Old 07-06-2012, 05:52 PM
cletusjenkins

Default drive labels

I have several USB external drives. I have them formatted as ext3 and have assigned them labels (via tune2fs -L). All of my labels are made up of letters no numbers, spaces or other special characters. When I connect a drive, it's label is displayed correctly in gnome (on the desktop and when browsing in nautilus), but the devices is mounted as /media/usb0. If I connect another, it will show up in the GUI correctly and it actually gets mounted using the label name (/media/filebackup). Is there a way to get my system to mount the drive with the label instead of usb0?

-- clet
debian is my main squeeze

Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Tixy

On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 10:52 -0700, cletusjenkins wrote:
> I have several USB external drives. I have them formatted as ext3 and have assigned them labels (via tune2fs -L). All of my labels are made up of letters no numbers, spaces or other special characters. When I connect a drive, it's label is displayed correctly in gnome (on the desktop and when browsing in nautilus), but the devices is mounted as /media/usb0. If I connect another, it will show up in the GUI correctly and it actually gets mounted using the label name (/media/filebackup). Is there a way to get my system to mount the drive with the label instead of usb0?

I often see this when I install Debian on a PC using a USB stick. The
installer seems to put an entry in /etc/fstab to mount /dev/sdb
at /media/usb0. I just delete this line.

--
Tixy

Old 07-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Paul E Condon

On 20120706_105247, cletusjenkins wrote:
> I have several USB external drives. I have them formatted as ext3 and have assigned them labels (via tune2fs -L). All of my labels are made up of letters no numbers, spaces or other special characters. When I connect a drive, it's label is displayed correctly in gnome (on the desktop and when browsing in nautilus), but the devices is mounted as /media/usb0. If I connect another, it will show up in the GUI correctly and it actually gets mounted using the label name (/media/filebackup). Is there a way to get my system to mount the drive with the label instead of usb0?

I add one line to /etc/fstab for each labeled usb external drive like
the following:

LABEL=gflx1 /media/gflx1 ext3 rw,user,noauto 0 0

And I create the named mount point in /media with:

mkdir /media/gflx1

I have my own system of choosing label values
<mnemonic-letter-group><digits>, but you can create your own
system. (gflx is a contraction of Seagate GoFlex) Don't try to use
labels that are informative of the contents of the drive. You can
easily maintian a text database of <label> <contents>. If you choose
to have the label never change, then the extra work of adding a line
to /etc/fstab is done only once when a new device is originally
acquired and adds very little to the drill of writing and ext3 file
system onto the partition Avoid giving two devices the same LABEL. The
text database is a good aid in this.

Its also a good idea to write the LABEL on a stickum label and place
the stickum label on the device.

HTH
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 07-07-2012, 05:40 AM
cletusjenkins

> I often see this when I install Debian on a PC using a USB stick. The
> installer seems to put an entry in /etc/fstab to mount /dev/sdb
> at /media/usb0. I just delete this line.
>
> --
> Tixy

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if that is the problem I am having, I installed from a CD to an SATA harddrive. The USB drives I have are just for files I can't fit on the internal HD that I boot from. What my issue boils down to is whenever I plug in one of these drives, the automounter ignores the label on the first drive I attach, any subsequent drives work as I expect them to (using the label as a mount point). It doesn't matter which drive I attach, it always just uses /media/usb0 for the first. If I dismount it and then attach another, the 2nd drive gets the /media/usb0 mount point. If I then reattach the first drive, it gets mounted using the label. The automounter just acts "weird" with the first device I attach.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:58 AM
cletusjenkins

> I add one line to /etc/fstab for each labeled usb external drive like
> the following:
>
> LABEL=gflx1 /media/gflx1 ext3 rw,user,noauto 0 0
>
> And I create the named mount point in /media with:
>
> mkdir /media/gflx1
>
> I have my own system of choosing label values
> <mnemonic-letter-group><digits>, but you can create your own
> system. (gflx is a contraction of Seagate GoFlex) Don't try to use
> labels that are informative of the contents of the drive. You can
> easily maintian a text database of <label> <contents>. If you choose
> to have the label never change, then the extra work of adding a line
> to /etc/fstab is done only once when a new device is originally
> acquired and adds very little to the drill of writing and ext3 file
> system onto the partition Avoid giving two devices the same LABEL. The
> text database is a good aid in this.
>
> Its also a good idea to write the LABEL on a stickum label and place
> the stickum label on the device.
>
> HTH
> --
> Paul E Condon
> pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Thanks for your reply. I never thought of trying to specify these drives in the fstab file. I would have thought that doing so would hose-up the auto-mounter. But I'll give it a try.

These are little 1TB drives that get their power via the USB cable, so the first thing I do when I get one is slap an old VHS label (the one for the top of the tape not the long one for the edge) on the back of the drive to catalog what it is for. I haven't bought a VHS tape in at least 9 years, but like a mental patient I've kept every single extra label I ever bought for every single type of media I've used. I even have extra labels for the 8" floppies I used with a mini-computer my school had.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Vi, 06 iul 12, 22:40:49, cletusjenkins wrote:

> > I often see this when I install Debian on a PC using a USB stick. The
> > installer seems to put an entry in /etc/fstab to mount /dev/sdb
> > at /media/usb0. I just delete this line.
> >
> > --
> > Tixy
>
> Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if that is the problem I am
> having, I installed from a CD to an SATA harddrive. The USB drives I
> have are just for files I can't fit on the internal HD that I boot
> from. What my issue boils down to is whenever I plug in one of these
> drives, the automounter ignores the label on the first drive I attach,
> any subsequent drives work as I expect them to (using the label as a
> mount point). It doesn't matter which drive I attach, it always just
> uses /media/usb0 for the first. If I dismount it and then attach
> another, the 2nd drive gets the /media/usb0 mount point. If I then
> reattach the first drive, it gets mounted using the label. The
> automounter just acts "weird" with the first device I attach.

These symptoms match exactly to Tixy's suggestion, could you please at
least show us your /etc/fstab?

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 07-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 10:52:47 -0700, cletusjenkins wrote:

> I have several USB external drives. I have them formatted as ext3 and
> have assigned them labels (via tune2fs -L). All of my labels are made up
> of letters no numbers, spaces or other special characters.

Output sample, please :-)

Also, what Debian version are you using?

> When I connect a drive, it's label is displayed correctly in gnome (on
> the desktop and when browsing in nautilus), but the devices is mounted
> as /media/usb0. If I connect another, it will show up in the GUI
> correctly and it actually gets mounted using the label name (/media
>/filebackup). Is there a way to get my system to mount the drive with
> the label instead of usb0?

In any case, it should be mounted under "/media" using the label, so if
it fails there has to be a reason for it (e.g., naming collisions?).

Attach the USB disk an run "dmesg | tail -20" and "dmesg | grep -i usb",
then put here both outputs.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-08-2012, 02:31 AM
cletusjenkins

>These symptoms match exactly to Tixy's suggestion, could you please at
>least show us your /etc/fstab?
>
>Kind regards,
>Andrei

Ah, you are right, I completely misunderstood what Tixy was saying! I went to try what Paul Condon suggested I saw the line specifying /media/usb0 as the mount point. I've looked at the fstab several times but never noticed it. DOH! Thanks everyone.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:04 PM
shawn wilson

fstab works. However, if it gets unworldly with device records, you can also figure out a udev script that makes the appropriate mount point and mounts when a device is inserted and removes it when the device is removed.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120707002504.GA2663@big.lan.gnu

Old 07-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Camaleón

El 2012-07-07 a las 19:34 -0700, cletusjenkins escribió:

(resending to the list)

> > In any case, it should be mounted under "/media" using the label, so if
> > it fails there has to be a reason for it (e.g., naming collisions?).
> >
> > Attach the USB disk an run "dmesg | tail -20" and "dmesg | grep -i usb",
> > then put here both outputs.
>
> Thanks for assuming I still had a genuine issue(/wasn't an idiot) and
> continuing to offer help to me!

You're welcome but I wonder what makes you think people can think
that...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón