Old 07-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Ivan Shmakov

Default radeon+ opencl+ non-free-: HOWTO?

Somehow, I've got the impression that OpenCL is supported by
some free development tools (Clang?) Now, I wonder, if I'm
right on that, is there some kind of HOWTO on how to utilize
OpenCL via the free AMD Radeon driver included in Debian? (I
hope it is possible, isn't it?)

TIA.

--
FSF associate member #7257

Old 07-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 20:08:57 +0700, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

> Somehow, I've got the impression that OpenCL is supported by
> some free development tools (Clang?) Now, I wonder, if I'm right
> on that, is there some kind of HOWTO on how to utilize OpenCL via
> the free AMD Radeon driver included in Debian? (I hope it is possible,
> isn't it?)

There's a Debian wiki page altough I'm not sure if this will help to
solve your questions :-)

http://wiki.debian.org/ATIStream

And also, an article in Phoronix about this:

How To Begin Using OpenCL With Radeon Gallium3D
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA3MjY

Can't tell about the current development status.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Ivan Shmakov

>> Somehow, I've got the impression that OpenCL is supported by some
>> free development tools (Clang?) Now, I wonder, if I'm right on
>> that, is there some kind of HOWTO on how to utilize OpenCL via the
>> free AMD Radeon driver included in Debian? (I hope it is possible,
>> isn't it?)

> There's a Debian wiki page altough I'm not sure if this will help to
> solve your questions :-)

> http://wiki.debian.org/ATIStream

Neither am I.

--cut: http://wiki.debian.org/ATIStream --
The AMD SDK is non-free. […]
--cut: http://wiki.debian.org/ATIStream --

The page also mentions the opencl-headers package, which is
apparently relevant, though.

> And also, an article in Phoronix about this:

> How To Begin Using OpenCL With Radeon Gallium3D

> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA3MjY

There also seems to be some information relevant to my task
(such as, e. g., notes on supported hardware.)

> Can't tell about the current development status.

ACK, thanks.

--
FSF associate member #7257

Old 07-04-2012, 03:09 AM
Mike Viau

> >> Somehow, I've got the impression that OpenCL is supported by some
> >> free development tools (Clang?) Now, I wonder, if I'm right on
> >> that, is there some kind of HOWTO on how to utilize OpenCL via the
> >> free AMD Radeon driver included in Debian? (I hope it is possible,
> >> isn't it?)
>
> > There's a Debian wiki page altough I'm not sure if this will help to
> > solve your questions :-)
>
> > http://wiki.debian.org/ATIStream
>
> Neither am I.

There is nothing really in the wiki about OpenCL (considering the initial standard was dated back on 18 November 2008).

I looked through the NVIDIA pages as well on the Debian Wiki.

Perhaps you got your notions about using OpenCL API with opensource development tools because of articles like these?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA1Mzk

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA3MjY

-M