Old 07-11-2012, 02:08 AM
Darren Baginski

Default Wheezy on UEFI

Hi*list!

Today*I*have*installed*Wheezy*on*UEFI*system,*Asus *UX31A*to*be*more*particular.
While*installing*I*faced*some*issues.
Looks*like*installer*can't*recognize*and*do*not*as k*whenever*system*is*BIOS*or*UEFI*and*installs*gru b-pc,
while*grub-uefi*required*in*such*case. Thus making system unbootable.
One need to 'fix' it from the bootable cd/usb.
After*manually*installing*grub-uefi-amd64*and*running*
`grub-install*--bootloader-id=debian`*
you*have*to*run
`modprobe*efivars`
`efibootmgr*-c*-l*'efidebiangrubx64.efi'*-L*Debian`
and*then*remove/edit*boot*entries*with*`efibootmgr*-B*-b*NNNNN`

I*found*those*steps*not*so*easy*to*perform*for*man y*users*and*bielive*such*functionality*should*be*i ntergrated
in*to*the*Debian*installer.
My*question*is*there*a*work*in*progress*on*that?*I f*so,*how*can*I*help*?**

Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Jerome BENOIT

Hello:

There is actually a discussion about it on the debian-devel list.

Jerome

Archive: 4FFCE93E.9020007@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FFCE93E.9020007@rezozer.net

Old 07-11-2012, 06:12 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Mi, 11 iul 12, 06:08:15, Darren Baginski wrote:

> I*found*those*steps*not*so*easy*to*perform*for*man y*users*and*bielive*such*functionality*should*be*i ntergrated
> in*to*the*Debian*installer.
> My*question*is*there*a*work*in*progress*on*that?*I f*so,*how*can*I*help*?**

debian-boot is the mailing list dedicated to developing the Debian
Installer.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Jerome BENOIT <g6299304p@rezozer.net> wrote:
> On 11/07/12 04:08, Darren Baginski wrote:
>>
>> Today I have installed Wheezy on UEFI system, Asus UX31A to be more
>> particular.
>> While installing I faced some issues.
>> Looks like installer can't recognize and do not ask whenever system is
>> BIOS or UEFI and installs grub-pc,
>> while grub-uefi required in such case. Thus making system unbootable.
>> One need to 'fix' it from the bootable cd/usb.
>> After manually installing grub-uefi-amd64 and running
>> `grub-install --bootloader-id=debian`
>> you have to run
>> `modprobe efivars`
>> `efibootmgr -c -l 'efidebiangrubx64.efi' -L Debian`
>> and then remove/edit boot entries with `efibootmgr -B -b NNNNN`
>>
>> I found those steps not so easy to perform for many users and bielive such
>> functionality should be intergrated
>> in to the Debian installer.
>> My question is there a work in progress on that? If so, how can I help ?
>
> There is actually a discussion about it on the debian-devel list.

Please bottom-post.

That discussion isn't about UEFI but about UEFI's Secure Boot feature.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Darren Baginski <kickbsd@yandex.com> wrote:

> Today I have installed Wheezy on UEFI system, Asus UX31A to be more particular.
> While installing I faced some issues.
> Looks like installer can't recognize and do not ask whenever system is BIOS or UEFI and installs grub-pc,
> while grub-uefi required in such case. Thus making system unbootable.
> One need to 'fix' it from the bootable cd/usb.
> After manually installing grub-uefi-amd64 and running
> `grub-install --bootloader-id=debian`
> you have to run
> `modprobe efivars`
> `efibootmgr -c -l 'efidebiangrubx64.efi' -L Debian`
> and then remove/edit boot entries with `efibootmgr -B -b NNNNN`
>
> I found those steps not so easy to perform for many users and bielive such functionality should be intergrated
> in to the Debian installer.
> My question is there a work in progress on that? If so, how can I help ?

For the archives: it's grub-efi and grub-efi-amd64 (not -uefi).

As Andrei pointed out, you might want to ask on debian-boot. I'd add
that you might want to ask whether they could use the Ubuntu
grub-installer patch that detects BIOS/UEFI and installs the
appropriate grub.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Jerome BENOIT

[...]

``EFI and Secure Boot' precisely.

Jerome

Archive: 4FFD3022.1010800@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FFD3022.1010800@rezozer.net

Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 3:49 AM, Jerome BENOIT <g6299304p@rezozer.net> wrote:
> On 11/07/12 09:19, Tom H wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Jerome BENOIT<g6299304p@rezozer.net>
>> wrote:

>>> There is actually a discussion about it on the debian-devel list.
>>
>> Please bottom-post.
>>
>> That discussion isn't about UEFI but about UEFI's Secure Boot feature.
>
> ``EFI and Secure Boot' precisely.

It's also about Debian...

Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch, 11. Juli 2012 schrieb Darren Baginski:
> Hi list!

Hi Darren,

> Today I have installed Wheezy on UEFI system, Asus UX31A to be more par
> ticular. While installing I faced some issues.
> Looks like installer can't recognize and do not ask whenever system is
> BIOS or UEFI and installs grub-pc,
> while grub-uefi required in such case. Thus making system unbootable.
> One need to 'fix' it from the bootable cd/usb.
> After manually installing grub-uefi-amd64 and running
> `grub-install --bootloader-id=debian`
> you have to run
> `modprobe efivars`
> `efibootmgr -c -l 'efidebiangrubx64.efi' -L Debian`
> and then remove/edit boot entries with `efibootmgr -B -b NNNNN`
>
> I found those steps not so easy to perform for many users and bielive s
> uch functionality should be intergrated in to the Debian installer.
> My question is there a work in progress on that? If so, how can I help
> ?

I tried that with the ThinkPad T520 here and failed back then.

But then I missed the modprobe efivars and efibootmgr steps. I understand
the first one, but what do you mean by remove/edit boot entries with
`efibootmgr -B -b NNNNN`?

I might try again to switch this machine to GPT + UEFI.

Thanks,

Old 07-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Darren Baginski

12.07.2012, 00:36, "Martin Steigerwald" <Martin@lichtvoll.de>:
> Am Mittwoch, 11. Juli 2012 schrieb Darren Baginski:
>

> I tried that with the ThinkPad T520 here and failed back then.
>
> But then I missed the modprobe efivars and efibootmgr steps. I understand
> the first one, but what do you mean by remove/edit boot entries with
> `efibootmgr -B -b NNNNN`?

`efibootmgr -B -b NNNNN `
is used to delete boot entries at the uefi boot list, something like it was boot from c: or boot from d:
For some reason managing non-windows boot entries is not possible/limited from the UEFI BIOS itself.
Therefore you need to use efibootmgr to add/edit/remove those entries.
I have to delete Windows boot entry
`efibootmgr` without parameters shows UEFI boot entries like
Boot0000* Windows
Boot0001* Debian1
and then delete Windows boot entry
`efibootmgr -B -b Boot0000`