-   -   Unreversable dimmiing of display (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/681107-unreversable-dimmiing-display.html)

Andrew Reid 07-07-2012 08:44 PM

Unreversable dimmiing of display

> I have Debian Squeeze installed on an ASUS EeePC 901, using the i915
> video drivers and linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-686-pae from squeeze-
> backports.
>
> If I dim the display using the KDE power gadget a lot, or allow it to dim
> automatically due to low battery, it dim suddenly to a barely perceivable
> level and I can not restore the display to full brightness without
> rebooting except for a brief flicker when the display is switched off.

I had an older ThinkPad that used to do this, and I never solved it,
but I did find a work-around -- if I did "ctrl-alt-F1" to switch
to a text console, the keyboard brightness controls would work, and
then when I did "ctrl-alt-F7" to switch back to the X-window system,
the brightness would be preserved.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Timothy Balwin 07-07-2012 10:03 PM

Andrew Reid wrote:

>> If I dim the display using the KDE power gadget a lot, or allow it to dim
>> automatically due to low battery, it dim suddenly to a barely perceivable
>> level and I can not restore the display to full brightness without
>> rebooting except for a brief flicker when the display is switched off.
>
> I had an older ThinkPad that used to do this, and I never solved it,
> but I did find a work-around -- if I did "ctrl-alt-F1" to switch
> to a text console, the keyboard brightness controls would work, and
> then when I did "ctrl-alt-F7" to switch back to the X-window system,
> the brightness would be preserved.

This has no effect to the brightness, the screen is dim in text mode also.
It works without problem the kernel from Squeeze.

Mark Blakeney 07-07-2012 11:39 PM

Unreversable dimmiing of display

I had an older Dell laptop with i915 video also and suddenly started
seeing a similar problem to this from Ubuntu 11.04 onwards. No problems
before that. Had the problem for ages. I looked around the forums and
found no solution then I updated the bios in my laptop and the problem
disappeared.