-   -   GPG - secret key not available? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/679712-gpg-secret-key-not-available.html)

Csanyi Pal 07-03-2012 02:51 PM

GPG - secret key not available?

Hi,

I did run the
gpg --gen-key

command and I have the secret key:

gpg -K
/home/csanyipal/.gnupg/secring.gpg
----------------------------------
sec 2048D/CD3E2F9A 2012-07-01
[snip]

I exported this key in both
~/.bashrc
and
~/.xinitrc

files.

When I'm trying to build the Piklab debian package, I have success in
this but failed to sign .dsc and .changes files.

The output of dpkg-buildpackage at the and of the process is:

gpg: skipped "Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com>": secret key not available
gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key not available

dpkg-genchanges >../piklab_0.16.0-1_amd64.changes
dpkg-genchanges: including full source code in upload
dpkg-source --after-build piklab-0.16.0
dpkg-buildpackage: full upload (original source is included)
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: Failed to sign .dsc and .changes file

What am I missing here?

--
Regards from Pal

Jon Dowland 07-03-2012 03:05 PM

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 04:51:09PM +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did run the
> gpg --gen-key
>
> command and I have the secret key:
>
> gpg -K
> /home/csanyipal/.gnupg/secring.gpg
> ----------------------------------
> sec 2048D/CD3E2F9A 2012-07-01
> [snip]
>
> I exported this key in both
> ~/.bashrc
> and
> ~/.xinitrc
>
> files.

I suspect that's what you are doing wrong; you should export the public half
rather than the secret. It's the public half which is used by others to verify
your sigs.

(note also that if you are just starting to play around, it would be worth
generating a much stronger key. Read http://keyring.debian.org/creating-key.html
to find out how)

Csanyi Pal 07-04-2012 04:52 PM

Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 04:51:09PM +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:

[snip]

> I suspect that's what you are doing wrong; you should export the
> public half rather than the secret. It's the public half which is used
> by others to verify your sigs.

gpg: skipped "Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com>": secret key not available
gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key not available

> (note also that if you are just starting to play around, it would be
> worth generating a much stronger key. Read
> http://keyring.debian.org/creating-key.html to find out how)

I generated such a strong key.

Still I get the message as abowe:
secret key not available

So what can I do to get signed .dsc and .changes file when run
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot ??

--
Regards from Pal

Jon Dowland 07-05-2012 12:43 PM

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 06:52:30PM +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> gpg: skipped "Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com>": secret key not available
> gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key not available

Please include the command you actually typed.

> > (note also that if you are just starting to play around, it would be
> > worth generating a much stronger key. Read
> > http://keyring.debian.org/creating-key.html to find out how)
>
> I generated such a strong key.

What is the key-id?

Csanyi Pal 07-05-2012 02:02 PM

GPG - secret key not available?

Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 06:52:30PM +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>> gpg: skipped "Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com>": secret key not
>> available
>> gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key not available
>
> Please include the command you actually typed.

You probably mean here what command I used to build the package:

tar -xvf piklab-0.16.0.tar.bz2
cd piklab-0.16.0/
dh_make -e csanyipal@gmail.com -c gpl2 --createorig

Type of package: single binary, indep binary, multiple binary,
library, kernel module, kernel patch?
[s/i/m/l/k/n] s

Done. Please edit the files in the debian/ subdirectory now. piklab
uses a configure script, so you probably don't have to edit the
Makefiles.

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

>> > (note also that if you are just starting to play around, it would
>> > be worth generating a much stronger key. Read
>> > http://keyring.debian.org/creating-key.html to find out how)
>>
>> I generated such a strong key.
>
> What is the key-id?

0x1A772747

>> Still I get the message as abowe:
>> secret key not available
>
> Please include the command you actually typed.

You probably mean here what command I used to get my GPG key:

I updated ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf with lines at the end:
personal-digest-preferences SHA256
cert-digest-algo SHA256
default-preference-list SHA512 SHA384 SHA256 SHA224 AES256
AES192 AES CAST5 ZLIB BZIP2 ZIP Uncompressed

Then I did run the command:
gpg --gen-key

and created gpg key with keysize of 4096 bits.

After that I added subkey for encryption:
gpg --edit-key 0x1A772747

After that I send the new key to key server:
gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --send-key 1A772747

However, I have two keys, so maybe I should set up the primary key?

--
Regards from Pal

Csanyi Pal 07-05-2012 02:53 PM

Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

> However, I have two keys, so maybe I should set up the primary key?

It doesn't matter, still get the messages:

signfile piklab_0.16.0-1.dsc
gpg: skipped "Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com>": secret key is not
available
gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key is not available