-   -   aptitude update question (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/679947-aptitude-update-question.html)

Jude DaShiell 07-04-2012 04:47 AM

aptitude update question

One thing I read as the end result of some update operations is a certain
number of new. I take it to mean new packages if I'm correct. What I'd
like to know is if any utility exists that can tell me the names of the
new packages. If I can get that much information, I can probably use
apt-cache to read the package descriptions for the new packages.

Microsoft: It never looses its suction.

Jude
<jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>

Darac Marjal 07-04-2012 10:12 AM

aptitude update question

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 12:47:33AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> One thing I read as the end result of some update operations is a certain
> number of new. I take it to mean new packages if I'm correct. What I'd
> like to know is if any utility exists that can tell me the names of the
> new packages. If I can get that much information, I can probably use
> apt-cache to read the package descriptions for the new packages.

One way to find this out is to start aptitude in it's Curses-UI mode
(just run aptitude with no arguments). You will be shown a window with
two panes, top and bottom. In the top pane, the bar-cursor is in a tree
structure. The first branch of that tree probably reads "New Packages
(nnn)". Press return and the tree will expand that branch to show some
categories (admin, database, devel etc). Move down onto one of these and
press return again; you'll get a list of components (main, contrib,
non-free, etc). Open one of these and you'll see the list of packages in
that component for that category. Repeat as desired.

Alternatively, simply enter "aptitude search '?new'" at a prompt. :)

Jude DaShiell 07-04-2012 10:30 AM

aptitude update question

Thanks much, I'll probably use the command line approach.

Windows Pants: made entirely of patches on patches each with a picture of
a Microsoft Vacuum Cleaner; a computer mouse, or a dollar sign.

Jude <jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>

Jude DaShiell 07-04-2012 10:32 AM

aptitude update question

Just thought of something, would: "aptitude search '?new' '?uninstalled'"
show the new packages that aren't yet on the system? On Wed, 4 Jul 2012,

Darac Marjal 07-04-2012 12:04 PM

aptitude update question

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 06:32:39AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Just thought of something, would: "aptitude search '?new' '?uninstalled'"
> show the new packages that aren't yet on the system?

I think that, if you've installed a package, it's no longer counted as
new. Additionally, you can configure aptitude with regards to what it
considers new (i.e. new packages since the last download or new packages
since forever?).

Sadly, "?uninstalled" isn't a proper search term. See
http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/projects/aptitude/doc/en/ch02s03s05.html
for the gory details, but for uninstalled you probably need
"!?installed".