Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 AM
John Magolske

Default cannot upgrade or remove multipath-tools

In doing `aptitude ugrade`, multipath-tools is to be upgraded, but I
keep getting the following message:

% sudo aptitude install multipath-tools
[...]
Preparing to replace multipath-tools 0.4.9+git0.4dfdaf2b-4
(using .../multipath-tools_0.4.9+git0.4dfdaf2b-6_i386.deb) ...
Device does not exist.
Command failed
invoke-rc.d: initscript multipath-tools, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: trying script from the new package instead ...
Device does not exist.
Command failed
invoke-rc.d: initscript multipath-tools, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/multipath-tools_0.4.9+git0.4dfdaf2b-6_i386.deb
(--unpack):
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Starting multipath daemon: multipathd.
/var/cache/apt/archives/multipath-tools_0.4.9+git0.4dfdaf2b-6_i386.deb

Nor can I purge the package:

% aptitude purge multipath-tools
[...]
Removing multipath-tools ...
Device does not exist.
Command failed
invoke-rc.d: initscript multipath-tools, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing multipath-tools (--purge):
subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Starting multipath daemon: multipathd.
multipath-tools

Thanks for any help sorting this out,

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact

Old 07-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 23:31:40 -0700, John Magolske wrote:

> In doing `aptitude ugrade`, multipath-tools is to be upgraded, but I
> keep getting the following message:
>
> % sudo aptitude install multipath-tools [...]
> Preparing to replace multipath-tools 0.4.9+git0.4dfdaf2b-4 (using
> .../multipath-tools_0.4.9+git0.4dfdaf2b-6_i386.deb) ... Device does not
> exist.
> Command failed
> invoke-rc.d: initscript multipath-tools, action "stop" failed.

(...)

Could it be because of this?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 PM
John Magolske

* Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> [120704 10:51]:
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 23:31:40 -0700, John Magolske wrote:
> > In doing `aptitude ugrade`, multipath-tools is to be upgraded, but I
> > keep getting the following message:
> >
> > % sudo aptitude install multipath-tools [...]
> > Preparing to replace multipath-tools 0.4.9+git0.4dfdaf2b-4 (using
> > .../multipath-tools_0.4.9+git0.4dfdaf2b-6_i386.deb) ... Device does not
> > exist.
> > Command failed
> > invoke-rc.d: initscript multipath-tools, action "stop" failed.
>
> Could it be because of this?

Yes, I was looking at that last night after emailing the list:

If a user's setup is direct access to scsi device, be it either sd
naming scheme or persistent names, it appears that no entry for it
is created in /sys/block sysfs hierarchy.

In this scenario, the multipath-tools' stop target fails thusly
breaking all upgrades.

Current resolution is to run the init script to survive errors,
i.e. "!sh -e"

I tried what I think is being suggested here, changing the first
line of /etc/init.d/multipath-tools to "#!/bin/sh -e", but still get
"...package failed to install" when trying to upgrade multipath-tools,
and this when running "multipath-tools stop" manually:

# /etc/init.d/multipath-tools stop
Device does not exist.
Command failed

I did notice however this morning that `aptitude upgrade` does not try
to upgrade multipath-tools. A dist-upgrade does still want to upgrade
this package -- as did a regular upgrade as recently as yesterday. But
now for some reason I can do a regular upgrade without the complaining
brought on by multipath-tools.

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact

Old 07-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 11:22:17 -0700, John Magolske wrote:

> * Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> [120704 10:51]:

(...)

>> > Command failed
>> > invoke-rc.d: initscript multipath-tools, action "stop" failed.
>>
>> Could it be because of this?

> Yes, I was looking at that last night after emailing the list:

(...)

> I tried what I think is being suggested here, changing the first line of
> /etc/init.d/multipath-tools to "#!/bin/sh -e", but still get "...package
> failed to install" when trying to upgrade multipath-tools, and this when
> running "multipath-tools stop" manually:
>
> # /etc/init.d/multipath-tools stop
> Device does not exist.
> Command failed

After editing the boot script I guess the service should be restarted
again to reflect the changes so that when it's stopped it does not fail.

> I did notice however this morning that `aptitude upgrade` does not try
> to upgrade multipath-tools. A dist-upgrade does still want to upgrade
> this package -- as did a regular upgrade as recently as yesterday. But
> now for some reason I can do a regular upgrade without the complaining
> brought on by multipath-tools.

You can try "dist-upgrading" again once you have edited the init script
and daemon has been restarted. Or you can also take a more practical
approach and manually download the updated deb package (0.4.9
+git0.4dfdaf2b-6) and copy/paste the init script or look for the
differences :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-06-2012, 10:18 AM
John Magolske

* Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> [120705 00:15]:
> You can try "dist-upgrading" again once you have edited the init script
> and daemon has been restarted. Or you can also take a more practical
> approach and manually download the updated deb package (0.4.9
> +git0.4dfdaf2b-6) and copy/paste the init script or look for the
> differences :-)

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, here's what solved the problem:

% cp /var/cache/apt/archives/multipath-tools_0.4.9+git0.4dfdaf2b-6_i386.deb /tmp
% cd /tmp
% aunpack multipath-tools_0.4.9+git0.4dfdaf2b-6_i386.deb
# mv /etc/init.d/multipath-tools /etc/init.d/multipath-tools-1
# cd /tmp/multipath-tools_0.4.9+git0.4dfdaf2b-6_i386
# cp etc/init.d/multipath-tools /etc/init.d/multipath-tools
# /etc/init.d/multipath-tools restart
# rm /etc/init.d/multipath-tools-1

After restarting the multipath-tools daemon, I was able to upgrade the
multipath-tools package successfully.

Thanks again!

John

--