Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Curt Howland

Default Sid, kernel 3.2.0.3 Removable media not working

Dear Debian User,

I updated three Sid systems this morning, two laptops and a desktop,
stupidly removing kernel 3.2.0.2 from two of them before testing all
functionality. What I'm seeing is that with kernel 3.2.0.2 removable
media like CDs, USB thumb drives, etc, mount just fine, but when
booted into 3.2.0.3 mounts stop.

The devices are recognized, "USB sdg1 vfat" etc messages are all
correct, but automount does not occur, and when I try to mount/view
the device using the xfce icon for removable media, an error pops up,
"Permissions failure".

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Curt-

Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 18:51:44 -0400, Curt Howland wrote:

> I updated three Sid systems this morning, two laptops and a desktop,
> stupidly removing kernel 3.2.0.2 from two of them before testing all
> functionality.

Unless disk space is a true concern, is usually better to keep the older
kernel at least for a while, you never know...

> What I'm seeing is that with kernel 3.2.0.2 removable media like CDs,
> USB thumb drives, etc, mount just fine, but when booted into 3.2.0.3
> mounts stop.

Removavble media is handled by the desktop environment/window manager so
what's yours and what tool are you using for taking care of this?

> The devices are recognized, "USB sdg1 vfat" etc messages are all
> correct,

You can also manually mount them, right?

> but automount does not occur, and when I try to mount/view the device
> using the xfce icon for removable media, an error pops up, "Permissions
> failure".

Mmm... maybe is that udev set the wrong permissions for these devices or
that your user is not in the right groups (run "groups" to find out).

> Is anyone else seeing this problem?

I'm using wheezy with sid's kernel (3.2.21) and have not experienced that
though I'm using GNOME3.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón