Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Mark Panen

Default Installing a new HDD and mounting others

Hi,

I have followed this except to replace ext3 with ext4:

http://linux.justinhartman.com/Installing_a_second_hard_drive

I installed a new HDD and installed Squeeze on it.

When i open My Computer in Gnome i can see and mount the other two HDD's.

But i cannot get the /etc/fstab entry right, on boot i get fsck errors
on the other two HDD's.

Mount them with:

mount -t ext4 /dev/hdc1 /new-disk as an example works once the system is up.

but the /etc/fstab example does not when i reboot.

Is it perhaps that i have the boot flag entry on the other two HDD's?

--
Cheers
Mark

Archive: 4FFB1933.6000409@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FFB1933.6000409@gmail.com

Old 07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Gary Dale

I have followed this except to replace ext3 with ext4:

http://linux.justinhartman.com/Installing_a_second_hard_drive

I installed a new HDD and installed Squeeze on it.

When i open My Computer in Gnome i can see and mount the other two HDD's.

But i cannot get the /etc/fstab entry right, on boot i get fsck errors
on the other two HDD's.

Mount them with:

mount -t ext4 /dev/hdc1 /new-disk as an example works once the system
is up.

but the /etc/fstab example does not when i reboot.

Is it perhaps that i have the boot flag entry on the other two HDD's?

Can you post the lines from your /etc/fstab referring to the two disks?

Archive: 4FFB1CCD.7020305@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FFB1CCD.7020305@rogers.com

Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Mark Panen

I have followed this except to replace ext3 with ext4:

http://linux.justinhartman.com/Installing_a_second_hard_drive

I installed a new HDD and installed Squeeze on it.

When i open My Computer in Gnome i can see and mount the other two
HDD's.

But i cannot get the /etc/fstab entry right, on boot i get fsck
errors on the other two HDD's.

Mount them with:

mount -t ext4 /dev/hdc1 /new-disk as an example works once the system
is up.

but the /etc/fstab example does not when i reboot.

Is it perhaps that i have the boot flag entry on the other two HDD's?

Can you post the lines from your /etc/fstab referring to the two disks?

#/dev/sda /mnt/store9 ext4 defaults,errors=remount-ro
0 0

#/dev/sdb /mnt/store3 ext4 noatime,defaults 0 0

--
Cheers
Mark

Archive: 4FFB4923.8090308@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FFB4923.8090308@gmail.com

Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 19:47:31 +0200, Mark Panen wrote:

> I have followed this except to replace ext3 with ext4:
>
> http://linux.justinhartman.com/Installing_a_second_hard_drive
>
> I installed a new HDD and installed Squeeze on it.
>
> When i open My Computer in Gnome i can see and mount the other two
> HDD's.
>
> But i cannot get the /etc/fstab entry right, on boot i get fsck errors
> on the other two HDD's.

Fsck? Are you sure? :-?

Those errors can be important, can you post them?

> Mount them with:
>
> mount -t ext4 /dev/hdc1 /new-disk as an example works once the system is
> up.
>
> but the /etc/fstab example does not when i reboot.
>
> Is it perhaps that i have the boot flag entry on the other two HDD's?

Unless you are using an old kernel (lenny or ealier releases) I would
mount the partitions by their "uuid" (or id/label/path), avoid using the
old naming system (/dev/sda1...) to ensure you are calling the "right"
device and using "uuid" will be the best option for this.

You can get the partitions "uuid" by:

ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid/

Then adjust the "/etc/fstab" entry accordingly and verify the mount point
is already set.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Lu, 09 iul 12, 23:12:03, Mark Panen wrote:
> On 09/07/2012 20:02, Gary Dale wrote:
> >>
> >Can you post the lines from your /etc/fstab referring to the two disks?
> >

> #/dev/sda /mnt/store9 ext4
> defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 0
> #/dev/sdb /mnt/store3 ext4 noatime,defaults 0 0

Your entries refer to drives, not partitions (unless you really formated
the entire drive, without partitioning). I'll subscribe to Camaleón's
suggestion to use UUIDs or LABELs instead.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Gary Dale

I have followed this except to replace ext3 with ext4:

http://linux.justinhartman.com/Installing_a_second_hard_drive

I installed a new HDD and installed Squeeze on it.

When i open My Computer in Gnome i can see and mount the other two
HDD's.

But i cannot get the /etc/fstab entry right, on boot i get fsck
errors on the other two HDD's.

Mount them with:

mount -t ext4 /dev/hdc1 /new-disk as an example works once the system
is up.

but the /etc/fstab example does not when i reboot.

Is it perhaps that i have the boot flag entry on the other two HDD's?

Can you post the lines from your /etc/fstab referring to the two disks?

#/dev/sda /mnt/store9 ext4
defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 0
#/dev/sdb /mnt/store3 ext4 noatime,defaults
0 0

1) if these your lines, they are commented out so they will be ignored.
2) if the actual lines don't include the "#", you need the partition
number and not just the drive device (i.e. /dev/sda should probably be
something like /dev/sda1)
3) the /dev/sda line includes "errors=remount-ro", which tells the
system to remount it read-only if errors are detected, but the last "0"
tells the system to not check the partition. The final "0" should be "2"
for any non-root partition (you want it checked after the "/" partition,
otherwise it can't be mounted).

4) do the directories /mnt/store3 and /mnt/store9 exist?
5) are the device letters correct? In your original e-mail you referred
to /dev/hdc1, not /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. The device designation doesn't
change between the command line and /etc/fstab. They should be the same
in both cases.

Archive: 4FFCA044.1040306@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FFCA044.1040306@rogers.com

Old 07-11-2012, 03:27 AM
Mark Panen

[...]

gparted sees my two HDD as /dev/sda & /dev/sdb, not in partitions. I
will try find out the partitions numbers of the /devs

I have commented out the lines as squeeze fails to boot with these lines
in fstab.

directories /mnt/store3 and /mnt/store9 exist.

I still don't understand when i go to places and click on the computer
icon it sees all the HDD's and i can mount them?

--
Cheers
Mark

Archive: 4FFCF2BD.2090208@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FFCF2BD.2090208@gmail.com

Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Mi, 11 iul 12, 05:27:57, Mark Panen wrote:

> gparted sees my two HDD as /dev/sda & /dev/sdb, not in partitions.

Of course, the HDDs are sda and sdb, but you need the partition
designations.

> I will try find out the partitions numbers of the /devs

If you can't find your way around gparted try 'fdisk -l' or 'blkid'.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Gary Dale

[...]

gparted also shows the partitions. You mount partitions, not disk drives.

I have commented out the lines as squeeze fails to boot with these
lines in fstab.

I'm not surprised

directories /mnt/store3 and /mnt/store9 exist.

Good.

I still don't understand when i go to places and click on the computer
icon it sees all the HDD's and i can mount them?

It doesn't show the drives. It shows the partitions. The difference
between /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 is important.

Archive: 4FFD7B0E.3080508@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FFD7B0E.3080508@rogers.com

Old 07-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Gary Dale

I have followed this except to replace ext3 with ext4:

http://linux.justinhartman.com/Installing_a_second_hard_drive

I installed a new HDD and installed Squeeze on it.

When i open My Computer in Gnome i can see and mount the other two
HDD's.

But i cannot get the /etc/fstab entry right, on boot i get fsck errors
on the other two HDD's.

Fsck? Are you sure? :-?

Those errors can be important, can you post them?
This is expected. fsck /dev/sda will give an error since it can't find a
file system.

Mount them with:

mount -t ext4 /dev/hdc1 /new-disk as an example works once the system is
up.

but the /etc/fstab example does not when i reboot.

Is it perhaps that i have the boot flag entry on the other two HDD's?

Unless you are using an old kernel (lenny or ealier releases) I would
mount the partitions by their "uuid" (or id/label/path), avoid using the
old naming system (/dev/sda1...) to ensure you are calling the "right"
device and using "uuid" will be the best option for this.

You can get the partitions "uuid" by:

ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid/

Then adjust the "/etc/fstab" entry accordingly and verify the mount point
is already set.

Greetings,
Reasonable advice normally, but first I'd try to understand /etc/fstab.
This seems to be his problem. He's put in entries without understanding
what they mean. Replacing a device name with a UUID is optional and can
be done easily once he's got his /etc/fstab working properly.