Old 07-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Jude DaShiell

Default new kernel breaks postgresql on postgresql upgrade

The transition from postgresql 8.4 to postgresql 9.1 almost worked over
here except for a little matter of the linux kernel's shm value. This
broke when I was involved with pg_upgradecluster and afterwards 9.1
wouldn't start. End result, all of postgresql has been removed from this
machine. Fortunately mysql either has no shm variable size dependency or
is a little better at handling it or a little more reasonable in its
requirements.

Microsoft: It never looses its suction.

Jude
<jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>

Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Chris Bannister

On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 04:49:32AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> The transition from postgresql 8.4 to postgresql 9.1 almost worked over
> here except for a little matter of the linux kernel's shm value. This
> broke when I was involved with pg_upgradecluster and afterwards 9.1
> wouldn't start. End result, all of postgresql has been removed from this
> machine.

Ouch!! That should not have happened. I vaguely remember running into
the same problem.

Adding: "kernel.shmmax = 40000000" into /etc/sysctl.conf fixed it for
me. Have you lost all your data?

This was a while ago, but because I'd botched a postgresql upgrade at
sometime in the past I was extra careful to double check each step.

It is essential to read all files in /usr/share/doc/postgresql*
on a major version upgrade.

My upgrade from postgresql 8.4 to postgresql 9.1 was OK once I knew
about the "kernel.shmmax" variable.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 07-02-2012, 03:05 AM
Jude DaShiell

I was fortunate in that I hadn't put any data into that database system
yet. The 40,000,000 value for shm is higher than the 34 million and
change value that postgresql was using before and that would explain why
this failure happened. However, it will be a good idea to fix the
postgresql 9.1 packages so they increase that shm value for installs
especially new installs from tasksel. Otherwise those won't go smoothly.
I had cleared all of postgresql from the machine using --purge with remove
in aptitude and this error continued on a subsequent install attempt with
tasksel.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:22 AM
Chris Bannister

On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 11:05:29PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I was fortunate in that I hadn't put any data into that database system
> yet. The 40,000,000 value for shm is higher than the 34 million and

That 40000000 was just some arbitrary value I threw in, I don't know
what it should be.

> change value that postgresql was using before and that would explain why
> this failure happened. However, it will be a good idea to fix the
> postgresql 9.1 packages so they increase that shm value for installs

I'm fairly sure that a package shouldn't go around changing system
values which is the responsibility of some other package.

> especially new installs from tasksel. Otherwise those won't go smoothly.
> I had cleared all of postgresql from the machine using --purge with remove
> in aptitude and this error continued on a subsequent install attempt with
> tasksel.

Could you report a bug please, against the postgresql 9.1 package using reportbug?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X