Old 07-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Andrei POPESCU

Default Do ATI HD cards have good working drivers for Linux (Debian Squeeze in particular)

On Jo, 12 iul 12, 09:04:48, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 12/07/12 04:58 AM, Ivo Ugrina wrote:
> >I've bought ATI 6750 a few months ago
> >and I'm not satisfied with FLOSS driver.
> >I can't suspend anymore. The card simply
> >won't shut down.
> Did you file a bug report for it?
>
> I've found the Debian package maintainers to be quite eager to work
> with people to resolve issues relating to their packages. They don't
> have easy access to all the possible hardware variations so they
> need bug reports to alert them to problems.

Err, since they don't have the source code there is not much they can do
about it.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Gary Dale

and I'm not satisfied with FLOSS driver.
I can't suspend anymore. The card simply
won't shut down.

Did you file a bug report for it?

I've found the Debian package maintainers to be quite eager to work
with people to resolve issues relating to their packages. They don't
have easy access to all the possible hardware variations so they
need bug reports to alert them to problems.

Err, since they don't have the source code there is not much they can do
about it.

Kind regards,
Andrei

You said you were using the open source driver.

If you are using the proprietary driver, you would have to file a bug
report with AMD. This may or may not be responded to.

I was having a problem with my new HD 6450 card that the package
maintainer helped me with very quickly. A couple of e-mails and it was
humming along.

As an FYI for anyone using video cards, it seems the latest thing is
move some of the code to the kernel, removing it from the
xorg-server-video driver. This means that I needed a kernel module in
addition to the xorg driver. Once installed and loaded, the video worked
great. This is probably only an issue when you change video cards and
the correct module doesn't get loaded.

Archive: 4FFF6071.1010702@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FFF6071.1010702@rogers.com

Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 12 iul 12, 19:40:33, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 12/07/12 06:41 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >>Did you file a bug report for it?
> >>
> >>I've found the Debian package maintainers to be quite eager to work
> >>with people to resolve issues relating to their packages. They don't
> >>have easy access to all the possible hardware variations so they
> >>need bug reports to alert them to problems.
> >Err, since they don't have the source code there is not much they can do
> >about it.
> >
> You said you were using the open source driver.

You probably meant Ivo, but you're right, I somehow understood he was
talking about the non-free driver

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 07-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Ivo Ugrina

On 07/12/2012 03:04 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 12/07/12 04:58 AM, Ivo Ugrina wrote:
>> I've bought ATI 6750 a few months ago
>> and I'm not satisfied with FLOSS driver.
>> I can't suspend anymore. The card simply
>> won't shut down.
> Did you file a bug report for it?

Nope

I've solved it with disabling KMS

--
Ivo Ugrina

Old 07-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Gary Dale

and I'm not satisfied with FLOSS driver.
I can't suspend anymore. The card simply
won't shut down.

Did you file a bug report for it?

Nope

I've solved it with disabling KMS
That's not a solution. It's a work-around. The bug still exists and
won't be fixed unless it's reported.

Archive: 5002CBBF.8050204@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/5002CBBF.8050204@rogers.com

Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Guy Gold

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM, aditya menon <adityamenon90@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> It turns out that the problem was not having the proper driver for my i3 >processor's integrated graphics. I had the drivers for a previous processor >versions and after this upgrade, I get the maximum resolution supported by >my screen.

Greetings,
I installed some high-end Nvidia cards on LInux (Debian and Ubuntu) lately,
While I don't have the names and models handy, those models had
perfect support , the drivers were up-to-date and showed full
utilization of the hardware power.
The main trouble I had was with Ubuntu's ever-new Kernels, and getting
the kernel sources/ headers to be read by the installation script .
For multiple monitors setup, I used 'nvidia-settings' , and while it
took some times, the correct settings were found, written to
xorg.conf, and the rest is history.

So, just check online that the card your aiming for has Linux drivers,
and you should be fine.

--
Guy Gold