-   -   installation with UEFI (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/679652-installation-uefi.html)

Andreas Weber 07-03-2012 11:26 AM

installation with UEFI

Hi

Does any of you have some knowledge on how to install Debian testing
with UEFI?

I looked via search function of the web sites in

- debian.org
- wiki.debian.org

with 0 hits. I found some links that described the howto, but they seem
outdated:

- install via MBR and grub-pc (works)
- install grub-efi-amd64 (works)
- install grub on /dev/sda (works with efivars errors as expected)

The thing that didn't work out for me was the final copying of the
created .efi file to /boot/efi/efi/bootx64.efi. My UEFI mobo doesn't
find the entry and I end up with a non-booting installation.

Well knowing that this could start a flame which I don't intend to do:
Any *buntu installer of 12.04 comes with full UEFI support and works
like a charm. But I want Debian. And yes, doing it the MBR way would be
a possible fallback, but it's about going for the future. ;-)

Thanks for any insights on this.

ändu

Camaleón 07-03-2012 05:23 PM

installation with UEFI

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 13:26:37 +0200, Andreas Weber wrote:

> Does any of you have some knowledge on how to install Debian testing
> with UEFI?
>
> I looked via search function of the web sites in
>
> - debian.org
> - wiki.debian.org
>
> with 0 hits.

There was a discussion at the devel mailing list:

And also an article from the same person who started the above thread:

http://tanguy.ortolo.eu/blog/article51/

(both seem to be quite recent)

> I found some links that described the howto, but they seem
> outdated:
>
> - install via MBR and grub-pc (works)
> - install grub-efi-amd64 (works)
> - install grub on /dev/sda (works with efivars errors as expected)
>
> The thing that didn't work out for me was the final copying of the
> created .efi file to /boot/efi/efi/bootx64.efi. My UEFI mobo doesn't
> find the entry and I end up with a non-booting installation.
>
> Well knowing that this could start a flame which I don't intend to do:
> Any *buntu installer of 12.04 comes with full UEFI support and works
> like a charm. But I want Debian. And yes, doing it the MBR way would be
> a possible fallback, but it's about going for the future. ;-)
>
> Thanks for any insights on this.

Can't comment on the methods, sorry, I'm afraid I'm still stuck with the
old BIOS in all of my systems and haven't had the chance to test the new
implementation ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Ralf Mardorf 07-03-2012 05:34 PM

installation with UEFI

On Tue, 2012-07-03 at 17:23 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 13:26:37 +0200, Andreas Weber wrote:
> > Well knowing that this could start a flame which I don't intend to
> do

Pff, a flame war about what ;)?

> I'm afraid I'm still stuck with the old BIOS in all of my systems and
> haven't had the chance to test the new implementation ;-(

Bad luck, I fortunately share your "bad luck" and I'm happy with it.

I've got some Win-Friends, I guess next X-Mas they'll give me their PCs,
so I'm able to improve my Linuxes and they can run their Windows 8.

GeraldC 07-03-2012 09:07 PM

installation with UEFI

On Tuesday, July 03, 2012 09:26:37 PM Andreas Weber wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does any of you have some knowledge on how to install Debian testing
> with UEFI?
>
> I looked via search function of the web sites in
>
> - debian.org
> - wiki.debian.org
>
> with 0 hits. I found some links that described the howto, but they seem
> outdated:
>
> - install via MBR and grub-pc (works)
> - install grub-efi-amd64 (works)
> - install grub on /dev/sda (works with efivars errors as expected)
>
> The thing that didn't work out for me was the final copying of the
> created .efi file to /boot/efi/efi/bootx64.efi. My UEFI mobo doesn't
> find the entry and I end up with a non-booting installation.
>
> Well knowing that this could start a flame which I don't intend to do:
> Any *buntu installer of 12.04 comes with full UEFI support and works
> like a charm. But I want Debian. And yes, doing it the MBR way would be
> a possible fallback, but it's about going for the future. ;-)
>
> Thanks for any insights on this.
>
> ändu
Hi,
I have the ASUS M5A97 which has the UEFI system.
PClinuxos,Fedora17 both run. The bios is a Linux system, it seems to recognise
the installation system because Linux has no problems and Windows 7+ instals
with the UEFI extension.
32 bit pclos will not install if win7-64 is installed., 64 bit has no
problems..
USB 3,sata 3 very good.
Gerald

Chris Bannister 07-03-2012 10:14 PM

installation with UEFI

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 01:26:37PM +0200, Andreas Weber wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does any of you have some knowledge on how to install Debian testing
> with UEFI?
>
> I looked via search function of the web sites in
>
> - debian.org
> - wiki.debian.org

Mmmm, "uefi site:lists.debian.org" brings up some hits, but see these:

still in progress ...

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Andreas Weber 07-04-2012 07:18 PM

installation with UEFI

On 2012-07-03 19:23, Camaleón wrote:
> There was a discussion at the devel mailing list:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/01/msg00168.html

Thanks for this, hadn't seen it yet.

> And also an article from the same person who started the above thread:
>
> http://tanguy.ortolo.eu/blog/article51/

I tried this one out before I posted. It doesn't work for my setup.

> Can't comment on the methods, sorry, I'm afraid I'm still stuck with the
> old BIOS in all of my systems and haven't had the chance to test the new
> implementation ;-(

I will stick to "old style", too, for the time being. This whole UEFI
thing hasn't landed in Debian land yet AFAICS.

Besides the "all new and shiny" thing about UEFI, booting with grub-pc
works pretty ok for me at the moment.

Thanks to all who replied.

ändu