Old 07-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Richard Hector

Default Google Chrome is installed but won't run

On 07/07/12 18:21, Lisi wrote:

I have just installed Google Chrome on a vanilla almost default Squeeze/LXDE
installation. It is there, but won't run. I have tried:

click on icon in menu - nothing happens

launch from launcher - command is accepted, but launcher then hangs

run from terminal - command is accepted, but terminal then hangs

run from terminal with complete path (/usr/bin/google-chrome) - command is
accepted, but terminal then hangs

Run from root terminal - error message comes up:
<quote>
root@Hercules:/home/peter# google-chrome
[2248:2248:412227201:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extr a_parts_gtk.cc(50)]
Startup refusing to run as root.
root@Hercules:/home/peter#
</quote>

At least the last one tells you what's wrong :-)

I'd try running it with strace, in an effort to see what it's trying and
failing to do.

$ strace google-chrome

You might need to install the strace package first, of course.

Richard

Archive: 4FF7E300.7020807@walnut.gen.nz">http://lists.debian.org/4FF7E300.7020807@walnut.gen.nz

Old 07-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Keith McKenzie

I have just installed Google Chrome on a vanilla almost default Squeeze/LXDE

installation. *It is there, but won't run. *I have tried:

click on icon in menu - nothing happens

launch from launcher - command is accepted, but launcher then hangs

run from terminal - command is accepted, but terminal then hangs

run from terminal with complete path (/usr/bin/google-chrome) - command is

accepted, but terminal then hangs

Run from root terminal - error message comes up:

<quote>

root@Hercules:/home/peter# google-chrome

[2248:2248:412227201:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extr a_parts_gtk.cc(50)]

Startup refusing to run as root.

root@Hercules:/home/peter#

</quote>

Help!

Lisi

Just installed it on Wheezy via dpkg -i.

It required :

libgconf2-4 (>=2.27.0)
libcurl3
xdg-utils (>=1.0.2)

HTH
Keith

--

Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
Debian GNU/Linux

Old 07-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Curt

On 2012-07-07, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just installed Google Chrome on a vanilla almost default Squeeze/LXDE
> installation. It is there, but won't run. I have tried:

You could try this:

google-chrome --disable-bundled-ppapi-flash

Couldn't hurt. If that works, you might want to do an

aboutlugins

and disable the "bundled" flashplayer:

(/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so

which is what I did, not because chrome wouldn't start anymore, but
because pages with flash content no longer rendered correctly with their
plugin enabled.

If the above doesn't work, you could always try the old "move the config
out of the way and start with a clean slate" technique by renaming
./config/google-chrome to ./config/google-chrome.bak and trying to start
the browser, or even purging the browser and reinstalling to see if that
does any good.

HTH

Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Lisi

On Saturday 07 July 2012 08:19:28 Richard Hector wrote:
> On 07/07/12 18:21, Lisi wrote:
> > I have just installed Google Chrome on a vanilla almost default
> > Squeeze/LXDE installation. It is there, but won't run. I have tried:
> >
> > click on icon in menu - nothing happens
> >
> > launch from launcher - command is accepted, but launcher then hangs
> >
> > run from terminal - command is accepted, but terminal then hangs
> >
> > run from terminal with complete path (/usr/bin/google-chrome) - command
> > is accepted, but terminal then hangs
> >
> > Run from root terminal - error message comes up:
> > <quote>
> > root@Hercules:/home/peter# google-chrome
> > [2248:2248:412227201:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extr a_parts_gtk.cc(50)]
> > Startup refusing to run as root.
> > root@Hercules:/home/peter#
> > </quote>
>
> At least the last one tells you what's wrong :-)
>
> I'd try running it with strace, in an effort to see what it's trying and
> failing to do.
>
> $ strace google-chrome
>
> You might need to install the strace package first, of course.

I tried this first, and promptly got stuck. :-( The strace does not finish,
but hangs there half way through at a figure 7. I tried several times, then
left it for two or three hours, redirecting the output to a file. It was
still hanging at the same point, but unfortunately the redirect had failed.
There is no other way of actually capturing the output because it is lengthy.
So I'll just have to try again - when I have cleared the mush in my head
sufficiently to work out what I did wrong!

But meanwhile, thanks, all of you, for the help. Much appreciated.

Lisi

Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Sharon Kimble

On 07/07/2012, Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> wrote:
> On 07/07/12 18:21, Lisi wrote:
>> I have just installed Google Chrome on a vanilla almost default
>> Squeeze/LXDE
>> installation. It is there, but won't run. I have tried:
>>
>> click on icon in menu - nothing happens
>>
>> launch from launcher - command is accepted, but launcher then hangs
>>
>> run from terminal - command is accepted, but terminal then hangs
>>
>> run from terminal with complete path (/usr/bin/google-chrome) - command
>> is
>> accepted, but terminal then hangs
>>
>> Run from root terminal - error message comes up:
>> <quote>
>> root@Hercules:/home/peter# google-chrome
>> [2248:2248:412227201:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extr a_parts_gtk.cc(50)]
>> Startup refusing to run as root.
>> root@Hercules:/home/peter#
>> </quote>
>
> At least the last one tells you what's wrong :-)

What version of google-chrome did you install? There are three
versions available, stable, unstable and beta. I installed stable and
got it running with no problems at all on squeeze.

Sharon.

> I'd try running it with strace, in an effort to see what it's trying and
> failing to do.
>
> $ strace google-chrome
>
> You might need to install the strace package first, of course.
>
> Richard

A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian 6,0.5, Gnome 1:2.30+7, LibreOffice 3.4.6
Registered Linux user 334501

Old 07-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Paul Saunders

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 11:46:08 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 07 July 2012 08:19:28 Richard Hector wrote:
> > On 07/07/12 18:21, Lisi wrote:
> > > I have just installed Google Chrome on a vanilla almost default
> > > Squeeze/LXDE installation. It is there, but won't run. I have
> > > tried:
> > >
> > > click on icon in menu - nothing happens
> > >
> > > launch from launcher - command is accepted, but launcher then
> > > hangs
> > >
> > > run from terminal - command is accepted, but terminal then hangs
> > >
> > > run from terminal with complete path (/usr/bin/google-chrome) -
> > > command is accepted, but terminal then hangs
> > >
> > > Run from root terminal - error message comes up:
> > > <quote>
> > > root@Hercules:/home/peter# google-chrome
> > > [2248:2248:412227201:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extr a_parts_gtk.cc(50)]
> > > Startup refusing to run as root.
> > > root@Hercules:/home/peter#
> > > </quote>
> >
> > At least the last one tells you what's wrong :-)
> >
> > I'd try running it with strace, in an effort to see what it's
> > trying and failing to do.
> >
> > $ strace google-chrome
> >
> > You might need to install the strace package first, of course.
>
> I tried this first, and promptly got stuck. :-( The strace does not
> finish, but hangs there half way through at a figure 7. I tried
> several times, then left it for two or three hours, redirecting the
> output to a file. It was still hanging at the same point, but
> unfortunately the redirect had failed. There is no other way of
> actually capturing the output because it is lengthy. So I'll just
> have to try again - when I have cleared the mush in my head
> sufficiently to work out what I did wrong!

This sounds to me like you've found the problem. Strace won't magically
fix your hang, but will simply show you what's happening when the hang
happens. Is it, perhaps hanging on a line like "select (7,"? If so,
then chrome is waiting for filehandle 7 to return some data. You can
read back in the strace output, looking for a line like "open (<some
arguments>) = 7".

Basically, strace has probably given you a lot of good information, you
just need to know how to interpret it (if you want, install
manpages-dev for the documentation on all those system calls).

--
Paul Saunders

Old 07-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Lisi

On Saturday 07 July 2012 11:55:38 Paul Saunders wrote:
> Basically, strace has probably given you a lot of good information, you
> just need to know how to interpret it (if you want, install
> manpages-dev for the documentation on all those system calls).

I need to capture it first! I'll concentrate on that and get back to all you
helpful people when I have done so.

But thanks for telling me what I need to look for when I do capture it.

Lisi

Old 07-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Lisi

On Saturday 07 July 2012 11:47:28 Sharon Kimble wrote:
> What version of google-chrome did you install? There are three
> versions available, stable, unstable and beta. I installed stable and
> got it running with no problems at all on squeeze.

I accepted the one that Google offered me, so presumably Stable. I'm glad to
hear that it can work!!

If necessary, I'll start again from the beginning and reinstall - but I'd like
to have a clear picture of what I ought to have done so that I don't repeat
whatever mistake it was.

Lisi

Old 07-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Lotek

I have just installed Google Chrome on a vanilla almost default Squeeze/LXDE
installation. It is there, but won't run. I have tried:

click on icon in menu - nothing happens

launch from launcher - command is accepted, but launcher then hangs

run from terminal - command is accepted, but terminal then hangs

run from terminal with complete path (/usr/bin/google-chrome) - command is
accepted, but terminal then hangs

Run from root terminal - error message comes up:
<quote>
root@Hercules:/home/peter# google-chrome
[2248:2248:412227201:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extr a_parts_gtk.cc(50)]
Startup refusing to run as root.

Try running it like this:

/usr/bin/google-chrome --user-data-dir --enable-ipv6

root@Hercules:/home/peter#
</quote>

Help!

Lisi