Old 07-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Florian Lindner

Default apticron reporting errors, aptitude not

Hello,

I use apticron on my debian stable server to get notified about updates.

Lately I keep getting messages like:

/etc/cron.daily/apticron:
W: Fehlschlag beim Holen von
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/Release.gpg Verbindung
mit ftp.de.debian.org:80 nicht möglich (141.76.2.4). - connect (110:
Die Wartezeit für die Verbindung ist abgelaufen)

W: Fehlschlag beim Holen von
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/i18n/Translation-de.bz2
Verbindung mit ftp.de.debian.org:http nicht möglich:

[...]

first message is a timeout, second (which is repeated a couple of
times) is a connection not possible.

Though aptitude seems to work:

h1774498:~# aptitude update
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release.gpg
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-de
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en
Hit http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg
Hit http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-de
Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/non-free Translation-de
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/non-free Translation-en
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release
Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/non-free Translation-de
Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/non-free Translation-en
Hit http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze Release
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/non-free amd64 Packages
Hit http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze/non-free amd64 Packages

Still I am a bit worried since I have a feeling that I haven't gotten
any new packages for quite some time:

h1774498:~# aptitude full-upgrade
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

Anyone got an idea what's the problem here?

Thanks,

Florian

Old 07-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Chris Bannister

On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 05:59:58PM +0200, Florian Lindner wrote:
> Lately I keep getting messages like:
>
> /etc/cron.daily/apticron:
> W: Fehlschlag beim Holen von
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/Release.gpg Verbindung
> mit ftp.de.debian.org:80 nicht möglich (141.76.2.4). - connect (110:
> Die Wartezeit für die Verbindung ist abgelaufen)
>
> W: Fehlschlag beim Holen von
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/i18n/Translation-de.bz2
> Verbindung mit ftp.de.debian.org:http nicht möglich:
>
> [...]
>
> first message is a timeout, second (which is repeated a couple of
> times) is a connection not possible.

Don't know about apticron, sorry.

Can anyone help here regarding apticron?

> Though aptitude seems to work:

[...]

> h1774498:~# aptitude full-upgrade
> No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

squeeze only gets security updates and the occasional point release.
You should check that you have received the latest security upgrades.

http://www.debian.org/security/
http://www.debian.org/security/dsa
http://www.debian.org/./security/dsa-long

oppressing." --- Malcolm X