-   -   Reports of (Debian?) Linux kernel 2.6.32 livelocking when notified of leap second (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/679002-reports-debian-linux-kernel-2-6-32-livelocking-when-notified-leap-second.html)

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 07-01-2012 01:36 PM

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012, Andy Smith wrote:
> Has anyone been seeing this sort of thing in the last 22-ish hours?
>
> http://serverfault.com/questions/403732/anyone-else-experiencing-high-rates-of-linux-server-crashes-today

No problems with the kernel in _up-to-date_ Debian userspace and kernels, at
least in stable. I will know about oldstable on monday.

Now, I've had a few java apps get a bit crazy, might have been this:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/6/30/122

And it happened on latest kernel 3.0, so if it indeed is the hrtimers issue,
it is on more kernels than just 3.4.4/3.5.

Henrique Holschuh

Joe 07-01-2012 09:18 PM

Reports of (Debian?) Linux kernel 2.6.32 livelocking when notified of leap second

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:52:21 +0000
Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone been seeing this sort of thing in the last 22-ish hours?
>
> http://serverfault.com/questions/403732/anyone-else-experiencing-high-rates-of-linux-server-crashes-today
>
> I've run adjtimex -p on all of my servers and they're all reporting
> status 17, which as far as I can tell means they've already been sent
> adjtimex()by ntpd and will add a leap second at midnight.
>
> As I understand the reports so far, the livelock would happen at the
> point where ntpd sends the adjtime(), soif they haven't locked
> already then they aren't going to.

I didn't find out about this until last night, when I shut down ntpd on
the two Squeeze machines I look after. Obviously that was far too late,
as both machines did the leap-second thing at midnight, and neither had
been affected by the problem.

I've since seen it described as the result of a race hazard, so it
would seem to be a matter of chance whether a particular machine had a
problem.

--
Joe