Old 07-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Frank McCormick

Default Random lockups

My desktop running Debian Sid just locked up for the 4th or 5th time
recently.

There is nothing is the syslog...nothing in the xorg log. The system
just locks changing what's on the screen to yellow tinged text.
It locks so tight that only a hard reset gets it back. Alt-SysReq does
nothing.

It will lockup at different places...reading mail, browsing the web,
reading a manual etc etc

I am running an Intel D865GBF board, and Intel on-board video.

uname -a

Linux sid.dummy.org 3.2.0-2-686-pae #1 SMP Mon Jun 11 18:27:04 UTC 2012
i686 GNU/Linux

I have to use "processor.nocst=1" to allow this kernel to boot.

I don't think it's kernel related as I have been running this kernel for
a few months and the problem only started recently.

I ran memtest86 for a couple of hours and it didn't show anything.

Gkrellm was showing "normal temps" so neither the CPU nor the
motherboard was overheated...voltages from what I remember were normal.

I am stumped. Suggestions ??

--
Cheers
Frank