Old 07-06-2012, 02:44 PM
"John W. Foster"

Default Debian stable chromium does not open Facebook

Not sure what the issue is, but, I recently installed debian stable
chromium and set it as the default browser. I'm using only standard
settings & NO plugins. Any idea why Facebook will not open my or any
pages to that browser. There is no error message shown. Just shows the
browser bar, opens the login page & when I log in the next page is
blank. If I open the page source, there is a ton of stuff supposed to be
showing according to the html coding. Too much to post here. I don't
have any security settings just now as I'm trying to get it to work.
Lastly, my system is completely up to date, with no software updates
due.
any ides?
frosty

Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 09:44:37 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:

> Not sure what the issue is, but, I recently installed debian stable
> chromium and set it as the default browser. I'm using only standard
> settings & NO plugins. Any idea why Facebook will not open my or any
> pages to that browser.

(...)

Check if this helps:

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-07-2012, 12:38 PM
"John W. Foster"

On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 15:13 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 09:44:37 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
>
> > Not sure what the issue is, but, I recently installed debian stable
> > chromium and set it as the default browser. I'm using only standard
> > settings & NO plugins. Any idea why Facebook will not open my or any
> > pages to that browser.
>
> (...)
>
> Check if this helps:
>
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=78090
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Well yes that explains it, didn't fix it. I put chromium on my system
because the version of google chrome in debian stable has old adobe
flash embedded in it as far as I can tell. So I was getting a lot of
stoppage when I hit an upgraded flash application. Chromium seems to
by pass that issue.
I was just wondering if maybe there was an updated chromium available,
that has been tested. Perhaps that is what I should have asked. LOl
Later & thanks.
frosty

Old 07-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 07:38:21 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 15:13 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 09:44:37 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
>>
>> > Not sure what the issue is, but, I recently installed debian stable
>> > chromium and set it as the default browser. I'm using only standard
>> > settings & NO plugins. Any idea why Facebook will not open my or any
>> > pages to that browser.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Check if this helps:
>>
>> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=78090
>>

> Well yes that explains it, didn't fix it.

The fix should come later, when you get Chrome from Google.

> I put chromium on my system because the version of google chrome in
> debian stable has old adobe flash embedded in it as far as I can tell.
> So I was getting a lot of stoppage when I hit an upgraded flash
> application. Chromium seems to by pass that issue.

Everybody has their own arguments for going with Chromium or Chrome, but
the fact is that, regardless the chosen flavour, the latest version
available works better.

> I was just wondering if maybe there was an updated chromium available,
> that has been tested. Perhaps that is what I should have asked.

I'm unaware of the existance for such package, sorry.

Maybe you can suggest this package to be backported or if there's enough
interest coming from users, ask about the possibility of being added to a
special repository, something in line of Debian Mozilla's.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Bob Proulx

John W. Foster wrote:
> Not sure what the issue is, but, I recently installed debian stable
> chromium and set it as the default browser.

This is one of areas where I completely disagree with the Debian
methodology. Debian shipped Chromium and Firefox/Iceweasel in their
stable release. That was bad. It was bad because it allowed you to
install it thinking it would be what you wanted. But it isn't. It
can't be. It's availability causes problems.

Also not having it would also cause problems. The upstream release
model is to modify and release it every few weeks. That type of
release model is incompatible with a stable operating system release
model.

In my opinion the best case would be putting fast moving web browsers
into one of the "volatile" areas such as the previously named
"debian-volatile" repository now somewhat confusingly known as
"squeeze-updates". That would have been better than Stable main. It
should track upstream closer than is allowed by the rules of main.

The Debian Iceweasel team has addressed this problem by creating an
additional supplemental repository with newer Firefox versions. This
is located at:

http://mozilla.debian.net/

Note that this is at debian.net and not debian.org and represents an
addition to Debian but strictly speaking is not part of the Debian
release infrastructure. But it is of high quality and works well with
it within the limitations imposed by the upstream. I recommend using
it for Debian Stable desktop browsing.

For example at this moment Iceweasel in Debian Stable is 3.5.16. A
debian-backport from Unstable is available at 10.0.5esr. The latest
available is 13.0.1 from mozilla.debian.net (also available in
Experimental). The 3.5 version in Debian Stable is now looking very
unsuitable for general purpose use on the fast changing external world
wide web.

[As a side discussion, with the Firefox ESR versions there are now two
tracks available. There is a more stable Extended Stable Release in
addition to the latest bleeding edge. Since Unstable is a development
track for Testing and Stable then this is the version in Unstable.
The latest version is available in Experimental.]

Unfortunately there is not an equivalent repository for Chromium.
There could be. It would be wonderful if there were. But at this
time no one has gone through the work to actually do it. This leaves
Chromium users of Debian Stable at a disadvantage as compared to
Firefox/Iceweasel users.

Because of this I cannot recommend Chromium use for Debian Stable
users. Instead I think you should use Firefox/Iceweasel from the
instructions at the http://mozilla.debian.net/ page.

However I do actually support a group that is using Chromium as their
default browser on Debian Stable. I do so by using a Sid chroot. By
using Sid's archive on Stable it allows me to support the current
Chromium version with little effort. This isn't trivial to set up but
it is relatively easy. It would be too much detail to go into here
but basically debootstrap a Sid chroot and then mount it up such that
local users running chromium invoke the Sid version.

This works acceptably well. There are some drawbacks. Notably when
users download files such as .doc files they cannot open them with the
system's libreoffice directly from chromium since that would open them
in the chroot and I am not providing libreoffice in the chroot.
Instead after downloading they must open the document from the system
such as through a file manager. Issues like this are why the
Iceweasel solution from mozilla.debian.net is better. But this does
provide the latest Chromium running on Stable which would otherwise
not be available.

Bob

Old 07-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Stephen Allen

On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 12:33:13PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> John W. Foster wrote:
> > Not sure what the issue is, but, I recently installed debian stable
> > chromium and set it as the default browser.
>
> This is one of areas where I completely disagree with the Debian
> methodology. Debian shipped Chromium and Firefox/Iceweasel in their
> stable release. That was bad. It was bad because it allowed you to
> install it thinking it would be what you wanted. But it isn't. It
> can't be. It's availability causes problems.

Yup agreed -- That was what I thought the purpose of volatile was. I'd
like Debian to keep up with the current release of Google-Chrome with
the equivalent build of Chromium (both stable & beta) but I'd settle on
just a current stable vs of Chromium tracking Google-Chrome Stable.
<sigh>

Old 07-11-2012, 01:05 AM
John Hasler

It isn't. See <http://www.debian.org/volatile/> . You want backports:
<http://backports-master.debian.org/>
--
John Hasler

Old 07-12-2012, 02:40 AM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:05 PM, John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Stephen Allen writes:
>> That was what I thought the purpose of volatile was.
>
> It isn't. See <http://www.debian.org/volatile/> . You want backports:
> <http://backports-master.debian.org/>

No, while that meets the need, I don't think that's what they want.
The posters agreeing with each other (and I agree with them) are
looking for something "official."

For example, RHEL, while being even "more" stable than Debian (they
support it for a decade instead of 2.5 years), keeps the important
*desktop* applications (Firefox, OpenOffice) reasonably up to date and
working (e.g.; Pidgin) when they break due to circumstances outside of
their control (in the case of Pidgin, Yahoo! changed their chat
protocol. Debian left it broken in Etch -- RHEL fixed it).

I do agree with the others that this policy of never updating *for any
reason, even reasonable reasons* is quite a millstone around Debian's
neck. It's ironic that out of all the major Linux distributions, only
RHEL takes (IMO) a sensible middle ground, a balance between stability
and unusability.

--
Chris

Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Mi, 11 iul 12, 21:40:38, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:05 PM, John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:
> >
> > It isn't. See <http://www.debian.org/volatile/> . You want backports:
> > <http://backports-master.debian.org/>
>
> No, while that meets the need, I don't think that's what they want.
> The posters agreeing with each other (and I agree with them) are
> looking for something "official."

But backports are official now (didn't used to), and iceweasel in stable
is still usable in many cases, why drop it?

> For example, RHEL, while being even "more" stable than Debian (they
> support it for a decade instead of 2.5 years), keeps the important
> *desktop* applications (Firefox, OpenOffice) reasonably up to date and
> working (e.g.; Pidgin) when they break due to circumstances outside of
> their control (in the case of Pidgin, Yahoo! changed their chat
> protocol. Debian left it broken in Etch -- RHEL fixed it).

There was a backport for pidgin too.

> I do agree with the others that this policy of never updating *for any
> reason, even reasonable reasons* is quite a millstone around Debian's
> neck. It's ironic that out of all the major Linux distributions, only
> RHEL takes (IMO) a sensible middle ground, a balance between stability
> and unusability.

Debian doesn't have the same resources either.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 07-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Bob Proulx

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> > John Hasler wrote:
> > > It isn't. See <http://www.debian.org/volatile/> . You want backports:
> > > <http://backports-master.debian.org/>
> >
> > No, while that meets the need, I don't think that's what they want.
> > The posters agreeing with each other (and I agree with them) are
> > looking for something "official."
>
> But backports are official now (didn't used to),

Things have changed in this area and Firefox is now available from
squeeze-backports. But that wasn't always true. And I had forgotten
about it since I was using the desktop release track from
mozilla.debian.net which has the newer version. debian-backports is
tracking unstable which has the ESR stable version. But the newer
version from mozilla.debian.net is newer and shadows it.

I am mostly fine with the ESR version in unstable and backports.
That's great. However for most desktop users wanting to "ride the
wave" of the newest available Firefox just like their distant MS
cousins do then mozilla.debian.net with the latest version is the
better choice for them.

> and iceweasel in stable is still usable in many cases, why drop it?

I would argue that only because it suckers people into a pitfall
without any obvious sign that it is a pitfall. People install it
thinking one thing and finding out that it is actually another.

Whereas there are a lot of packages in backports. I wouldn't argue to
automatically add backports to the sources.list file.

Instead I think web browsers have created their own category of
package. One that changes very quickly outside the control of user or
distro. Because they have become special they need to be handled
specially. I applaud mozilla.debian.net for doing so.

> > For example, RHEL, while being even "more" stable than Debian (they

On RHEL I find it rather unusable without also adding the EPEL repo
too. Otherwise the restricted list of packages supported in RHEL
proper isn't useful enough to be useful as a desktop. Okay for a
dedicated server machine. But even then I chafe at missing
functionality.

> > support it for a decade instead of 2.5 years), keeps the important
> > *desktop* applications (Firefox, OpenOffice) reasonably up to date and
> > working (e.g.; Pidgin) when they break due to circumstances outside of

Although I see that Firefox is now up to date in RHEL I remember that
this was one of the problem points in years leading up to this point
in time. I am pretty sure that RHEL previously hadn't had an up to
date Firefox unless the user installed it from elsewhere.

Bob