Old 06-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Rodolfo kix Garcia

Default Unable to install grub in mac mini server

Hi,

I have a mac mini server (2011). I installed Debian one year ago and
all was fine. I setup grub without problems, but some days ago the
computers was rebooted and I cannot boot it. I tried to reinstall grub,
but no success.

This is the configuration:

1. Mac mini server has two disks:

disk 1 (sda):
1: efi partition (original size, 210MB), fat32, "no flags"
2: /boot 200mb partition, ext2, "bios_grub flag"
3: md0 partition, ~rest of the disk "raid flag"

disk 2 (sdb):
1: efi partition (original size, 210MB), fat32 "boot flag"
2: swap (8GB), "no flags"
3: md0 partition, ~rest of the disk, "raid flag"

Partition tables use GPT.

2. I have refit installed. Refit boots and I can select the
partitions,...

3. Mac OS X is not installed (see disk partitions)

I can boot with usb drive and rescue disk, select it in refit, boot,
mount the raid as md0 and chroot it. I can install packages, mount the
partitions,... Full access.

I tried a lot of things:

1. Reinstall grub2
2. Install grub in the EFI and boot it with rEFIt
3. Purge grub and reinstall it.
4. Grub installed in the partition, in the mbr...

I got "GRUB loading." and stop. Or "GRUB" and stop.

Any help is welcome.

Is better use only grub without refit? When I run refit partition table
sync the partition table changes from GPT to standard MBR and I am not
sure if that is good.

Is better use rEFIT?

Thanks a lot.
Cheers.
kix
--

Archive: cbda495ad3d2f263392cb1acce1d28cc@kix.es">http://lists.debian.org/cbda495ad3d2f263392cb1acce1d28cc@kix.es

Old 07-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Tom H

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Rodolfo kix Garcia <kix@kix.es> wrote:

> I have a mac mini server (2011). I installed Debian one year ago and all was
> fine. I setup grub without problems, but some days ago the computers was
> rebooted and I cannot boot it. I tried to reinstall grub, but no success.
>
> This is the configuration:
>
> 1. Mac mini server has two disks:
>
> disk 1 (sda):
> 1: efi partition (original size, 210MB), fat32, "no flags"
> 2: /boot 200mb partition, ext2, "bios_grub flag"
> 3: md0 partition, ~rest of the disk "raid flag"
>
> disk 2 (sdb):
> 1: efi partition (original size, 210MB), fat32 "boot flag"
> 2: swap (8GB), "no flags"
> 3: md0 partition, ~rest of the disk, "raid flag"
>
> Partition tables use GPT.
>
> 2. I have refit installed. Refit boots and I can select the partitions,...
> 3. Mac OS X is not installed (see disk partitions)
>
> I can boot with usb drive and rescue disk, select it in refit, boot, mount
> the raid as md0 and chroot it. I can install packages, mount the
> partitions,... Full access.
>
> I tried a lot of things:
>
> 1. Reinstall grub2
> 2. Install grub in the EFI and boot it with rEFIt
> 3. Purge grub and reinstall it.
> 4. Grub installed in the partition, in the mbr...
>
> I got "GRUB loading." and stop. Or "GRUB" and stop.
>
> Is better use only grub without refit? When I run refit partition table sync
> the partition table changes from GPT to standard MBR and I am not sure if
> that is good.
>
> Is better use rEFIT?

Which version of grub2 are you installing?

If it isn't "grub-efi-amd64" can you install that and see if works out.

(I have no idea whether it's better to use rEFIT or not)