Old 07-04-2012, 03:10 AM
T o n g

Default minimal HTTP server recommends

Hi,

Just noticed that the thttpd package that I'm using has been removed from
Debian repo early this year.

It suits my personal web server well, because "It has an executable
memory size of about 50 kB. . . it is uniquely suited to service high
volume requests for static data" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thttpd)

Now that it's gone, please recommend another minimal HTTP server with
similar goal as above.

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 07-04-2012, 05:10 AM
Stan Hoeppner

On 7/3/2012 10:10 PM, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just noticed that the thttpd package that I'm using has been removed from
> Debian repo early this year.
>
> It suits my personal web server well, because "It has an executable
> memory size of about 50 kB. . . it is uniquely suited to service high
> volume requests for static data" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thttpd)
>
> Now that it's gone, please recommend another minimal HTTP server with
> similar goal as above.

Hi Tong,

Lighttpd was designed from the ground up for such static file serving.
As the name implies it is a lightweight httpd server. Today Lighty also
supports CGI and has many other advanced features that the original
release did not, but it hasn't sacrificed speed, nor become bloated.

I just checked one of my systems and top reports the running code size
of Lighttpd 1.4.28-2+squeeze1 is 164KB. Not quite as small as what you
claim for thttpd, but the code size of an httpd process is but a tiny
fraction of process' memory footprint. In my case RES is currently 2112KB.

--
Stan

Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 03:10:32 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> Just noticed that the thttpd package that I'm using has been removed
> from Debian repo early this year.

Mmm, it was removed because of:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/t/thttpd/news/20120101T154305Z.html

------------------- Reason -------------------
RoQA; orphaned, RC-buggy, dead upstream, plenty of alternatives exist

Seems reasonable.

> It suits my personal web server well, because "It has an executable
> memory size of about 50 kB. . . it is uniquely suited to service high
> volume requests for static data" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thttpd)
>
> Now that it's gone, please recommend another minimal HTTP server with
> similar goal as above.

There's a nice comparison table here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_lightweight_web_servers

Can't comment on these lightweight solutions, I use Apache2 for no
specific reason other than "it just works and fits my needs".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-05-2012, 03:59 AM
T o n g

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 00:10:29 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Lighttpd was designed from the ground up for such static file serving...

Thank you Stan for sharing your first hand experience.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Nuno Magalhăes

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:10 AM, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> please recommend another minimal HTTP server

nginx, preferably compiled from source

HTH;
Nuno

--
"On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog."

Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Adrian Fita

On 04/07/12 06:10, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just noticed that the thttpd package that I'm using has been removed from
> Debian repo early this year.
>
> It suits my personal web server well, because "It has an executable
> memory size of about 50 kB. . . it is uniquely suited to service high
> volume requests for static data" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thttpd)
>
> Now that it's gone, please recommend another minimal HTTP server with
> similar goal as above.
>
> Thanks

Try boa. I used it on a 486 laptop to handle static content and it was
pretty snappy.

--
Adrian Fita

Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Roberto Scattini

Just noticed that the thttpd package that I'm using has been removed from

Debian repo early this year.

It suits my personal web server well, because "It has an executable

memory size of about 50 kB. . . it is uniquely suited to service high

volume requests for static data" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thttpd)
maybe mongoose?
http://code.google.com/p/mongoose/

really simple, it can run CGI also*