Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Paul Zimmerman

Default Very slow network with certain APs -- ipv6 problem?

Since the "official" switch to IPv6 I've been having serious problems with certain wireless APs. Some are unchanged, but others are very, very sloooow for no detectable reason. Yet, the same APs are just as easily accessible as always with a Windows machine. Could there be a problem caused by not updating for the change to IPv6? Something that Windows would detect and adjust for automatically? Is there some simple way to make my Linux system use IPv4 again with only those certain APs?

Old 07-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 16:10:46 -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:

> Since the "official" switch to IPv6 I've been having serious problems
> with certain wireless APs. Some are unchanged, but others are very, very
> sloooow for no detectable reason. Yet, the same APs are just as easily
> accessible as always with a Windows machine. Could there be a problem
> caused by not updating for the change to IPv6?

You mean you're still using ipv4 with no ipv6 support from the OS at all?

> Something that Windows would detect and adjust for automatically? Is
> there some simple way to make my Linux system use IPv4 again with only
> those certain APs?

To discard a problem coming from the ipv6 stack, you can try to disable/
enable it system wide and check if the issue with the AP is still present
or not.

Some tips to turn it off:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIPv6#How_to_turn_off_IPv6

Anyway, my wild guess is that the problem with the AP can be because of
the driver or another environmental or configuration factors. What's your
wifi adapter and what driver are you using? When you say is "slow" what
are the exact symtoms you experience (e.g., random reconnects, download/
upload speed is not as expected, lazy AP -it takes so long to get
associated with your computer-...)?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Paul Zimmerman

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> You mean you're still using ipv4 with no ipv6 support from the OS at all?

I am using an up-to-date install of Squeeze. There were several network

related updates when IPv6 was supposed to be activated. So I presume

this was an activation for Debian. Since then, certain wireless APs have
not worked properly. It claims to connect and get an IP address, but there
is almost no actual traffic. It can take 5 or 10 minutes to get a simple page
with mostly text and very few graphics. Yet, these same IPs are as fast as

ever when you connect with a Windows machine. Which leads me to suspect
that Windows automatically detects what the AP is using and adjusts, while
Linux does not.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:09:25 -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You mean you're still using ipv4 with no ipv6 support from the OS at
>> all?
>
> I am using an up-to-date install of Squeeze. There were several network
>
> related updates when IPv6 was supposed to be activated. So I presume
>
> this was an activation for Debian.

The default Debian installation should enable ipv6 but if you manually
turned it off and did an upgrade instead a clean install, this setting
could have been honored so better check if ipv6 is on or off.

> Since then, certain wireless APs have not worked properly.

"Certain"? You mean that for some worked and others not? It can be then a
corner issue with those specific access points :-?

> It claims to connect and get an IP address, but there is almost no
> actual traffic. It can take 5 or 10 minutes to get a simple page with
> mostly text and very few graphics.

You can turn off ipv6 from the browser (eg.g, Icewasel/Firefox) and then
retry to see if you get any difference.

> Yet, these same IPs are as fast as ever when you connect with a Windows
> machine. Which leads me to suspect that Windows automatically detects
> what the AP is using and adjusts, while Linux does not.

I don't have enough information to reach such a conclusion, but this can
be easily tested by disabling ipv6 completely from your linux box and
check for the results.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Rick Thomas

[...]

There is a problem that sometimes occurs:

If the AP does not properly route IPv6 traffic, but does mistakenly
advertise an IPv6 prefix, and some website has AAAA records (IPv6
addresses) in DNS, your browser may try to connect to the IPv6
address, causing a long time-out. Usually, it will give up and re-try
the connection with IPv4, causing bursty behavior with successful IPv4
traffic interspersed with long timeouts trying IPv6.

You can test for that by temporarily disabling IPv6 entirely on your
client machine as described in the website Camaleón pointed to.

Rick