Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Alternative(s) to VirtualBox (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/680267-alternative-s-virtualbox.html)

Carl Fink 07-05-2012 02:29 AM

Alternative(s) to VirtualBox
 
So I have at various times installed VMWare Player, VMWare Server, and
VirtualBox. Host was Debian, guest was Windows, generally but not always XP
Pro.

VB's Guest Additions' video driver doesn't work correctly with Adobe
Premiere Elements. I have filed a bug at Oracle's site, but no action yet
after five weeks.

I tried kvm, but virt-manager reports "Unable to connect to libvirt" even
though libvirtd is running.

If I start kvm from the command line I get:

WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /home/carlf/.cache/keyring-7jbXBL/pkcs11: No such file or directory
error: failed to get domain '/mnt/data/kvm-images/xp2'
error: An error occurred, but the cause is unknown

So anyone have another suggestion? VMWare doesn't appeal to me--I didn't
like it much when I tried it years ago and it's very, very proprietary.

Xen seems to be more difficult to set up than the above-mentioned and
Windows support is not complete--although the implication of the Xen docs
is that even without paravirtualization it wouldn't run *slower* than under
VB.

Any kvm experts who can help me debug? Anyone got a brilliant howto or FAQ
to point me to? Should I file a bug against Debian's kvm/qemu? Any advice
much appreciated. I'm currently running Testing on an AMD FX-8120-based
system.

Thanks.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120705022951.GA13310@panix.com">http://lists.debian.org/20120705022951.GA13310@panix.com

Dominique Dumont 07-05-2012 11:46 AM

Alternative(s) to VirtualBox
 
On Thursday 05 July 2012 04:29:51 Carl Fink wrote:
> I tried kvm, but virt-manager reports "Unable to connect to libvirt" even
> though libvirtd is running.

As mentioned in /usr/share/doc/libvirt-bin/README.debian,
"Access to the libvirt socket is controlled by membership in the "libvirt"
group.
If you want to manage VMs as non root you need to add a user to that group."


HTH

--
https://github.com/dod38fr/config-model/ -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/
http://ddumont.wordpress.com/ -o- irc: dod at irc.debian.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201207051346.11464.dominique.dumont@hp.com">http://lists.debian.org/201207051346.11464.dominique.dumont@hp.com

Anand Sivaram 07-05-2012 05:01 PM

Alternative(s) to VirtualBox
 
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> wrote:

So I have at various times installed VMWare Player, VMWare Server, and

VirtualBox. Host was Debian, guest was Windows, generally but not always XP

Pro.



VB's Guest Additions' video driver doesn't work correctly with Adobe

Premiere Elements. I have filed a bug at Oracle's site, but no action yet

after five weeks.



I tried kvm, but virt-manager reports "Unable to connect to libvirt" even

though libvirtd is running.



If I start kvm from the command line I get:



WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /home/carlf/.cache/keyring-7jbXBL/pkcs11: No such file or directory

error: failed to get domain '/mnt/data/kvm-images/xp2'

error: An error occurred, but the cause is unknown



So anyone have another suggestion? VMWare doesn't appeal to me--I didn't

like it much when I tried it years ago and it's very, very proprietary.



Xen seems to be more difficult to set up than the above-mentioned and

Windows support is not complete--although the implication of the Xen docs

is that even without paravirtualization it wouldn't run *slower* than under

VB.



Any kvm experts who can help me debug? Anyone got a brilliant howto or FAQ

to point me to? Should I file a bug against Debian's kvm/qemu? Any advice

much appreciated. I'm currently running Testing on an AMD FX-8120-based

system.



Thanks.

--

Carl Fink * * * * * * * * * * * * * nitpicking@nitpicking.com



Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. *Reviews! *Observations!

Stupid mistakes you can correct!





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120705022951.GA13310@panix.com





Carl,
I once wrote an article about using KVM for kernel development. *You could see that here.

http://saurorja.org/2011/07/04/creating-a-minimal-kernel-development-setup-using-kvmqemu/
I always use kvm/qemu especially with XP guest and it is working fine. *But I am not using libvirt now, so IO is a bit slow then.

Anand
--
http://saurorja.org

Twitter: @anand_sivaram

Gary Dale 07-05-2012 05:32 PM

Alternative(s) to VirtualBox
 
On 04/07/12 10:29 PM, Carl Fink wrote:

So I have at various times installed VMWare Player, VMWare Server, and
VirtualBox. Host was Debian, guest was Windows, generally but not always XP
Pro.

VB's Guest Additions' video driver doesn't work correctly with Adobe
Premiere Elements. I have filed a bug at Oracle's site, but no action yet
after five weeks.

I tried kvm, but virt-manager reports "Unable to connect to libvirt" even
though libvirtd is running.

If I start kvm from the command line I get:

WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /home/carlf/.cache/keyring-7jbXBL/pkcs11: No such file or directory
error: failed to get domain '/mnt/data/kvm-images/xp2'
error: An error occurred, but the cause is unknown

So anyone have another suggestion? VMWare doesn't appeal to me--I didn't
like it much when I tried it years ago and it's very, very proprietary.

Xen seems to be more difficult to set up than the above-mentioned and
Windows support is not complete--although the implication of the Xen docs
is that even without paravirtualization it wouldn't run *slower* than under
VB.

Any kvm experts who can help me debug? Anyone got a brilliant howto or FAQ
to point me to? Should I file a bug against Debian's kvm/qemu? Any advice
much appreciated. I'm currently running Testing on an AMD FX-8120-based
system.

Thanks.

Use virt-manager. It makes running VMs really easy.

My experience is that KVM is great for most purposes. However,
VirtualBox can run on Windows so it is also useful if you need to run
VMs in that environment.


If you need the best DirectX support, you have little choice but to go
with vmware. For example, AutoCAD is an ubiquitous product that keeps
people tied to their Windows boxes. I couldn't get VirtualBox to work
with it but VMware handled it without doing anything special.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4FF5CF97.2030103@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FF5CF97.2030103@rogers.com

Camaleón 07-05-2012 05:43 PM

Alternative(s) to VirtualBox
 
On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 22:29:51 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:

> So I have at various times installed VMWare Player, VMWare Server, and
> VirtualBox. Host was Debian, guest was Windows, generally but not always
> XP Pro.
>
> VB's Guest Additions' video driver doesn't work correctly with Adobe
> Premiere Elements. I have filed a bug at Oracle's site, but no action
> yet after five weeks.

(...)

A quick note on this.

Have you tried with a different version of VirtualBox? Maybe you can
overcome this problem by installing an older release of both, VB and
guest additions.

Also, check if the application you're running (Premiere Elements) does
provide an option to disable effects (e.g., video overlay, 3D
acceleration...) or somesetting that could be making the guest to behave
weirdly.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jt4jod$e1u$11@dough.gmane.org

Carl Fink 07-05-2012 05:51 PM

Alternative(s) to VirtualBox
 
On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 01:32:07PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 04/07/12 10:29 PM, Carl Fink wrote
...
> >I tried kvm, but virt-manager reports "Unable to connect to libvirt" even
> >though libvirtd is running.
...

> Use virt-manager. It makes running VMs really easy.

As you see, I tried that. No luck.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120705175149.GA13684@panix.com">http://lists.debian.org/20120705175149.GA13684@panix.com

Gary Dale 07-05-2012 06:08 PM

Alternative(s) to VirtualBox
 
On 05/07/12 01:51 PM, Carl Fink wrote:

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 01:32:07PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:

On 04/07/12 10:29 PM, Carl Fink wrote

...

I tried kvm, but virt-manager reports "Unable to connect to libvirt" even
though libvirtd is running.

...


Use virt-manager. It makes running VMs really easy.


As you see, I tried that. No luck.

Sorry. Have you installed bridge-utils?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4FF5D807.3030909@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FF5D807.3030909@rogers.com

Chris Davies 07-05-2012 07:43 PM

Alternative(s) to VirtualBox
 
Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> wrote:
> I tried kvm, but virt-manager reports "Unable to connect to libvirt"
> even though libvirtd is running.

Add yourself to the libvirt group.

If you're making a connection from a local virt-manager to a
remote libvirtd you need to do one of three things, as by default libvirtd
allows no remote access:

- enable the "listen" option in /etc/default/libvirt-bin
- relax the permissions in the remote's file /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
- connect to the libvirtd via an ssh tunnel logged in to the remote server

In a previous job I chose to implement the third option (I'd looked
at item 1 but couldn't see how to integrate the embedded SASL based
authentication with the other authentication scheme(s) already present).


> If I start kvm from the command line I get:
> WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /home/carlf/.cache/keyring-7jbXBL/pkcs11: No such file or directory
> error: failed to get domain '/mnt/data/kvm-images/xp2'
> error: An error occurred, but the cause is unknown

How are you starting kvm, and with what options?
Chris


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 0c7hc9xa7g.ln2@news.roaima.co.uk">http://lists.debian.org/0c7hc9xa7g.ln2@news.roaima.co.uk

Carl Fink 07-06-2012 12:18 AM

Alternative(s) to VirtualBox
 
On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:31:06PM +0530, Anand Sivaram wrote:

> I once wrote an article about using KVM for kernel development. You could
> see that here.
>
> http://saurorja.org/2011/07/04/creating-a-minimal-kernel-development-setup-using-kvmqemu/
>
> I always use kvm/qemu especially with XP guest and it is working fine. But
> I am not using libvirt now, so IO is a bit slow then.

Thanks, but this is essentially the procedure I did follow and it is not
working for me.

By the way, it is not necessary to copy me on responses. I read the mailing
list and have for (argh!) two decades.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120706001843.GA19941@panix.com">http://lists.debian.org/20120706001843.GA19941@panix.com

Carl Fink 07-06-2012 12:19 AM

Alternative(s) to VirtualBox
 
On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 05:43:41PM +0000, Camale?n wrote:

> Also, check if the application you're running (Premiere Elements) does
> provide an option to disable effects (e.g., video overlay, 3D
> acceleration...) or somesetting that could be making the guest to behave
> weirdly.

I should have mentioned that I've turned off all acceleration, etc. and it
hasn't helped--it also tends to make a video editing application not that
useful!
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120706001944.GB19941@panix.com">http://lists.debian.org/20120706001944.GB19941@panix.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:47 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.