Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Ezequiel

Default ATI Propietary driver install in Debian Wheezy (Xorg downgrade to a working previous version)

Hi all: Searching in the Internet I've found a way to make ATI propietary driver work under Wheezy. Of course, it implies to downgrade Xserver to a version prior to 1.12.
Now I can wait fglrx 12-5 (wich is supposed to work under the new XOrg.

### All credit belongs to "negafon" from linuxquestions.org, I just added a last step that will be needed if you don't have your kernel development kit installed and shared his solution ####

1-First, you must add the repos to dowgrade Xorg

deb http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20120515T220710Z/ wheezy main
deb-src http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20120515T220710Z/ wheezy main

Tat's a snapshot from May 15, 2012 at 10:07PM

2-Create the file /etc/apt/preferences.d/60xorg_rollback.pref

Package: xserver-xorg*

Pin: origin "snapshot.debian.org"

Pin-Priority: 1001

This makes the priority of "snapshot.debian.org" repos for xserver-xorg package higher than any other, so it will install the version desired

3- In order to prevent apt check the date in the repos (this mechanism prevents accidental installation of older software), we create a file called /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/60ignore_repo_date_check

Acquire

{

Check-Valid-Until "false";

}

4- We make the changes and downgrade xserver-xorg package

as root:

# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade

5- Finally, download the ati propietary driver from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx and run

# sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run

If you don't have your kernel headers installed, you will need to install them with the good old

# aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

If the driver doesn't compile properly, you can have a look at /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log

If you still have problems with kernel dependencies, the "rude" way to install all necessary packages is

# aptitude install module-assistant
# m-a update
# m-a prepare

I hope you find this useful as I did. The original post from linuxquestions can be found at

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/how-do-i-get-my-fglrx-driver-back-946102/

I must apologize for my limited English writing, I hope you'll understand this limitation. Please feel free to make any correction at my spelling or grammar errors.

Saludos!

Zeke

--
¨Como siempre, los ingenieros hicieron un

escándalo, aunque terminaron la maniobra
en la mitad del tiempo que habían rechazado
como imposible¨