Old 07-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Richard Owlett

Default CD/DVD diagnostic tools needed

I'm having various random problems installing from Live CD's.
The problems are weird, inconsistent, and intermittent.
The first thing is to determine whether or not I have faulty
hardware, be it the target box or the box that burns the CD.

I've already run memtest86 and Seagate disk diagnostics
demonstrating that problems from that area is unlikely.

I need two diagnostics:
1. verify what's on the CD matches the ISO from which it
was generated.
[already have verified that the downloaded MD5SUM
matches repository]

2. verify target system reads CD/DVD correctly.

For the first I require both Linux and Windows versions.
The second should probably be a Live CD itself.

Any ideas?
TIA

Archive: 4FF05EFD.9010709@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FF05EFD.9010709@cloud85.net

Old 07-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 09:30:21 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> I'm having various random problems installing from Live CD's. The
> problems are weird, inconsistent, and intermittent. The first thing is
> to determine whether or not I have faulty hardware, be it the target box
> or the box that burns the CD.

Optical media is more and more becoming a complete headache. Have you
considered installing from USB stick instead?

Anyway, for inconsistent errors (now works, now doesn't), sometimes is
better to replace the DVD drive for a new one (specially when is "old"
for today standards which means 4/5 years), and given their current
prices (~25€) that's something affordable.

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/index.en.html#verify

> 2. verify target system reads CD/DVD correctly.

(...)

Is your CD/DVD reader capable of booting from it?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón