Old 07-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Camaleón

Default ATI Propietary driver install in Debian Wheezy (Xorg downgrade to a working previous version)

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 05:56:50 -0300, Ezequiel wrote:

(please, keep html turned off, thanks :-) )

> Hi all: Searching in the Internet I've found a way to make ATI
> propietary driver work under Wheezy. Of course, it implies to downgrade
> Xserver to a version prior to 1.12.
> Now I can wait fglrx 12-5 (wich is supposed to work under the new XOrg.

(...)

In the Spanish mailing list, a user posted an alternative method to
install the latest flgrx package in Wheezy (instructions detailed in this
Debian's forum thread):

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80708#p440494

Not sure what solution (downgrading packages or patching a library) would
be better, though...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Gary Dale

(please, keep html turned off, thanks :-) )

Hi all: Searching in the Internet I've found a way to make ATI
propietary driver work under Wheezy. Of course, it implies to downgrade
Xserver to a version prior to 1.12.
Now I can wait fglrx 12-5 (wich is supposed to work under the new XOrg.

(...)

In the Spanish mailing list, a user posted an alternative method to
install the latest flgrx package in Wheezy (instructions detailed in this
Debian's forum thread):

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80708#p440494

Not sure what solution (downgrading packages or patching a library) would
be better, though...

Greetings,

The problem with using AMD's drivers is that they aren't always current
with the latest X.org. That's probably why there is no fglrx-driver in
the current Wheezy repositories. Moreover, the driver will likely break
later as Wheezy evolves.

I've been down this route myself. Eventually I just settled on the open
source drivers. They work well and are kept updated. The proprietary
drivers are just too much work when running debian/testing.

Archive: 4FFD973D.1090307@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FFD973D.1090307@rogers.com

Old 07-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:09:49 -0400, Gary Dale wrote:

> On 11/07/12 10:51 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 05:56:50 -0300, Ezequiel wrote:
>>
>> (please, keep html turned off, thanks :-) )
>>
>>> Hi all: Searching in the Internet I've found a way to make ATI
>>> propietary driver work under Wheezy. Of course, it implies to
>>> downgrade Xserver to a version prior to 1.12.
>>> Now I can wait fglrx 12-5 (wich is supposed to work under the new
>>> XOrg.
>> (...)
>>
>> In the Spanish mailing list, a user posted an alternative method to
>> install the latest flgrx package in Wheezy (instructions detailed in
>> this Debian's forum thread):
>>
>> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80708#p440494
>>
>> Not sure what solution (downgrading packages or patching a library)
>> would be better, though...
>>

> The problem with using AMD's drivers is that they aren't always current
> with the latest X.org. That's probably why there is no fglrx-driver in
> the current Wheezy repositories. Moreover, the driver will likely break
> later as Wheezy evolves.

That's the usual thing to happen and not only for ATI but also nvidia
closed source drivers. It shouldn't be a problem if these drivers were
ready for the xorg version in place. OTOH, when using a rolling release
(as can be "testing" when not freezed) recompiling the closed source
driver installed from upstream sources is a must when a new kernel is
installed.

> I've been down this route myself. Eventually I just settled on the open
> source drivers. They work well and are kept updated. The proprietary
> drivers are just too much work when running debian/testing.

IIRC, the open source driver still has some problems with powersaving.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Steven Rosenberg

[...]

+1 on this. I just don't think fglrx is worth the trouble.

Archive: 50086484.90106@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/50086484.90106@gmail.com

Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Adrian Fita

On 11/07/12 18:23, Camaleón wrote:

[...]

> IIRC, the open source driver still has some problems with powersaving.

This ^. This is the reason I'm stuck with the xorg packets put on hold
for several months now and I can't upgrade them. Unfortunately I'm
having one of those ATi Radeon graphics chipsets that won't be supported
anymore with the new fglrx driver which is compatible with the xorg 1.12
ABI. I tried the open source radeon driver but it just doesn't cut it
for me. When I run the radeon driver the fan is spinning like mad,
making the machine very noisy; with fglrx the fan starts only when there
is high CPU/graphics activity. I tried all the sugestions regarding
slowing down the chip with the radeon driver (echo profile >
/sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method; echo low >
/sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile), but I couldn't bring down
the temperature enough so the fan would stop whining. So until the open
source radeon improves the power management I'll keep fglrx and xorg 1.11.

--
Adrian Fita