Old 07-01-2012, 11:51 PM
ss11223

Default No Sound Card found on Testing Install

I installed testing on an older machine with an Intel ICH9 controller on the
mother board. Alsa reports that there is no audio card found. (This used to work
under windows until I defenestrated the machine:-)

I got the impression that there are options to put into /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf that might fix this, but I haven't found any options that worked.

Anyone out there know the solution?

Stuart

Old 07-02-2012, 03:42 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Du, 01 iul 12, 16:51:28, ss11223 wrote:
> I installed testing on an older machine with an Intel ICH9 controller on the
> mother board. Alsa reports that there is no audio card found.

Show us
Please also include outputs of the following commands:

aplay -l
aplay -L
cat /proc/asound/cards
lsmod | grep snd
lspci -nn | grep -i audio

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 PM
ss11223

On Sunday, July 1, 2012 11:50:01 PM UTC-4, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Du, 01 iul 12, 16:51:28, ss11223 wrote:
> > I installed testing on an older machine with an Intel ICH9 controller on the
> > mother board. Alsa reports that there is no audio card found.
>
> Show us
> Please also include outputs of the following commands:
>
> aplay -l
> aplay -L
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> lsmod | grep snd
> lspci -nn | grep -i audio
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --

Ah, today /etc/init.d/alsa-utils start no longer complains of no sound card, but
the sound still only comes out of the motherboard speaker.

I get:

ajms@escort:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop
[ ok ] Shutting down ALSA...done.
ajms@escort:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils start
[ ok ] Setting up ALSA...done.
ajms@escort:~$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
ajms@escort:~$ aplay -L
default
Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
sysdefault:CARD=Intel
HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, STAC92xx Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
ajms@escort:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0x93220000 irq 47
ajms@escort:~$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_codec_idt 44792 1
snd_hda_intel 21856 2
snd_hda_codec 63477 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_idt
snd_hwdep 12943 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 53390 2 snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_page_alloc 12867 2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
snd_seq 39487 0
snd_seq_device 13016 1 snd_seq
snd_timer 22356 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 42691 12 snd_timer,snd_seq_device,snd_seq,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep ,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_idt
soundcore 12921 1 snd
ajms@escort:~$ lspci -nn | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] (rev 02)

Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Ma, 03 iul 12, 14:25:21, ss11223 wrote:

> Ah, today /etc/init.d/alsa-utils start no longer complains of no sound card, but
> the sound still only comes out of the motherboard speaker.

Play with your mixer settings while running

speaker-test -c2

(you can stop it with Ctrl+C), or post the output o 'amixer'.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 07-08-2012, 07:42 PM
ss11223

On Friday, July 6, 2012 5:00:01 AM UTC-4, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Ma, 03 iul 12, 14:25:21, ss11223 wrote:
> >
> > Ah, today /etc/init.d/alsa-utils start no longer complains of no sound card, but
> > the sound still only comes out of the motherboard speaker.
>
> Play with your mixer settings while running
>
> speaker-test -c2
>
> (you can stop it with Ctrl+C), or post the output o 'amixer'.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
Not sure what this is supposed to do. amixer gives:

ajms@escort:~$ amixer
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 65536
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 65536 [100%] [on]
Front Right: Playback 65536 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 65536
Front Left: Capture 29274 [45%] [off]
Front Right: Capture 29274 [45%] [off]
ajms@escort:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

speaker-test -c2 only hisses for the left speaker.

The only mixer options I get is Master for built-in audio analog sterio

Stuart

Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Du, 08 iul 12, 12:42:11, ss11223 wrote:

> Not sure what this is supposed to do. amixer gives:
>
> ajms@escort:~$ amixer
> Simple mixer control 'Master',0
> Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined penum
> Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
> Limits: Playback 0 - 65536
> Mono:
> Front Left: Playback 65536 [100%] [on]
> Front Right: Playback 65536 [100%] [on]
> Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
> Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined penum
> Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> Limits: Capture 0 - 65536
> Front Left: Capture 29274 [45%] [off]
> Front Right: Capture 29274 [45%] [off]

Looks good.

> speaker-test -c2 only hisses for the left speaker.

Only left, are you sure? It should alternate between left and right, so
you might want to check your cables and speakers (and any volume/balance
settings they might have).

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 PM
ss11223

> > speaker-test -c2 only hisses for the left speaker.
>
> Only left, are you sure? It should alternate between left and right, so
> you might want to check your cables and speakers (and any volume/balance
> settings they might have).
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --

Remember, it is playing out of the chassis (motherboard) speaker, not the
audio connectors!

--Stuart

Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Ma, 10 iul 12, 13:09:19, ss11223 wrote:

> > > speaker-test -c2 only hisses for the left speaker.
> >
> > Only left, are you sure? It should alternate between left and right, so
> > you might want to check your cables and speakers (and any volume/balance
> > settings they might have).
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Andrei
> > --
>
> Remember, it is playing out of the chassis (motherboard) speaker, not the
> audio connectors!

My bad, I read "from" instead of "for" in your previous message.
Anything interesting in your BIOS settings?

Kind regards,
Andrei