Old 07-08-2012, 02:54 PM
hvw59601

Default Alcatel OT-800A + Wheezy

Hi,

I'd like to connect an Alcatel OT-800A cellphone to a Wheezy desktop
with the USB cable that comes with it. Googling is not much help. What
firmware would I use?

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jtc6vs$f1r$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 09:54:51 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:

> I'd like to connect an Alcatel OT-800A cellphone to a Wheezy desktop
> with the USB cable that comes with it. Googling is not much help. What
> firmware would I use?

Firmware? I think no firmware is needed for this :-?

The transfer options would depend on the capabilities of your mobile
phone. I would first read the manual to see what it allows (some models
do not permit to use the USB cable for accesing the phone's internal
memory or SD card storage while others need to be put in a special "usb
storage mode" to enable this possibility).

When you plug the USB cable, run "dmesg" to see how/if the phone is
detected.

OTOH, there is wammu/gammu utility that allows to access the mobile phone
as a modem or to get/send sms messages, phonebook, etc...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-08-2012, 04:25 PM
hvw59601

Camaleón wrote:

I'd like to connect an Alcatel OT-800A cellphone to a Wheezy desktop
with the USB cable that comes with it. Googling is not much help. What
firmware would I use?

Firmware? I think no firmware is needed for this :-?

The transfer options would depend on the capabilities of your mobile
phone. I would first read the manual to see what it allows (some models
do not permit to use the USB cable for accesing the phone's internal
memory or SD card storage while others need to be put in a special "usb
storage mode" to enable this possibility).

When you plug the USB cable, run "dmesg" to see how/if the phone is
detected.

OTOH, there is wammu/gammu utility that allows to access the mobile phone
as a modem or to get/send sms messages, phonebook, etc...

When I plug it in there is nothing in dmesg. It comes with a mini CD
that has all windows stuff. The laptop on this network still has XP on
it, but it is such a drag :-(

Thanks.

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jtcc9v$jhp$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 11:25:35 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 09:54:51 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to connect an Alcatel OT-800A cellphone to a Wheezy desktop
>>> with the USB cable that comes with it. Googling is not much help. What
>>> firmware would I use?
>>
>> Firmware? I think no firmware is needed for this :-?
>>
>> The transfer options would depend on the capabilities of your mobile
>> phone. I would first read the manual to see what it allows (some models
>> do not permit to use the USB cable for accesing the phone's internal
>> memory or SD card storage while others need to be put in a special "usb
>> storage mode" to enable this possibility).
>>
>> When you plug the USB cable, run "dmesg" to see how/if the phone is
>> detected.
>>
>> OTOH, there is wammu/gammu utility that allows to access the mobile
>> phone as a modem or to get/send sms messages, phonebook, etc...
>>

> When I plug it in there is nothing in dmesg.

That's a bad signal ;-(

> It comes with a mini CD that has all windows stuff. The laptop on this
> network still has XP on it, but it is such a drag :-(

That's the usual but what does the manual say on this and how about the
phone technical specs?

OTOH, wammu/gammu cell phone database lists yours as supported (at least
at a certain degree¹) so maybe you need a special cable or you need to
set some configuration within the phone before :-?

¹http://wammu.eu/phones/alcatel/3904/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-08-2012, 06:11 PM
hvw59601

Camaleón wrote:

[...]

Good info. Unfortunately the manual is gone because it was a gift as a
used phone. But I'll try wammu/gammu. Thanks!

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jtcih8$v1l$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 13:11:52 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> OTOH, wammu/gammu cell phone database lists yours as supported (at
>> least at a certain degree¹) so maybe you need a special cable or you
>> need to set some configuration within the phone before :-?
>>
>> ¹http://wammu.eu/phones/alcatel/3904/
>>

> Good info. Unfortunately the manual is gone because it was a gift as a
> used phone. But I'll try wammu/gammu. Thanks!

Operating manuals can be usually get from the manufacturer's site, try
there :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-26-2012, 01:21 PM
hvw59601

Camaleón wrote:

OTOH, wammu/gammu cell phone database lists yours as supported (at
least at a certain degree¹) so maybe you need a special cable or you
need to set some configuration within the phone before :-?

¹http://wammu.eu/phones/alcatel/3904/

Good info. Unfortunately the manual is gone because it was a gift as a
used phone. But I'll try wammu/gammu. Thanks!

Operating manuals can be usually get from the manufacturer's site, try
there :-)

I installed wammu and gammu and connected the phone to a USB port. No
message appeared in kernel.log and lsusb showed nothing new. Then I
selected the configuration wizzard in wammu but in the end you have to
enter the USB address of the phone: and there isn't any :-(

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jurg89$43k$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 07-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Sunday 08 July 2012 16:54:51 hvw59601 wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'd like to connect an Alcatel OT-800A cellphone to a Wheezy desktop
> with the USB cable that comes with it. Googling is not much help. What
> firmware would I use?
>

> Hugo

Did not notice your question before!!

Well my 2 cents:
I had the same cellphone. Never manage to connect it under wheezy. Use to work
fine under squeeze. Then, I don't remember the bug, but I read it long ago, and
there is not much hope to have it fix has the maintener stop maintening the
faulty package. As I had a squeeze machine, I used it for my cellphone, until I
changed it.
Thierry

Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 08:21:12 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:

>>> Good info. Unfortunately the manual is gone because it was a gift as a
>>> used phone. But I'll try wammu/gammu. Thanks!
>>
>> Operating manuals can be usually get from the manufacturer's site, try
>> there :-)
>
> I installed wammu and gammu and connected the phone to a USB port. No
> message appeared in kernel.log and lsusb showed nothing new.

dmesg | grep -i usb

> Then I selected the configuration wizzard in wammu but in the end you
> have to enter the USB address of the phone: and there isn't any :-(

When using gammu/wammu the device has to be configured to be detected as
a modem ("/dev/ttyUSB0") instead a mass-storage device ("/media").
Choosing between the two modes is something you have to do before
connecting the device, from the cell phone itself.

Also, if BT is available you can try with that (if your computer has a BT
adapter, of course :-) )

Greetings,

--
Camaleón