-   -   Small xorg? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/680261-small-xorg.html)

Patrick Bartek 07-05-2012 01:29 AM

Small xorg?

Any recommendations for a small, compact version of X (limited features OK) for an old Thinkpad 240X -- max RAM 192MB (design limit. *won't take more. *tried.), 500MHz P3, 800x600 screen--to install Squeeze on? *I'm running Etch and XFCE on it currently. *Want to see if I can install a supported version of Debian with a small window manager without the bloat of a full size X.
I really like this notebook for travel--what I got it for originally before netbooks existed. *Great keyboard--I do a lot of typing. *Don't want to put it in a closet to gather dust. *Waste not, want not. ;-)
Patrick

Sthu Deus 07-05-2012 03:49 AM

Small xorg?

Good time of the day, Patrick.

You worte:

> Any recommendations for a small, compact version of X (limited
> features OK) for an old Thinkpad 240X -- max RAM 192MB (design limit.
> *won't take more. *tried.), 500MHz P3, 800x600 screen--to install
> Squeeze on? *I'm running Etch and XFCE on it currently. *Want to see
> if I can install a supported version of Debian with a small window
> manager without the bloat of a full size X.
>
> I really like this notebook for travel--what I got it for originally
> before netbooks existed. *Great keyboard--I do a lot of typing.
> *Don't want to put it in a closet to gather dust. *Waste not, want
> not. ;-)

You assuredly can! - I used current Debian w/ LXDE on P-I ! w/ same RAM
size as Yours and HDD of 40 GB.

Sthu.

Javier Vasquez 07-05-2012 04:35 AM

Small xorg?

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good time of the day, Patrick.
>

> You worte:
>
>> Any recommendations for a small, compact version of X (limited
>> features OK) for an old Thinkpad 240X -- max RAM 192MB (design limit.
>> won't take more. tried.), 500MHz P3, 800x600 screen--to install
>> Squeeze on? I'm running Etch and XFCE on it currently. Want to see
>> if I can install a supported version of Debian with a small window
>> manager without the bloat of a full size X.
>>
>> I really like this notebook for travel--what I got it for originally
>> before netbooks existed. Great keyboard--I do a lot of typing.
>> Don't want to put it in a closet to gather dust. Waste not, want
>> not. ;-)
>
> You assuredly can! - I used current Debian w/ LXDE on P-I ! w/ same RAM
> size as Yours and HDD of 40 GB.
>

> Sthu.

You can go even further, with no DE (desktop environment) at all.
Just plain WM (window manager), such as fluxbox (the one I prefer),
blackbox (the one used by default on LXDE), fvwm2, etc... Some other
tiling WMs are also available such as xmonad...

--
Javier.

Istimsak 07-05-2012 05:15 AM

Small xorg?

You can use DSL(damn small linux), debian with no DEs just a simple Wm. The wms I prefer are fluxbox and openbox. If you want to use a DE, then use lxde or xfce.

Darac Marjal 07-05-2012 09:38 AM

Small xorg?

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 06:29:55PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> Any recommendations for a small, compact version of X (limited features
> OK) for an old Thinkpad 240X -- max RAM 192MB (design limit. *won't take
> more. *tried.), 500MHz P3, 800x600 screen--to install Squeeze on? *I'm
> running Etch and XFCE on it currently. *Want to see if I can install a
> supported version of Debian with a small window manager without the bloat
> of a full size X.
> I really like this notebook for travel--what I got it for originally
> before netbooks existed. *Great keyboard--I do a lot of typing. *Don't
> want to put it in a closet to gather dust. *Waste not, want not. ;-)
> Patrick

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for here. If you're strictly
asking for a low-memory version of Xorg, then I think your only option
is to recompile it. As far as I'm aware, there is only one variant of
Xorg in Debian, but if you fetch the source and play around with
compiler optimizations, removal of features (for example, you may decide
you don't need autodiscovery of devices) and perhaps even different
compilers (clang is the current hotshot), then you may find you can
reduce the memory footprint.

Next up, if you're after ANY X server (not necesarily the Xorg
implementation), then Wikipedia suggests that Xorg and XFree86 are about
your only options on Linux. You might, however, find that
not-quite-X-servers such as MicroXwin are more to your taste. MicroXWin
claims binary compatibility with XServers, so you should be able to run
your existing programs with it.

Finally, if you're happy with your X server, but are looking for a
lighter-weight window manager/destop environment... Oh, never mind, I've
just spotted you're running XFCE. That's fairly lightweight, but you may
find programs such as heliwm or swm more applicable.

Teemu Likonen 07-05-2012 10:10 AM

Small xorg?

Patrick Bartek [2012-07-04 18:29:55 -0700] wrote:

> Any recommendations for a small, compact version of X (limited features
> OK) for an old Thinkpad 240X

I have not used this myself but you could check xserver-xfbdev.

Package: xserver-xfbdev
Version: 2:1.7.7-14
xserver-xfbdev is a Linux framebuffer device tiny X server based on the
kdrive X server.

More information about X.Org can be found at: <URL:http://www.X.org>

This package is built from the X.org xserver module.

Rob Owens 07-05-2012 03:11 PM

Small xorg?

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 06:29:55PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> Any recommendations for a small, compact version of X (limited features OK) for an old Thinkpad 240X -- max RAM 192MB (design limit. *won't take more. *tried.), 500MHz P3, 800x600 screen--to install Squeeze on? *I'm running Etch and XFCE on it currently. *Want to see if I can install a supported version of Debian with a small window manager without the bloat of a full size X.

I seem to recall that, in the past at least, Damn Small Linux did not
use Xorg. A quick search tells me it might be Xvesa or Xfbdev, but
you'll need to check for yourself to be sure.

I recall trying to use Damn Small Linux to connect to a remote system
with this command:

X -query myremoteserver

It did not work, which is how I discovered that it wasn't using the X
server that I was used to on other Linux distros.

-Rob

07-05-2012 05:00 PM

Small xorg?

* From: Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com>
* Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 18:29:55 -0700 (PDT)
> ... Debian with a small window manager without the bloat of a full size X.

DirectFB should also be relevant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectFB
http://www.directfb.org/

Regards, ... Peter E.

-- 3456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Telephone 1 360 639 0202. Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ " "http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Patrick Bartek 07-06-2012 02:00 AM

Small xorg?

*On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Good time of the day, Patrick.
>>

>> You worte:
>>
>>> Any recommendations for a small, compact version of X (limited
>>> features OK) for an old Thinkpad 240X -- max RAM 192MB (design limit.
>>>* won't take more.* tried.), 500MHz P3, 800x600 screen--to install
>>> Squeeze on?* I'm running Etch and XFCE on it currently.* Want to see
>>> if I can install a supported version of Debian with a small window
>>> manager without the bloat of a full size X.
>>>
>>> I really like this notebook for travel--what I got it for originally
>>> before netbooks existed.* Great keyboard--I do a lot of typing.
>>>* Don't want to put it in a closet to gather dust.* Waste not, want
>>> not. ;-)
>>
>> You assuredly can! - I used current Debian w/ LXDE on P-I ! w/ same RAM
>> size as Yours and HDD of 40 GB.
>>

>> Sthu.
>>

>You can go even further, with no DE (desktop environment) at all.
>Just plain WM (window manager), such as fluxbox (the one I prefer),
>blackbox (the one used by default on LXDE), fvwm2, etc...* Some other
>tiling WMs are also available such as xmonad...

That was I was planning: *window manager only. *I've run some custom install tests (Base + adding one thing at a time) in VirtualBox, and found that xorg, plus all the stuff it loads, eats a lot of RAM -- about 100+ MB -- leaving only about 50MB out of 192 available for applications. *That's why I'm looking for a small X or alternatives. *Others have suggested just a framebuffer. *For what I need, that's a viable option.

I thought LXDE used OpenBox for its window manager. *Openbox is what I've been using for my tests.

Patrick Bartek 07-06-2012 02:15 AM

Small xorg?

> You can use DSL(damn small linux), debian with no DEs just a simple Wm. The wms
> I prefer are fluxbox and openbox. If you want to use a DE, then use lxde or
> xfce.

Considered both DSL and Puppy (and others) when I first got the 240X 6 or 7 years ago, but Debian better fit my criteria. *Installed Sarge on it originally, then when Etch came out did a dist-upgrade. *Etch is what's on it now, but a couple of years ago did an upgrade (not dist-upgrade) and got bits and pieces of Lenny on it. *So, Etch is corrupted. *Still works, most of the time. *(Discovered the repositories were set for "Stable" not "Etch," and Lenny was the current "Stable.") *Time for a clean install to correct the mistakes.

Patrick