Old 07-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Dirk Schmidt

Default Wheezy - XEN pcipassthrough modul problem

Hi Folks,

i will use a PCI device in domU. Xen and Kernel are the latest ones from
Wheezy.

Reading many webpages about Xen and PCI I tried the following configuration.

module /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64 ... pci=resource_alignment=04:06.0
xen-pciback.hide=(04:06.0)

Before starting the domU I need to load the xen-pciback module.
modprobe xen-pciback gives me a symbol error
modprobe xen-pciback hide=(04:06.0) claims about illegal "(" and so on.
But:
insmod xen-pciback.ko hide=(04:06.0) works for me.

First Question: What is the difference. I also tried to add the hide
option in /etc/modprobe.d/pciback.conf

# Hide AVM
options xen-pciback hide=(0000:04:06.0)

and run depmod -a and modprobe also gives me the error above.

Second Question:
I think I have read, the pci boot parameters are not necessary using
xen-pciback as modul like the debian kernel provides it, but found no
clear answer. Could I remove the boot parameter?

Third and last Question (for the moment):
Is it early enough to run the driver unassigning and assigning to
pciback in /etc/rc.local to be able autostart the domU

Thanks for your help

Dirk

Archive: 4FF37E36.3020102@gmx.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FF37E36.3020102@gmx.net

Old 07-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Richie

I ran into this same issue. Generally the module would load right up
with modprobe. You don't use the kernel specific parameters when
support is not built into the kernel so that can removed.

There's an informative blog here @
http://nixnote.blogspot.com/2012/03/xen-part-9-pci-passthrough.html
where a guy documented doing this on wheezy and with an earlier kernel.

I'm interested if a bug has been filed on this yet. I can say that pci
passthrough does work with the current wheezy kernel aside from this quirk.

Archive: 50107F89.5070200@triad.rr.com">http://lists.debian.org/50107F89.5070200@triad.rr.com

Old 07-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Richie

You may have already discovered this. I had pulled down my grub2
40_custom from another install which had the kernel parameters in place
for when xen-pciback support is compiled into the kernel. I had assumed
it wouldn't be issue, but they were actually the problem. After
removing them and updating grub the module loads fine.