FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Erwan David
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

On 30/06/12 19:51, Lisi wrote:
> On Saturday 30 June 2012 17:27:52 Johan Grönqvist wrote:
> >
>>> I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,
>>>
>>> Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
>>> connect from laptop.
>>> or
>>> shall I just find other monitor and connect?
>>
>> That seems to be the simplest solution, if you have a working monitor.
>>
>> So you have a working computer, but without monitor, and you want to
>> know its IP-address? I assume your laptop is connected to the same
>> router as the monitorless computer.
>>
>> I would have two suggestions.
>>
>> 1) Log into the router, and see what IP-addresses have been given out
>> recently, and try connecting to them.
>
> I did exactly this the other day, when faced with logging into another
> computer to which I had not at that moment got physical access. It was easy,
> and worked fine.
>
> It probably helped that I knew what was where on my router.
>

Without being on the router, but being on the same network, nmap may help.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4FEF434E.6050801@rail.eu.org">http://lists.debian.org/4FEF434E.6050801@rail.eu.org
 
Old 06-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Camaleón
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

El 2012-07-01 a las 02:11 +0800, lina escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On 1 Jul, 2012, at 1:35, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 00:16:22 +0800, lina wrote:
> >
> >> The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.) Now the
> >> monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.
> >
> > Is hardware that broke?
>
> The electrical wire. It gave me some scary sounds.

Just the cable or the power supply?

> >> I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,
> >>
> >> Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
> >> connect from laptop.
> >> or
> >> shall I just find other monitor and connect?
> >
> > How about "arp -n"?
>
> I will try tomorrow. I have not used it for long. I guess the password I had tried not correct.

What password do you mean? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120630194314.GA7053@stt008.linux.site">http://lists.debian.org/20120630194314.GA7053@stt008.linux.site
 
Old 07-01-2012, 04:20 AM
lina
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> El 2012-07-01 a las 02:11 +0800, lina escribió:
>
> (resending to the list)
>
>> On 1 Jul, 2012, at 1:35, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 00:16:22 +0800, lina wrote:
>> >
>> >> The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.) *Now the
>> >> monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.
>> >
>> > Is hardware that broke?
>>
>> The electrical wire. It gave me some scary sounds.
>
> Just the cable or the power supply?
Kinda of very silly though,
the electrical wire connected to monitors didn't connect well,
so there was some sound of the leakage of electricity. I thought the
monitor had problem.

>
>> >> I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,
>> >>
>> >> Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
>> >> connect from laptop.
>> >> or
>> >> shall I just find other monitor and connect?
>> >
>> > How about "arp -n"?
>>
>> I will try tomorrow. *I have not used it for long. *I guess the password I had tried not correct.
>
> What password do you mean? :-?

I checked. Strangely there was no IP detected at the first minutes I
logged in, it gets well after ifup eth0.

>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120630194314.GA7053@stt008.linux.site
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAG9cJmn3-0ftV+UbLYb_aaxVpvo_=5RtECHexDSo5kzm5bs3vA@mail.gma il.com
 
Old 07-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Camaleón
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 12:20:30 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The electrical wire. It gave me some scary sounds.
>>
>> Just the cable or the power supply?

> Kinda of very silly though,
> the electrical wire connected to monitors didn't connect well, so there
> was some sound of the leakage of electricity. I thought the monitor had
> problem.

Can't you replace the power cord or reseat to be properly connected so
that it makes good contact?

>>> > How about "arp -n"?
>>>
>>> I will try tomorrow. *I have not used it for long. *I guess the
>>> password I had tried not correct.
>>
>> What password do you mean? :-?
>
> I checked. Strangely there was no IP detected at the first minutes I
> logged in, it gets well after ifup eth0.

I don't follow you.

"arp" command can be useful to discover the usual systems you are
connected to (for instance, I see my gateways and computers I tend to
connect for accessing the samba shares or download e-mail) so if the
neighbor machine you want to discover is still cached, it will be printed.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jsp4kf$69j$8@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 PM
lina
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 12:20:30 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>> The electrical wire. It gave me some scary sounds.
>>>
>>> Just the cable or the power supply?
>
>> Kinda of very silly though,
>> the electrical wire connected to monitors didn't connect well, so there
>> was some sound of the leakage of electricity. I thought the monitor had
>> problem.
>
> Can't you replace the power cord or reseat to be properly connected so
> that it makes good contact?
>
>>>> > How about "arp -n"?
>>>>
>>>> I will try tomorrow. *I have not used it for long. *I guess the
>>>> password I had tried not correct.
>>>
>>> What password do you mean? :-?
>>
>> I checked. Strangely there was no IP detected at the first minutes I
>> logged in, it gets well after ifup eth0.
>
> I don't follow you.
>
> "arp" command can be useful to discover the usual systems you are

I don't know how to use the arp,

$ arp -n
bash: arp: command not found

aptitude search arp
shows me lots information, shall I install

arp-scan
arpalert
arpd
arping
arpon
arptables
arpwatch


BTW, I did a scan for my laptop,

partial result:

Host script results:

| smb-security-mode:
| Account that was used for smb scripts: guest
| User-level authentication
| SMB Security: Challenge/response passwords supported
|_ Message signing disabled (dangerous, but default)
|_smbv2-enabled: Server doesn't support SMBv2 protocol

Shall I do something? to harden my system. Is it dangerous?

Thanks,

> connected to (for instance, I see my gateways and computers I tend to
> connect for accessing the samba shares or download e-mail) so if the
> neighbor machine you want to discover is still cached, it will be printed.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jsp4kf$69j$8@dough.gmane.org
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAG9cJmn4f8Oh-vgHfe-2V694qG1_ehRJAhwNbwjHC2w_eacwaA@mail.gmail.com">ht tp://lists.debian.org/CAG9cJmn4f8Oh-vgHfe-2V694qG1_ehRJAhwNbwjHC2w_eacwaA@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 07-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Camaleón
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 20:00:14 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> I checked. Strangely there was no IP detected at the first minutes I
>>> logged in, it gets well after ifup eth0.
>>
>> I don't follow you.
>>
>> "arp" command can be useful to discover the usual systems you are
>
> I don't know how to use the arp,
>
> $ arp -n
> bash: arp: command not found

It has to be run as root.

> aptitude search arp
> shows me lots information, shall I install

(...)

whereis arp

> BTW, I did a scan for my laptop,

A scan for what and how exactly? Using nmap? :-?

(...)

> Shall I do something? to harden my system. Is it dangerous?

The results for that scan are explained here:

http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/smb-security-mode.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jspm4c$69j$24@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 07-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Andrew Reid
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

> Hi,
>
> The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.) Now the
> monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.
>
> I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,
>
> Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
> connect from laptop.
> or
> shall I just find other monitor and connect?

If it's on the same subnet as your laptop, you may be able to
find it via the laptop's ARP cache -- this is the mechanism the
kernel uses to map controller MAC addresses to IP addresses.

Alternatively, if it's gotten a DHCP assignment from your
home router, you can probably go in to the router's set-up
interface, and find the table of DHCP assignments it has handed
out, and see if there's one you don't recognize.

If all that fails, if it's a small address space (like 192.168.1.*),
it s a simple matter to just ping every address in the space and see
if there's a live one you didn't know about. If the machine doesn't
answer ping requests, a more complicated way would be to run a
port-scanner from the laptop, and see what it finds.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201207011101.34845.reidac@bellatlantic.net">http://lists.debian.org/201207011101.34845.reidac@bellatlantic.net
 
Old 07-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Camaleón
 
Default How to find the desktop near me?

El 2012-07-01 a las 22:52 +0800, lina escribió:

(resending to the list. Lina, be careful when you hit the reply button...)

> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

> >> Shall I do something? to harden my system. Is it dangerous?
> >
> > The results for that scan are explained here:
> >
> > http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/smb-security-mode.html
>
> I feel something wrong here.
>
> ssh: Could not resolve hostname xxxx: Name or service not known

Lina, sorry to say this but your messages are completely unrelated each
other and you provide no context at all, how do you think people can
understand what are you trying to do or what you are testing? :-/

> from syslog:
>
>
> Jul 1 22:43:12 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'dns230.a.register.com/AAAA' (in 'register.com'?) after disabling EDNS
> Jul 1 22:43:12 Debian named[1695]: error (insecurity proof failed)
> resolving 'bugzilla.mozilla.org/AAAA/IN': 63.245.215.5#53
> Jul 1 22:43:13 Debian named[1695]: success resolving 'org/DNSKEY' (in
> 'org'?) after reducing the advertised EDNS UDP packet size to 512
> octets
> Jul 1 22:43:13 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'www.thoughtcrime.org/A' (in 'thoughtcrime.org'?) after reducing the
> advertised EDNS UDP packet size to 512 octets
> Jul 1 22:43:13 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'www.thoughtcrime.org/AAAA' (in 'thoughtcrime.org'?) after reducing
> the advertised EDNS UDP packet size to 512 octets
> Jul 1 22:43:14 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'bugzilla.dynect.mozilla.net/A' (in 'dynect.mozilla.net'?) after
> reducing the advertised EDNS UDP packet size to 512 octets
> Jul 1 22:43:14 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'g2.gtld-servers.net/AAAA' (in 'gtld-servers.net'?) after disabling
> EDNS
> Jul 1 22:43:14 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'ns1.activeby.net/AAAA' (in 'activeby.net'?) after disabling EDNS
> Jul 1 22:43:14 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'ns3.activeby.net/AAAA' (in 'activeby.net'?) after disabling EDNS
> Jul 1 22:43:14 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'ns2.activeby.net/AAAA' (in 'activeby.net'?) after disabling EDNS
> Jul 1 22:43:16 Debian named[1695]: error (network unreachable)
> resolving 'ns5.register.com/AAAA/IN': 2001:503:231d::2:30#53
> Jul 1 22:43:16 Debian named[1695]: error (network unreachable)
> resolving 'ns3.register.com/AAAA/IN': 2001:503:231d::2:30#53
> Jul 1 22:43:18 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'bugzilla.zlb.phx.mozilla.net/A' (in 'mozilla.net'?) after reducing
> the advertised EDNS UDP packet size to 512 octets
> Jul 1 22:43:18 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'ns3.p27.dynect.net/A' (in 'dynect.net'?) after disabling EDNS
> Jul 1 22:43:18 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'ns2.p27.dynect.net/AAAA' (in 'dynect.net'?) after disabling EDNS
> Jul 1 22:43:18 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'ns3.p27.dynect.net/AAAA' (in 'dynect.net'?) after disabling EDNS
> Jul 1 22:43:18 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'ns4.p27.dynect.net/AAAA' (in 'dynect.net'?) after disabling EDNS
> Jul 1 22:43:20 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'ns5.register.com/AAAA' (in 'register.com'?) after reducing the
> advertised EDNS UDP packet size to 512 octets
> Jul 1 22:43:20 Debian named[1695]: success resolving
> 'ns3.register.com/AAAA' (in 'register.com'?) after reducing the
> advertised EDNS UDP packet size to 512 octets
> Jul 1 22:44:18 Debian kernel: [ 1021.722665] applesmc: FS! : read arg fail
> Jul 1 22:44:49 Debian kernel: [ 1051.943448] applesmc: FS! : read arg fail
> Jul 1 22:44:54 Debian kernel: [ 1057.004279] applesmc: FS! : read arg fail
> Jul 1 22:46:57 Debian named[1695]: error (network unreachable)
> resolving 'www.wpacracker.com/AAAA/IN': 2001:4b98:b:a::40#53
> Jul 1 22:46:58 Debian named[1695]: error (network unreachable)
> resolving 'www.cloudcracker.com/AAAA/IN': 2001:4b98:c:521::20#53
> Jul 1 22:46:58 Debian named[1695]: error (network unreachable)
> resolving 'www.cloudcracker.com/AAAA/IN': 2604:3400:a::2#53
>
> Does it look normal? I didn't open those website.

Yes as long as you are running a DNS server and you have configured it
to be your default resolver. Any services in your system (web servers,
e-mail servers...) will query for the above domain names.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120701155945.GA6651@stt008.linux.site">http://lists.debian.org/20120701155945.GA6651@stt008.linux.site
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:09 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org