Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 PM
"Mumia W.."

Default how to fix my broken system..

On 04/11/2008 03:59 AM, Jaisen N.D. wrote:

Hai I have a problem here.
I use Etch. I have installed a postgresql package from debian backports,
with the following command.
#apt-get -t etch-backports install postgresql-8.3
[...]

For future reference, you almost never need to use "-t <distribution>"
when using backports.org. Instead you set up your /etc/apt/sources.list
to pull from only the directories on backports.org that support your
chosen distribution.

Read the dpkg manual page and look into the "--force" options because
you may have to remove postgresql-8.3 by force. Pay special attention to
the warning on the dpkg manual page.

Good luck.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:29 AM
Chris Bannister

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:48:15PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 04/11/2008 03:59 AM, Jaisen N.D. wrote:
>> Hai I have a problem here.
>> I use Etch. I have installed a postgresql package from debian backports,
>> with the following command.
>> #apt-get -t etch-backports install postgresql-8.3
>> [...]
>
> For future reference, you almost never need to use "-t <distribution>"
> when using backports.org. Instead you set up your /etc/apt/sources.list
> to pull from only the directories on backports.org that support your
> chosen distribution.

That is only if you set up apt pinning.

================================================== ================================
Using backports.org is very simple:

1. Add this line

deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free

2. Run apt-get update

3. All backports are deactivated by default. If you want to install
something from backports run:

apt-get -t etch-backports install "package"

You can also use pinning:
Then you have to set a higher priority for each backport, yes that means
every backport, also for every dependency. For mutt, you have to add
these lines:

Package: mutt
Pin: release a=etch-backports
Pin-Priority: 999

to your /etc/apt/preferences (if you haven't used pinning before, the
file has to be created).

Then run apt-get install mutt as usual.

================================================== ==============================

Unless it has changed recently.

--
Chris.
======

Old 04-13-2008, 07:21 AM
"Mumia W.."

I use Etch. I have installed a postgresql package from debian backports,
with the following command.
#apt-get -t etch-backports install postgresql-8.3
[...]
For future reference, you almost never need to use "-t <distribution>"
when using backports.org. Instead you set up your /etc/apt/sources.list
to pull from only the directories on backports.org that support your
chosen distribution.

That is only if you set up apt pinning.
[...]

Oops, of course you're right. I'd forgotten that I pinned backports.org
to have a priority less than 500. Thanks.