FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-30-2012, 04:16 PM
lina
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

Hi,

The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.) Now the
monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.

I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,

Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
connect from laptop.
or
shall I just find other monitor and connect?

Thanks with best regards,


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAG9cJm=a6B2QezzPZ6RLk=2dikj-2Mqmbe6wkacm2jaWjTc4eA@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 06-30-2012, 04:20 PM
lina
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:16 AM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.) *Now the
> monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.
>
> I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,
>
> Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
> connect from laptop.

Is it cable dependent? I know it sounds very silly, Once I switch the
cable, will the ...

Thanks ahead for your suggestions,

Best regards,

> or
> shall I just find other monitor and connect?
>
> Thanks with best regards,


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAG9cJmnqaxqUEwE_JpDY=un+9sz0CxmQvpFwHfxuT+XAoYd0w w@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 06-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Johan Grönqvist
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

2012-06-30 18:16, lina skrev:

Hi,

The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.) Now the
monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.

I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,

Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
connect from laptop.
or
shall I just find other monitor and connect?



That seems to be the simplest solution, if you have a working monitor.

So you have a working computer, but without monitor, and you want to
know its IP-address? I assume your laptop is connected to the same
router as the monitorless computer.


I would have two suggestions.

1) Log into the router, and see what IP-addresses have been given out
recently, and try connecting to them.


2) Install zenmap on the laptop, find the IP-address range the router
uses (mine uses 10.0.1.*, most I have used use 192.168.0.* or
192.168.1.*). Run a quick scan with zenmap on that range of
IP-addresses, and see which ones have an ssh-port open.


Then try to connect to those.


Regards

Johan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jsn9e7$cr0$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 06-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Andrei POPESCU
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

On Du, 01 iul 12, 00:20:46, lina wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:16 AM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.) *Now the
> > monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.
> >
> > I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,
> >
> > Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
> > connect from laptop.

What do you know about your network configuration? Are the two computers
in the same subnet? Are there more computers in the same subnet? Could
you type something blindly at the desktop?

> Is it cable dependent? I know it sounds very silly, Once I switch the
> cable, will the ...
>
> Thanks ahead for your suggestions,
>
> Best regards,
>
> > or
> > shall I just find other monitor and connect?

That would be easiest, of course

Kind regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 06-30-2012, 04:46 PM
lina
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM, Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Du, 01 iul 12, 00:20:46, lina wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:16 AM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.) *Now the
>> > monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.
>> >
>> > I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,
>> >
>> > Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
>> > connect from laptop.
>
> What do you know about your network configuration? Are the two computers
> in the same subnet? Are there more computers in the same subnet? Could
> you type something blindly at the desktop?

I barely know. I guess they are in the same subnet, yes I guess there
are some other Windows computers in other rooms.

I had typed, tried to login several times, ssh showed me Connection
timed out, the ddclient was used.

>
>> Is it cable dependent? I know it sounds very silly, Once I switch the
>> cable, will the ...
>>
>> Thanks ahead for your suggestions,
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> > or
>> > shall I just find other monitor and connect?
>
> That would be easiest, of course
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --
> Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAG9cJmkdC3ifWtbriX9ZdSJ7TmYbUZScFz5dU1SDcW+OB2iKr g@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAG9cJmkdC3ifWtbriX9ZdSJ7TmYbUZScFz5dU1SDcW+OB2iKr g@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 06-30-2012, 05:03 PM
lina
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Johan Grönqvist
<johan.gronqvist@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012-06-30 18:16, lina skrev:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.) *Now the
>> monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.
>>
>> I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,
>>
>> Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
>> connect from laptop.
>> or
>> shall I just find other monitor and connect?
>>
>
> That seems to be the simplest solution, if you have a working monitor.
>
> So you have a working computer, but without monitor, and you want to know
> its IP-address? I assume your laptop is connected to the same router as the
> monitorless computer.
>
> I would have two suggestions.
>
> 1) Log into the router, and see what IP-addresses have been given out
> recently, and try connecting to them.

>
> 2) Install zenmap on the laptop, find the IP-address range the router uses
> (mine uses 10.0.1.*, most I have used use 192.168.0.* or 192.168.1.*). Run a
> quick scan with zenmap on that range of IP-addresses, and see which ones
> have an ssh-port open.

Thanks for your suggestions, what does this stand for in my syslog
dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 172.21.4.128 port 67

There are some network printers and lots of other when I tried
172.21.48.* mine is inet addr:172.21.48.67

Discovered open port 22/tcp on 172.21.48.67
Discovered open port 22/tcp on 172.21.48.216
Discovered open port 22/tcp on 172.21.48.255
Discovered open port 22/tcp on 172.21.48.131
Discovered open port 22/tcp on 172.21.48.221
Discovered open port 22/tcp on 172.21.48.222
Discovered open port 22/tcp on 172.21.48.135

is 131 is mine desktop one or 135? Is it going to be impolite if I
try connect one by one?

>
> Then try to connect to those.

Thanks with best regards,
>
>
> Regards
>
> Johan
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject
> of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jsn9e7$cr0$1@dough.gmane.org
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAG9cJm=tHSQ=n7MhXpjyJzge+-GkfNbjiQnZ1eh1S0AhezeJTg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 06-30-2012, 05:19 PM
lina
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Johan Grönqvist
<johan.gronqvist@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012-06-30 18:16, lina skrev:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.) *Now the
>> monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.
>>
>> I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,
>>
>> Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
>> connect from laptop.
>> or
>> shall I just find other monitor and connect?
>>
>
> That seems to be the simplest solution, if you have a working monitor.
>
> So you have a working computer, but without monitor, and you want to know
> its IP-address? I assume your laptop is connected to the same router as the
> monitorless computer.
>
> I would have two suggestions.
>
> 1) Log into the router, and see what IP-addresses have been given out
> recently, and try connecting to them.
>
> 2) Install zenmap on the laptop, find the IP-address range the router uses
> (mine uses 10.0.1.*, most I have used use 192.168.0.* or 192.168.1.*). Run a
> quick scan with zenmap on that range of IP-addresses, and see which ones
> have an ssh-port open.
>
> Then try to connect to those.

I shutdown, use zenmap, restart and scan again,

but the newly two IPs I still failed to connect.

Thanks for your suggestions, tomorrow I will borrow some monitor,
don't want to buy one. haha ..
>
>
> Regards
>
> Johan
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject
> of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jsn9e7$cr0$1@dough.gmane.org
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAG9cJm=fj9iu0eW814ctKkS-4P9PNz46YBsF+AGGj47HV-Curw@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 06-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Camaleón
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 00:16:22 +0800, lina wrote:

> The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.) Now the
> monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.

Is hardware that broke?

> I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,
>
> Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
> connect from laptop.
> or
> shall I just find other monitor and connect?

How about "arp -n"?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jsndcj$djv$17@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 06-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Lisi
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

On Saturday 30 June 2012 17:27:52 Johan Grönqvist wrote:
>
> > I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,
> >
> > Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
> > connect from laptop.
> > or
> > shall I just find other monitor and connect?
>
> That seems to be the simplest solution, if you have a working monitor.
>
> So you have a working computer, but without monitor, and you want to
> know its IP-address? I assume your laptop is connected to the same
> router as the monitorless computer.
>
> I would have two suggestions.
>
> 1) Log into the router, and see what IP-addresses have been given out
> recently, and try connecting to them.

I did exactly this the other day, when faced with logging into another
computer to which I had not at that moment got physical access. It was easy,
and worked fine.

It probably helped that I knew what was where on my router.

Lisi



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201206301851.39977.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201206301851.39977.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 06-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Lisi
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

On Saturday 30 June 2012 18:19:41 lina wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Johan Grönqvist
>
> <johan.gronqvist@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2012-06-30 18:16, lina skrev:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.) *Now the
> >> monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.
> >>
> >> I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,
> >>
> >> Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
> >> connect from laptop.
> >> or
> >> shall I just find other monitor and connect?
> >
> > That seems to be the simplest solution, if you have a working monitor.
> >
> > So you have a working computer, but without monitor, and you want to know
> > its IP-address? I assume your laptop is connected to the same router as
> > the monitorless computer.
> >
> > I would have two suggestions.
> >
> > 1) Log into the router, and see what IP-addresses have been given out
> > recently, and try connecting to them.
> >
> > 2) Install zenmap on the laptop, find the IP-address range the router
> > uses (mine uses 10.0.1.*, most I have used use 192.168.0.* or
> > 192.168.1.*). Run a quick scan with zenmap on that range of IP-addresses,
> > and see which ones have an ssh-port open.
> >
> > Then try to connect to those.
>
> I shutdown, use zenmap, restart and scan again,
>
> but the newly two IPs I still failed to connect.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions, tomorrow I will borrow some monitor,
> don't want to buy one. haha ..

Have you tried the method of seeing what devices, by IP, are connected to your
router? It does not sound as though you have a massive network.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201206301854.29000.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201206301854.29000.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org