Old 07-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Camaleón

Default getting gnome 3

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 15:03:19 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You'll be forced to upgrade to GNOME3.
>
> Yes, and and that forced upgrade comes from more than just Debian.

Exactly. That's an upstream decision (while GNOME 2 is still supported no
more enhancements are planned) and keeping GNOME 2 in paralel would have
caused many headaches, bor both developers and users.

Anyway, what finally matters (at least IMO) is if the transition from
GNOME 2 to GNOME 3 was smoothly done or not. I can say that yes, it was
done quite satisfactorily. I know there are still some things that are
not working as they should but the overall gnome-shell environment does a
good job.

>> I see no gnome2/gnome3 packaging differentiation as it happened with
>> kde3/ kde4 in its early stage, most sure because gnome3 is now stable
>> enough to be safely included by default.
>
> It's because the GNOME team deliberately broke the ability to keep both
> GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 at the same time. While effort could be expended to
> allow them to live side by side, the API uses the same names for
> functions and yet are incompatible with each other. GNOME upstream
> decided that they didn't want people able to have both. Since GNOME has
> moved forward with version 3, they reason, everyone else must be forced
> to move forward, as well.

Kudos to Debian GNOME team then :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Robert Holtzm

On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 03:03:19PM -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You'll be forced to upgrade to GNOME3.
>
> Yes, and and that forced upgrade comes from more than just Debian.
>
> > I see no gnome2/gnome3 packaging differentiation as it happened with kde3/
> > kde4 in its early stage, most sure because gnome3 is now stable enough to
> > be safely included by default.
>
> It's because the GNOME team deliberately broke the ability to keep
> both GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 at the same time. While effort could be
> expended to allow them to live side by side, the API uses the same
> names for functions and yet are incompatible with each other. GNOME
> upstream decided that they didn't want people able to have both.
> Since GNOME has moved forward with version 3, they reason, everyone
> else must be forced to move forward, as well.
>
> While I use GNOME Shell on my desktop and don't mind it so much (I
> don't care about its features, I just use it as a window manager), I
> think this attitude on the part of the GNOME developers is
> inexcusable.

Not so inexcusable. If they kept both, they would be saddled with the
task of maintaining both. As far as I'm aware, these people are
volunteers. If so, that's quite a load to ask them to carry.

> --
> Chris

Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,
check the price of the beer.
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 07-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Stephen Allen

On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 07:39:37PM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

> I know I go against most people when I say that now I've gotten used
> to Gnome3 I really like it and would not want to go back. It may be
> that I run a two screen set-up, but for me the really nice features
> are

+100 Like you I disliked it at 1st but after a month I realized it's
faster than Gnome2 and less buggy. The extensions allow one to get most
of the so called lost functionality back.

No way I'd want to go back to Gnome2.