Old 06-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Camaleón

Default VMBuilder for for squeeze

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:40:44 -0700, anotst01 wrote:

> I need a tool to create VM images.
>
> Is there something like VMBuilder, but compatible with squeeze?

There's a repo in launchpad for that tool, have you tried it? :-?

http://wiki.debian.org/VMBuilder

In Debian repos I see the "virtinst" package but can't commen't as I
never used it before.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-30-2012, 09:04 PM

virt-install requires user input (mouse, keyboard). I should have said,
I need an unattended vm creator.

VMBuilder from launchpad can only create Ubuntu images.

http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html

Old 07-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 14:04:37 -0700, anotst01 wrote:

> virt-install requires user input (mouse, keyboard). I should have said,
> I need an unattended vm creator.

Manual says it can be run unattended, maybe you can check this point.

> VMBuilder from launchpad can only create Ubuntu images.

Then check at the pkg-escience Debian git repository as wiki mentions.
Should there's any package suitable for Squeeze is has to be there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-01-2012, 02:27 PM

virt-install can not really install unattended.
1. it installs inside a VM, which was the whole point of VMBuilder, that
his is not neccessary. Ok, overlooking this one...
2. It relies on preseed or kickstart. These methods have other glitches,
removing any advantages of a VMBuilder like approach.

http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html

Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 07:27:10 -0700, anotst01 wrote:

(I don't know why but your messages are kept unthreaded)

> virt-install can not really install unattended.

How bad... the documents seemed to point otherwise ;-(

> 1. it installs inside a VM, which was the whole point of VMBuilder,
> that his is not neccessary. Ok, overlooking this one... 2. It relies on
> preseed or kickstart. These methods have other glitches, removing any
> advantages of a VMBuilder like approach.

How you checked if the VMBuilder files for Debian are now supporting
Squeeze?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Tom H

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM, <anotst01@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> virt-install can not really install unattended.
> 1. it installs inside a VM, which was the whole point of VMBuilder, that
> his is not neccessary. Ok, overlooking this one...
> 2. It relies on preseed or kickstart. These methods have other glitches,
> removing any advantages of a VMBuilder like approach.

I've never used VMBuilder so I have no idea what advantages it may or
may not have v/s virt-install but you can definitely use dirt-install
to perform an unattended install using '--extra-args="..."' to point
to a pressed file - and there are no glitches. If you do run in to
glitches you should file a bug report.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Bob Proulx

anotst01@fastmail.fm wrote:
> virt-install can not really install unattended.

Hmm... I guess I have been doing something wrong since I have been
using it for unattended installs for a while now.

> 1. it installs inside a VM, which was the whole point of VMBuilder, that
> his is not neccessary. Ok, overlooking this one...

I am not quite sure what you are referring to here. It launches a VM.
That is the whole point. It is just like a real system. And then the
installation can be automated and unattended if desired. That is
really a second and independent piece.

If you were installing on a full physical system and not a virtual
machine how would you prefer to install it so that it would be
unattended to your preference?

> 2. It relies on preseed or kickstart. These methods have other glitches,
> removing any advantages of a VMBuilder like approach.

It builds a virtual machine. If you use the VM to install using
debian-installer then you will want to use a preseed file to make it
fully unattended. But I don't know of any "glitches". Perhaps we can
help with particular details? And it isn't required to use the
debian-installer and other methods such as copying over a pre-built
image can be used too. I normally run the d-i using a preseed file.
Works for me!

Bob