Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Gary Dale

Default bind: Address already in use

This has just started happening. I remotely administer an office by
using ssh and vnc. Ssh is running on a Debian/Squeeze server while I
have vnc on each of the workstations. I've been connecting to the
workstations by running:
ssh -L 5900:<workstation internal IP address>:5900 <external office
IP address>
where the workstation internal IP address is in the 192.168.x.x range.
The external office IP address is the router wan address and the router
is set to forward port 22 to the Linux server.

Today I'm getting the error:
bind: Address already in use
I am connected to the Linux server. but I can't connect to the vnc
servers on the workstations. If I connect without the local forwarding,
I don't get the bind message, so it must be referring to the forwarding.

When I try to access the workstations from another term window with:
xtightvncviewer -encodings "tight" localhost:5900
I get this:
Connected to RFB server, using protocol version 3.8
No authentication needed
Authentication successful
xtightvncviewer: VNC server closed connection

I suspect the latter output is because the local forwarding isn't
happening.

Any ideas?

Archive: 4FF71592.3080602@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FF71592.3080602@rogers.com

Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Gary Dale

[...]

Further to above: This is happening also at a second office that I also
remotely administer the same way.

Archive: 4FF719B0.6030109@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FF719B0.6030109@rogers.com

Old 07-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Chris Davies

Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:
> I've been connecting to the workstations by running:
> ssh -L 5900:<workstation internal IP address>:5900 <external office
> IP address>

> Today I'm getting the error:
> bind: Address already in use

> Any ideas?

The address is already in use, probably from another ssh session using
the same local and/or remote port.

On each end you can try this to identify the other ssh session:
sudo netstat -nap | grep :5900

The last field contains the process name and number.
Chris

Old 07-07-2012, 03:28 AM
Gary Dale

I've been connecting to the workstations by running:
ssh -L 5900:<workstation internal IP address>:5900<external office
IP address>
Today I'm getting the error:
bind: Address already in use
Any ideas?

The address is already in use, probably from another ssh session using
the same local and/or remote port.

On each end you can try this to identify the other ssh session:
sudo netstat -nap | grep :5900

The last field contains the process name and number.
Chris
Nope. It's more likely a bug in the latest Wheezy OpenSSH-client. It's
affecting everything I try to connect to when I use local forwarding.
Either that or someone introduced a bug into the Squeeze ssh server.

I'm the only person using ssh to connect to these servers (one is my
local server in my house).

Archive: 4FF7ACC1.90006@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FF7ACC1.90006@rogers.com

Old 07-07-2012, 03:38 AM
Gary Dale

I've been connecting to the workstations by running:
ssh -L 5900:<workstation internal IP address>:5900<external office
IP address>
Today I'm getting the error:
bind: Address already in use
Any ideas?

The address is already in use, probably from another ssh session using
the same local and/or remote port.

On each end you can try this to identify the other ssh session:
sudo netstat -nap | grep :5900

The last field contains the process name and number.
Chris

Thanks. You were right - sorry about my previous message. I've got some
SID packages installed for KVM that hijacked the VNC ports.