Old 04-11-2008, 08:59 AM
"Jaisen N.D."

Default how to fix my broken system..

Hai I have a problem here.
I use Etch. I have installed a postgresql package from debian backports, with the following command.

#apt-get -t etch-backports install postgresql-8.3

It installed ythe following dependancies also.
* libpq5 postgresql-client-8.3 postgresql-client-common postgresql-common

After some time I tried to uninstall these packages, But the package postgresql-8.3 remains still. Its not getting un installed, and system became broken.

In synaptic it shows this message.*
Synaptic
E: postgresql-8.3: subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

When I tried in dpkg It shows:
#dpkg --remove postgresql-8.3
(Reading database ... 196875 files and directories currently installed.)

Removing postgresql-8.3 ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/postgresql-8.3.prerm: line 17: /usr/share/postgresql-common/maintscripts-functions: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing postgresql-8.3 (--remove):
*subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

*postgresql-8.3
tried with apt-get

# apt-get remove postgresql-8.3
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
* postgresql-8.3
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 13.9MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 196875 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing postgresql-8.3 ...

/var/lib/dpkg/info/postgresql-8.3.prerm: line 17: /usr/share/postgresql-common/maintscripts-functions: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing postgresql-8.3 (--remove):
*subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

*postgresql-8.3
localhost:/home/user#

# apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
* postgresql-client-8.3 postgresql-client-common

Suggested packages:
* postgresql-8.3 postgresql-doc-8.3
The following packages will be REMOVED:
* postgresql-8.3
* postgresql-client-8.3 postgresql-client-common

0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/1657kB of archives.
After unpacking 9118kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!

* postgresql-client-8.3
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
(Reading database ... 196875 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing postgresql-8.3 ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/postgresql-8.3.prerm: line 17: /usr/share/postgresql-common/maintscripts-functions: No such file or directory

dpkg: error processing postgresql-8.3 (--remove):
*subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
*postgresql-8.3

localhost:/home/user#
Any possible way to fix this?? Please.... I want to remove it and fix my system, that I can install and/or upgrade a lower version of postgreSQL. Please suggest me a working way.

--
(`'.(`'.**.') .')**
`*Jaisen.*..`

Old 04-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-11-2008, 11:46 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

> On 04/11/08 03:59, Jaisen N.D. wrote:
> > libpq5 postgresql-client-8.3 postgresql-client-common postgresql-common
> > #dpkg --remove postgresql-8.3
> > (Reading database ... 196875 files and directories currently installed.)
> > Removing postgresql-8.3 ...
> > /var/lib/dpkg/info/postgresql-8.3.prerm: line 17:
> > /usr/share/postgresql-common/maintscripts-functions: No such file or
> > directory

I would reinstall postgresql-common from backports (or whatever package contains
/usr/share/postgresql-common/maintscripts-functions), then remove postgresql-8.3
then remove postgresql-common

Old 04-11-2008, 01:11 PM
"Jaisen N.D."

This is the result of of a trial to* reinstall postgresql-common on my broken system.
# apt-get install postgresql-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:

* postgresql-8.3: Depends: postgresql-client-8.3 but it is not going to be installed
***************** Depends: postgresql-common (>= 79) but 71 is to be installed

* postgresql-common: Depends: postgresql-client-common (>= 71) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Old 04-11-2008, 01:22 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 06:41:07PM +0530, Jaisen N.D. wrote:
> postgresql-8.3: Depends: postgresql-client-8.3 but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: postgresql-common (>= 79) but 71 is to be installed
> postgresql-common: Depends: postgresql-client-common (>= 71) but it is not going to be installed

you must re-enable backports in sources.list and/or preferences to do
the install.

You can also consider manually extracting the needed file
/usr/share/postgresql-common/maintscripts-functions
from the package.

You can also consider a manual tweaking of the prerm/postrm script of
the package you want to remove.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:55 PM
"Jaisen N.D."

There is no such file /usr/share/postgresql-common/maintscripts-functions in* the package postgresql-common_87~bpo40+1_all.deb . I have checked that.

As I am not thorough dealing with shell scripts I am sending the prerm, postrm files in postgresql-8.3_8.3.1-1~bpo40+1_i386.deb herewith. In prerm, I can see the name of maintscripts-functions, but don't know how to do this. Please tell me whatever tweakening should I do in this, to solve it.

prerm:-
-----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh -e

VERSION=8.3

# Automatically added by dh_installinit
if [ -x "/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3" ]; then
*** if [ -x "`which invoke-rc.d 2>/dev/null`" ]; then

*** *** invoke-rc.d postgresql-8.3 stop || exit $?
*** else
*** *** /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 stop || exit $?
*** fi
fi
# End automatically added section

if [ "$1" = remove ]; then

*** . /usr/share/postgresql-common/maintscripts-functions
*** remove_version $VERSION
fi
-----------------------------------
postrm:-
-----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh -e

# Automatically added by dh_installinit

if [ "$1" = "purge" ] ; then
*** update-rc.d postgresql-8.3 remove >/dev/null || exit $?
fi
# End automatically added section

VERSION=8.3

clean_dir() {
*** if [ -d "$1" ] && [ ! -L "$1" ]; then

******* rmdir "$1" >/dev/null 2>/dev/null || true
*** fi
}

drop_cluster() {
*** # if we still have the postgresql-common package, use it to also shutdown
*** # server, etc.; otherwise just remove the directories

*** if [ -x /usr/bin/pg_dropcluster ]; then
******* pg_dropcluster --stop-server $VERSION "$1"
*** else
******* # remove data directory
******* PGDATALINK="/etc/postgresql/$VERSION/$1/pgdata"

******* if [ -e "$PGDATALINK" ]; then
*********** rm -rf $(readlink -f "$PGDATALINK") "$PGDATALINK"
******* else
*********** rm -rf "/var/lib/postgresql/$VERSION/$1/"
******* fi

******* # remove log file, including rotated ones
******* LOGLINK="/etc/postgresql/$VERSION/$1/log"
******* if [ -e "$LOGLINK" ]; then
*********** LOG=$(readlink -f "$LOGLINK")

*********** rm -f $LOG* "$LOGLINK"
******* else
*********** rm -f /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-$VERSION-"$1".log*
******* fi

******* # remove conffiles
******* for f in pg_hba.conf pg_ident.conf postgresql.conf start.conf environment; do

*********** rm -f /etc/postgresql/$VERSION/"$1"/$f
******* done

******* clean_dir /etc/postgresql/$VERSION/"$1"
*** fi
}

if [ "$1" = purge ]; then
*** [ -d "/etc/postgresql/$VERSION" ] || exit 0

*** if [ "$(ls /etc/postgresql/$VERSION)" ]; then
******* for c in /etc/postgresql/$VERSION/*; do
*********** [ -e "$c/postgresql.conf" ] || continue
*********** cluster=$(basename "$c")

*********** echo "Dropping cluster $cluster..."
*********** drop_cluster "$cluster"
******* done
*** fi

*** clean_dir /etc/postgresql/$VERSION
*** clean_dir /etc/postgresql
*** clean_dir /var/lib/postgresql/$VERSION

Old 04-11-2008, 02:02 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 07:25:14PM +0530, Jaisen N.D. wrote:
> There is no such file /usr/share/postgresql-common/maintscripts-functions
> in the package postgresql-common_87~bpo40+1_all.deb . I have checked that.

ckeck with apt-file or the file Contents for your architecture at
http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/etch-backports/
which package contains that file

Old 04-11-2008, 02:17 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 02:29:37PM +0530, Jaisen N.D. wrote:
> Hai I have a problem here.
> I use Etch. I have installed a postgresql package from debian backports,
> with the following command.
> #apt-get -t etch-backports install postgresql-8.3
> It installed ythe following dependancies also.
> libpq5 postgresql-client-8.3 postgresql-client-common postgresql-common
Did these come from backports or did you end up with a mixed-bag?
Without the backports in sources.list, you could have problems.

I don't know how to solve such problems in synaptic since I've never
used it and I wouldn't suggest switching to aptitude right now.

Doug.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:39 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Jaisen N.D. wrote:
There is no such file
/usr/share/postgresql-common/maintscripts-functions in the package
postgresql-common_87~bpo40+1_all.deb . I have checked that.

well, don't know what postresql uses that file for, but you could try
"touch /usr/share/postgresql-common/maintscripts-functions" and see it
installation proceeds. If it does, I can't promise postgresql will
function correctly, but then again, that could just be an error checking
script for installation. This package is broken. As Ron said, file a
bug report (or check on the bugs and see if they listed a solution).

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 04-11-2008, 04:27 PM
"Jaisen N.D."

Creating an empty file doesnt fix it:- result:
# touch /usr/share/postgresql-common/maintscripts-functions
localhost:/home/user# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
* postgresql-client-8.3 postgresql-client-common
Suggested packages:
* postgresql-8.3 postgresql-doc-8.3

The following packages will be REMOVED:
* postgresql-8.3
* postgresql-client-8.3 postgresql-client-common
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Need to get 0B/1657kB of archives.
After unpacking 9118kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
* postgresql-client-8.3
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y

(Reading database ... 196875 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing postgresql-8.3 ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/postgresql-8.3.prerm: line 18: remove_version: command not found
dpkg: error processing postgresql-8.3 (--remove):

*subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
*postgresql-8.3
localhost:/home/user#

I checked in http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/etch-backports/* and I found** maintscripts-functions is there in postgresql-client-common_87~bpo40+1_all.deb. But GDebi package installer refused to install it, as the package index is broken. So I downloaded this package, and extracted the file maintscripts-functions from it and created a directory /usr/share/postgresql-common/ and copied it to it. then issued commands

#dpkg --remove postgresql-8.3
#dpkg --purge postgresql-8.3

and then removed the file from /usr/share/postgresql-common/maintscripts-functions and the folder /usr/share/postgresql-common/ .

Then issued:-

#apt-get upgrade

Problem resolved...

Thanks to all, and a special thanks to this human:- NN_il_Confusionario <pinkof.pallus@tiscalinet.it> as he (or she?) made me how to handle an issue of this type..