Old 07-11-2012, 03:36 PM
"Kirsten Milligan"

Default CD image doesn't exist for download?

After several attempts over several years, I haven't yet had complete
success installing Linux. I'm hungry to learn, but am very poor at
computerspeak, so please be gentle.

I'm trying again. I know, some steps would be removed from the process if
I'd buy disks, but I'd really like to master this.

I navigated to http://atterer.org/jigdo/ from debian.org, and am trying to
follow the instructions on Atterer's page. I'm concerned because near the
top of the page is the following:

'This software is now in "maintenance mode", development has stopped.
Unfortunately, this means that various parts (in particular the GUI download
tool) will remain unfinished,'

with a note above saying that the last update was on 2010-9-23. I wouldn't
think debian.org would send me to the page, if the page were no longer
useful, so I've been plowing ahead.

I have downloaded jigdo-lite
(http://atterer.org/sites/atterer/files/2009-08/jigdo/jigdo-win-0.7.2.zip)
(I'm using Windows XP), and I believe I've successfully got a command line
interface. (I have a black window with a bunch of text that has
proliferated with previous unsuccessful attempts (due to typos and the like)
to access Debian's 6.0.5 CD-1 image.) At the jigdo prompt, I have typed
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.5/i386/jigdo-cd/debian-6.0.5-i386-CD-1.jigdo,
which link location I copied from the list at
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.5/i386/jigdo-cd/.

What seem most pertinent to me, of the things jigdo is telling me, are the
parts that say, "301 Moved Permanently," followed by a URL, then a
"Resolving," followed by a "Connecting," and a "connected," then "404 Not
Found," and "File 'debian-6.0.5-i386-CD-1.jigdo' does not exist!"

I decided to return to the jigdo window, before sending this, to try again,
this time with the CD-1 template; maybe I'd garner more information about my
trouble that way. Now I'm even more confused, because I can't get a jidgo
prompt. There's just a blinking cursor at the left edge, with stuff above
that looks like what I've been entering, but which seems to bleed off the
right edge, though there is no scroll bar at the bottom of the window, and
though I cannot expand the window horizontally (double-headed arrow appears,
but doesn't work). Nothing I type makes a difference to the window; the
cursor just keeps blinking. I tried making the window full-page, but it
looks just the same, only bigger.

Is it clear, from what I've described, what I've done to hang up jigdo, and
why I can't access the CD image for download? Can anyone help me make this
work?

Specifically, is there a way to get back to a jigdo prompt, other than
uninstalling and reinstalling jidgo? And is that CD image really available
for download? And, if so, what do I need to do differently in order to
download it?

Thanks very much for your attention.

Kirsten

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4968825A5AC34D8D84C147B12874134D@acer2e68c49b20

Wed Jul 11 18:30:01 2012

DKIM_SIGNED,FREEMAIL_FROM,RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED,SPF_PA SS,T_DKIM_INVALID,
T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD autolearn=ham version=3.3.2
h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references
:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;
bh=aHPbzjjlc9eOL5nB+WUYdS5/x7NVF7XwJRM0r1DywY8=;
b=RvN/7JWyosm4M7nTQVq1f7xB/Rk0MaUj6YfdhHMiD1bdnC4o4X6yqZedQIuNCe64h5
987KTqld3NmXvC4621Cf9neSxRaSrXZiPGre3aDeoAiWHikYq1 QzB/Uoa+2qirTxaF52
eka8fGXVPOkfJwpyVTV7DtNtq21JdLIMXtORu1leEver8xyr4T zM7DW5K82JuiS75wzf
lr3gMF5dDN2ohhZ4KQRxQJaMgNFveY4T1PvbSpwMeizLr3DfOH k1cCyk3elG5AlAOrhU
74X+4WQyU+/ZRME8g9nLBAARNFq4buhlgj3QZhoIMkkQ9L3UFJgauHgCv4PJX qUSuXi0
RxCg==