Old 07-01-2012, 08:16 AM
brian

Default Warning/error messages

Hi folks,

I'm getting an occasional error message come up while using my PC. An
example is

Message from syslogd@brian at Jul 1 03:51:12 ...
kernel:[ 4686.824012] Code: 24 40 48 89 44 24 10 48 8d 44 24 20 4c 89 4c 24 48 c7 44 24 08 10 00 00 00 48 89 44 24 18 e8 5a ff ff ff 48 83 c4 58 c3 90 89 f0 <b9> 40 00 00 00 99 f7 f9 31 d2 eb 0b 48 ff c2 48 83 7c d7 f8 00

Message from syslogd@brian at Jul 1 03:51:12 ...
kernel:[ 4686.825066] Stack:

Message from syslogd@brian at Jul 1 03:51:12 ...
kernel:[ 4686.825066] Call Trace:

There doesn't seem to be any ill-effects, the PC keeps on working OK
as far as I can tell, but I don't like unexplained messages. Can
anyone tell me what's going on?

The system is an AMD Phenom X4, running Debian SID, patches are
reasonably up to date (within the last few days), XFCE desktop. The
two things which I've installed which I know are running daemons are
PostgreSQL and Apache. When the messages above came up, all the PC was
doing was running Thunderbird and downloading the latest updates in a
console.

Does anyone have any ideas, please? The byte string looks a bit
specific to try plugging it into Google, which is my usual approach
for error messages that I don't understand.

Thanks,

Brian.

Archive: 4FF00757.5050703@meadows.pair.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FF00757.5050703@meadows.pair.com

Old 07-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 04:16:23 -0400, brian wrote:

> I'm getting an occasional error message come up while using my PC. An
> example is

(...)

> Message from syslogd@brian at Jul 1 03:51:12 ...
> kernel:[ 4686.825066] Call Trace:

Better if you upload the full segfault at www.pastebin.com so we can read
the complete message. A "call trace" indicates a kernel "oops" but you
removed most of the data.

> There doesn't seem to be any ill-effects, the PC keeps on working OK as
> far as I can tell, but I don't like unexplained messages. Can anyone
> tell me what's going on?

(...)

Kernel oopses are better tracked in Debian BTS where devels can tell you
what things you can try and how to debug :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Curt

On 2012-07-01, brian <brian@meadows.pair.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas, please? The byte string looks a bit
> specific to try plugging it into Google, which is my usual approach
> for error messages that I don't understand.

I stuck the string into google anyway (in quotes "code: ...") and it
came back with this (in Russian):

http://www.linux.org.ru/forum/linux-hardware/6654525

Doesn't seem like the issue was resolved, so probably not helpful.
Person is running "Debian system 64 3.0.1 vanilla kernel".

Old 07-01-2012, 12:11 PM
brian