Old 07-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Stephen Allen

Default Blog Post re libav vs ffmpeg

Hi folks:

Interesting blog-post here (1) on the controversy. Any particular reason why
Debian decided to go the libav route and what about the quote in the
article where it mentions that the Debian Packager is spreading
misinformation?

As a Debian user for some time I'm astonished that Debian decided to go
the libav route if this blog post is accurate;
http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html

The author seems quite level headed about his reasoning which do make
quite a bit of sense to this reader.

Regards,
Stephen Allen

(1) http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html

Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 10:31:31 -0400, Stephen Allen wrote:

> Interesting blog-post here (1) on the controversy. Any particular reason
> why Debian decided to go the libav route

My wild guess is that because it will be easier to maintain and debug.

But there was a response here coming from one of the libav Debian package
maintainers:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2011-December/023070.html

> and what about the quote in the article where it mentions that the
> Debian Packager is spreading misinformation?

(...)

The warning seems fine to me. What is what you don't like from here? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón