralf

Old 07-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 17:41 +0100, Keith McKenzie wrote:
> Do you want to replace your Win XP, or do you want to have both (dual
> booting) on your computer.

We aren't at this point . IMO everybody should get rid of Windows, if
possible, but in this case I recommend to keep XP, for emergency cases,
e.g. a broken Linux.

2 Cents,
Ralf

Old 07-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Doug

[...]

Maybe the OP has a problem burning the software to disk. A good free
Windows program to do that is
burncdcc.exe. It only burns ISOs, so you can't screw it up. Lots of
sources, just Google for it.

--doug

Archive: 4FFDB64E.1000807@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FFDB64E.1000807@optonline.net

Old 07-11-2012, 06:29 PM