Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 PM
"Leo"

Default restore point needed

Hi!:
*I'am from Uruguay. I'm using Linux till.....
10 years for all servers in my education institution (www.higiene.edu.uy).
*I think it could be un ENORMOUS contribution,
if we can make all upgrades without care of loos all previous
configuration.
*It would be a great step forward, if Linux
"generaitors" could developpe something like "step back", if something is not
working fine when we make an: "aptitude safe-upgrade".
Thank you very much for all your work.
Leo Matteo
lmatteo@higiene.edu.uy
Los felicito a todos los que contribuyren a tener
un sistema operativo formidable y de uso mundial y de licencia
publica.
Prof. Leonardo Matteo
Facultad de Medicina
Universidad de la Republica
Montevideo - Uruguay
*

Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 PM
"Leo"

Hi!:
*I send a mail but I was'nt
suscribe.
*I am from Uruguay, We use Linux system till a
lot of years in our servers. (www.higiene.edu.uy).
I think - if possible for developpers -, that a
"restore point" could be a great step forward.
*When I make an : aptitude safe-upgrade, never
I will now if I will have same problems or now. If iIhave troubles, I c'ant
"revenir en arriere", (come back).
Thank you for pay attention at this
sibject.
*
Muchas gracias.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:28 AM
rjc

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 11:23:23PM BST, Leo wrote:
> Hi!:
> I send a mail but I was'nt suscribe.
> I am from Uruguay, We use Linux system till a lot of years in our servers. (www.higiene.edu.uy).
> I think - if possible for developpers -, that a "restore point" could be a great step forward.
> When I make an : aptitude safe-upgrade, never I will now if I will have same problems or now. If iIhave troubles, I c'ant "revenir en arriere", (come back).
> Thank you for pay attention at this sibject.

Use 'etckeeper' to keep your /etc configuration files in a VCS[0].

[0] git, hg, ...

rjc

Old 07-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Armin Haas

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 07:23:23PM -0300, Leo wrote:
> I think - if possible for developpers -, that a "restore point" could be a great step forward.
> When I make an : aptitude safe-upgrade, never I will now if I will have same problems or now. If iIhave troubles, I c'ant "revenir en arriere", (come back).
> Thank you for pay attention at this sibject.

Did you already consider using LVM and its snapshot capability?

Cheers

Armin

Old 07-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Camaleˇn

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 19:23:23 -0300, Leo wrote:

> Hi!:

Hi Leo but please, avoid using html formatted posts. Thanks.

> I send a mail but I was'nt suscribe.

There's no need to be subscribed to post to this mailing list, I neither
am.

> I am from Uruguay,

Bienvenido pues :-)

There's a Spanish speaking mailing list (debian-user-spanish), you can
also post to there, in Spanish, of course.

> We use Linux system till a lot of years in our servers.
(www.higiene.edu.uy).
> I think - if possible for developpers -, that a "restore point" could be
> a great step forward.

Uh? You man something like the Windows restore points? I've seen nothing
like that for Linux but yes, it would great for users having a similar
option although I barely have used it, in Windows, I mean.

> When I make an : aptitude safe-upgrade, never I will now if I will have
> same problems or now. If iIhave troubles, I c'ant "revenir en arriere",
> (come back).

Well, that's what virtual machines and clone testing machines are for:
before applying an update (or dist-upgrading the production servers) you
first try in the testing computers to see how it goes; should it fails,
you stop and analyze what went wrong before proceeding with the rest of
the systems :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleˇn