-   -   NFS mount points on Squeeze (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/679516-nfs-mount-points-squeeze.html)

Mark Panen 07-03-2012 12:56 AM

NFS mount points on Squeeze

Hi,

I do not always have all my machines powered on and when i power up my
main Squeeze machine, the boot sequence waits forever to mount the NFS
mount points because machine 2 is powered down for example.

I put "defaults" in my /etc/fstab in the NFS line.

Is there a better entry to use?

--
Cheers
Mark

Archive: 4FF2433C.5030001@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FF2433C.5030001@gmail.com

Kushal Kumaran 07-04-2012 01:45 AM

NFS mount points on Squeeze

Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I do not always have all my machines powered on and when i power up my
>main Squeeze machine, the boot sequence waits forever to mount the NFS
>mount points because machine 2 is powered down for example.
>
>I put "defaults" in my /etc/fstab in the NFS line.
>
>Is there a better entry to use?

Well, I don't have a solution to your problem, but have you considered autofs? That will defer the mount attempt to the point when an attempt is made to actually access the directory.

Tom H 07-04-2012 04:47 AM

NFS mount points on Squeeze

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not always have all my machines powered on and when i power up my main
> Squeeze machine, the boot sequence waits forever to mount the NFS mount
> points because machine 2 is powered down for example.
>
> I put "defaults" in my /etc/fstab in the NFS line.
>
> Is there a better entry to use?

Add "_netdev".

Bob Proulx 07-04-2012 06:47 AM

NFS mount points on Squeeze

Mark Panen wrote:
> I do not always have all my machines powered on and when i power up
> my main Squeeze machine, the boot sequence waits forever to mount
> the NFS mount points because machine 2 is powered down for example.

Does the client machine *need* the server in order to operate? If so
then it *must* wait for the server to be up. Otherwise the client
won't be able to operate properly.

If you don't want the client to wait for the server then you can use
the "bg" background option. With that option the client will attempt
to mount the server and if the server isn't available it will retry
the mount in the background.

> I put "defaults" in my /etc/fstab in the NFS line.
> Is there a better entry to use?

Better is in the eye of the beholder.

If you want you can use the "bg" option. See 'man nfs' for details.

man nfs

Bob

Paul E Condon 07-04-2012 06:57 AM

NFS mount points on Squeeze

On 20120703_025628, Mark Panen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not always have all my machines powered on and when i power up
> my main Squeeze machine, the boot sequence waits forever to mount the
> NFS mount points because machine 2 is powered down for example.
>
> I put "defaults" in my /etc/fstab in the NFS line.
>
> Is there a better entry to use?

Try adding ,nofail after defaults. I works for me on some plugable
usb drive. It probably will work for NFS. There is some place where
you can tweek the timeout value but the default worked for me.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net