FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Andrew Wood
 
Default Gnome 3 fallback not working with Silicon Motion GPU

Im trying to get Wheezy with Gnome 3 in fallback mode to work on an old
machine which has a Silicon Motion SM712 LynxEM+ GPU.


It starts up in fallback mode OK but the display isnt right. The theme
for buttons & scrollbars is just the generic GTK look i.e no theme at
all, (but the window border & close/max/minimise controls have the
correct Gnome 3 look), certain widgets on the desktop like the clock &
sound icon display as white rectangles and the terminal window, instead
of being a white background with black text displays as all black.


The xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion package is installed but I dont
know if its actually using it. How can I check?


Thanks
Andrew


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4FF2FBD6.1010309@perpetualmotion.co.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4FF2FBD6.1010309@perpetualmotion.co.uk
 
Old 07-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Gnome 3 fallback not working with Silicon Motion GPU

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 15:04:06 +0100, Andrew Wood wrote:

> Im trying to get Wheezy with Gnome 3 in fallback mode to work on an old
> machine which has a Silicon Motion SM712 LynxEM+ GPU.
>
> It starts up in fallback mode OK but the display isnt right. The theme
> for buttons & scrollbars is just the generic GTK look i.e no theme at
> all, (but the window border & close/max/minimise controls have the
> correct Gnome 3 look), certain widgets on the desktop like the clock &
> sound icon display as white rectangles and the terminal window, instead
> of being a white background with black text displays as all black.

Is the same when you login with a fresh-new created user?

> The xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion package is installed but I dont
> know if its actually using it. How can I check?

In principle I don't see it as a VGA driver problem :-?

Anyway, you can check the driver in use from your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
also when running "lspci -vv" (scroll down for the VGA card and look for
the "kernel driver in use" line).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jsv8ji$q1u$21@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Andrew Wood
 
Default Gnome 3 fallback not working with Silicon Motion GPU

On 03/07/12 18:02, Camaleón wrote:


Is the same when you login with a fresh-new created user?

In principle I don't see it as a VGA driver problem :-?


Anyway, you can check the driver in use from your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
also when running "lspci -vv" (scroll down for the VGA card and look for
the "kernel driver in use" line).

Greetings,

I'll have a go and report back - the machine is at a museum where I
volunteer so I only go at weekends.


If its not a driver problem how come now I've brought the hard disk home
and put it in a machine here with a PCI Matrox card from 1996 Gnome
fallback mode displays perfectly?



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4FF44B3F.8020707@perpetualmotion.co.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4FF44B3F.8020707@perpetualmotion.co.uk
 
Old 07-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Gnome 3 fallback not working with Silicon Motion GPU

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 14:55:11 +0100, Andrew Wood wrote:

> On 03/07/12 18:02, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> Is the same when you login with a fresh-new created user?
>>
>> In principle I don't see it as a VGA driver problem :-?
>>
>> Anyway, you can check the driver in use from your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> and also when running "lspci -vv" (scroll down for the VGA card and
>> look for the "kernel driver in use" line).
>>
>>
> I'll have a go and report back - the machine is at a museum where I
> volunteer so I only go at weekends.

Thats what's "ssh -X" is for, but wait... in a museum? Is the computer
that old?

> If its not a driver problem how come now I've brought the hard disk home
> and put it in a machine here with a PCI Matrox card from 1996 Gnome
> fallback mode displays perfectly?

Well, given the nature of the problem you first reported (GNOME look
showing like an old or uncomplete GTK+ style) with no additional
information it did not look like a driver problem but another thing, I
mean, for a driver problem I would expected something like your display
showing small dots (noise) or lines in the screen, flickering, windows
wrongly positioned or something like that.

By running the tests I mentioned (you can login with a new user, read
from the X logs and also the "~/.xsession-errors" file...) you could have
a better understanding on what can be happening with the museum's
computer.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jt1n4s$3jh$10@dough.gmane.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:51 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org