Old 06-30-2012, 12:38 PM
"Andrey S. Rybak"

Default gnome cannot start without kde

hi all!
I use gnome on testing branch of debian.
Some time ago next strange thing was happened.
In time of starting my computer i cannot achive even command prompt.
Some infinite looping was occuring. But if i choose recovering regime
of downloading there are no problem.
This infinite loop disappear if I install KDE. But i can achieve only
command prompt and after running startx command I get gnome environment
on my screen however.

If I deinstall kde the infinite loop are return.
I think there is problem with gdm3. But where I can look for resolving I
dont know.

help me, please.

Archive: 4FEEF338.8080809@iop.kiev.ua">http://lists.debian.org/4FEEF338.8080809@iop.kiev.ua

Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 PM
"Andrey S. Rybak"

Any message printed in the screen? How does the loop look like, what are
you getting (e.g., are you continously going back to the login screen)?

exactly, yes

You can boot in recovery mode and work from there, at least you will able
to look at the logs (the interesting one should be the "~/.xsession-
errors" file).

But if i choose recovering regime of downloading there are no problem.

I don't understand what you mean here :-?
I can retrieve command prompt If I choose recovery mode in grub menu at
booting time

I want erase kde but I can not because after this erasing the loop
mentioned above occurs. Which setting I should change and where for
normal gnome starting?

Reading xsession logs does not give me any idea about it.
I think the problem is not in X-session but in gdm3, because gdm3 to kdm
changing resolves problem with booting gnome3.

Any idea?

Archive: 4FEF0F31.4000302@iop.kiev.ua">http://lists.debian.org/4FEF0F31.4000302@iop.kiev.ua

Old 06-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 15:38:16 +0300, Andrey S. Rybak wrote:

> I use gnome on testing branch of debian. Some time ago next strange
> thing was happened. In time of starting my computer i cannot achive even
> command prompt. Some infinite looping was occuring.

Any message printed in the screen? How does the loop look like, what are
you getting (e.g., are you continously going back to the login screen)?

You can boot in recovery mode and work from there, at least you will able
to look at the logs (the interesting one should be the "~/.xsession-
errors" file).

> But if i choose recovering regime of downloading there are no problem.

I don't understand what you mean here :-?

> This infinite loop disappear if I install KDE.

How can you install KDE ifyou can't even get a command line?

> But i can achieve only command prompt and after running startx command
> I get gnome environment on my screen however.

You will get first the login manager from where you can choose the
desktop to load.

> If I deinstall kde the infinite loop are return. I think there is
> problem with gdm3. But where I can look for resolving I dont know.
> help me, please.

Look at the Xsession logs.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 17:37:37 +0300, Andrey S. Rybak wrote:

>> Any message printed in the screen? How does the loop look like, what
>> are you getting (e.g., are you continously going back to the login
>> screen)?

> exactly, yes

Okay, this is important.

>> You can boot in recovery mode and work from there, at least you will
>> able to look at the logs (the interesting one should be the
>> "~/.xsession- errors" file).
>>
>>> But if i choose recovering regime of downloading there are no problem.
>> I don't understand what you mean here :-?
> I can retrieve command prompt If I choose recovery mode in grub menu at
> booting time

Good.

> I want erase kde but I can not because after this erasing the loop
> mentioned above occurs. Which setting I should change and where for
> normal gnome starting?
> Reading xsession logs does not give me any idea about it. I think the
> problem is not in X-session but in gdm3, because gdm3 to kdm changing
> resolves problem with booting gnome3. Any idea?

Please, upload the full "~/.xsession-errors" file somewhere (e.g.,
www.pastebin.com) so we can review it. Remember that gdm3 and xsession
are closely related ;-)

Also, there are some related reports at Debian forums and the portuguese
mailing list:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-portuguese/2012/06/msg00163.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-30-2012, 04:09 PM
"Andrey S. Rybak"

pastbin does not take my log for their size ) (over 5mb)

Archive: 4FEF24CE.3070108@iop.kiev.ua">http://lists.debian.org/4FEF24CE.3070108@iop.kiev.ua

Old 06-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 19:09:50 +0300, Andrey S. Rybak wrote:

> pastbin does not take my log for their size ) (over 5mb)

The enormous size of the file tells me the problem is logged there :-)

Upload the file elsewhere, for instance:

http://www.sendspace.com/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 17:24:04 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

> Upload the file elsewhere, for instance:
>
> http://www.sendspace.com/

(you send me the link in private, thanks)

Wow! There are tons of errors... Okay, let me upload to pastebin the full
log for the last session you opened a day ago:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=YbSVyGNG

And this other paste is the first you have in your ".xsession-errors"
file. File, which by the way, is not being rotated...

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=WDciqMC6

There's a difference between them, it seems you were using two login
managers:

Xsession: X session started for ra at Fri Jun 29 13:19:07 EEST 2012
/etc/gdm3/Xsession: Beginning session setup...

Other than that, I don't know from where to start. You only get but
errors and warnings all around but I can't see gdm3 crashing... unless
this message can be related to the crash:

***
Received signal:1->'Hangup'g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer
vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async
read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.

Received signal:15->'Terminated'
***

You were using wheezy, right? I'm not sure what to suggest to solve that
messing... I would try to create a new user and login with it (in a hope
the problem is limited to your current profile) or install XDM or LightDM
(a different login manager) so at least you can still getting into your
GNOME session while the problem is resolved.

Another thing to try is starting from "init 1" and then run "startx" so
you can see in the screen the actual errors coming up when gdm3 is trying
to start.

Let's see if someone can give you more hints.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón